Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I feel like Steven's gonna have to fuse with a corrupted gem to heal them. Cause we know it's possible and we know it's dangerous and cause corruption is a mind sickness. Maybe in tandem with the dreamwalker deal. What I'm saying is Stevo has two paths he can take to lick the mind.

• Like x 18
  2. mazarinedrake

mazarinedrake Well-Known Member

That feels like a strong possibility to me, too. With how dangerous and horrible and unstoppable corruption's been set up to be, it would make good narrative sense for the Hero to have to take the ultimate risk in order to cure it.

• Like x 4
  3. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

That would make a lot of sense in conjunction with the setup of his good relations with Centi.

• Like x 2
  4. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Ehhh... I mean, again, I think the main issue was Bismuth was not 'no one should be shattered ever' but that Bismuth was going to make it their standard operating procedure. Also I think Eyeball would have noticed the difference between Rose and GIANTEST WOMAN.

• Like x 12
  5. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

"Where did you get that audience?" "Oh, I made them." *UNCOMFORTABLE PAUSE*

METAHUMOR

WILHELM SCREAM

"Footage provided by Cartoon Network"

"She's not actually in this episode. Do we still have to pay her?"

Faairly sure the Alexandrite fire-breathing is a Ruby thing.

I never metahumor I didn't like, and it's fun to see Sardonyx again. Still, ow right in the feels there. Good episode.

EDIT: HOW COUD I FORGET

"We're experiencing some magical difficulties"

Because they're Gems and they're magic

So it's not technical difficulties

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    • Like x 15
  6. mazarinedrake

Maybe, as a Quartz and leader of the rebellion, Rose is assumed to have been the one driving the fusion? The fusion is assumed by Homeworld to be merely the weapon she used to do it.

• Like x 9
  7. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

After all those other voiceover surprise cameos, guess who else showed up for a second!

[​IMG]

But seriously I am so so happy with this episode. Sardonyx is so cheerfully full of herself, and Smokey Quartz... isn't, exactly. They're both performers, both cracking jokes and showing off, but look at the contrast. Smokey wants to play and show that stuff off, but not really talk about themselves, because they're very down on themselves. Sardonyx wants to banter and be witty, she's so shaped by the sense of others' opinions of her.

And like Sardony'x first appearance, she accidentally hurts the people she's around, because her flashy confidence is sometimes at the expense of insulting others.

And yet, and yet. The moment she realizes that they wanted to show off, they'd been planning it, and that her shenanigans ruined it? She falls apart, completely apart for a minute there. Worry and pain for those she cares about split her this time.

• Like x 16
  8. Charl

Charl Well-Known Member

AHAHAHA YES I CALLED IT.

I'm so glad that Sardonyx figured out she was stepping on their self-esteem issues. "Us Worst Gems gotta stick together, right?" It was upsetting to watch, making the two of them show off all the ways they weren't as good as other fusions. But they got to show off like they wanted to in the end so yaaaaay.

Good message: sometimes you can be insensitive and hurt someone, even with good intentions, and when that happens it's good to pull the brakes instead of getting stubborn and doubling down on being a jerk.

• Like x 16
  9. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Oh man, both those episodes were incredibly fun. I love how they were able to have some cute silly episodes that also featured major character development (Peridot in the former, Garnet and Pearl in the latter)--just goes to show how versatile the Crewniverse is!

Also, I just wanted to say that I'm super grateful that we got a lot of Amethyst-centric episodes in S3. I feel like she tends to get shafted a bit as a character, so I'm so glad they're rectifying that. <3 (I will admit that I was disappointed that Kindergarten Kid wasn't an Amethyst origin story ep, along the lines of The Answer, but I was solely thinking in terms of titles. Given all the development she's been getting lately, I'm hoping we get that episode sooner rather than later.)

• Like x 8
  10. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

that was fun!
    "do we still have to pay her?" what happens when someone leaves in the comments on the script
    augh i love how the past two episodes have been more lighthearted "filler" episodes, but things still happen and we get character development. i just have emotions about what SU can do in ten minutes! there are two hour movies that don't do as much as SU in 10 minutes

Also this happened today
    Mom: I'm Pearl
    Me:...yeah. Yeah. Yyyyep. ...when have you been watching Steven Universe?!

I think she watched like five minutes and decided she was Pearl XD. They both have the same desire for things to be just right and issues with anxiety and worrying

• Like x 10
  11. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

These past few episodes have really been building on Steven and Amethyst's relationship. So, does this mean we're gonna see more of Smoky Quartz? I can't wait to see more "brother/sister interactions" between them!

• Like x 6
  12. raginghearts

raginghearts Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why I'm so amused by this but I'm just. Tickled pink over the fact that the past two guest voices have been actresses from Orange is the New Black. Especially since I absolutely love the character Natasha Lyonne (VA for Smoky Quartz) plays! Nicky is one of my fave characters.

... and now I desperately need a gem voiced by Kate Mulgrew (aka Red in OitNB)
    I also really, really want Bismuth and Smoky Quartz to meet and interact because, I dunno, it just amuses me when actors from one show do things together on another show. PLZ LET THIS HAPPEN

• Like x 5
  13. Petra

Petra space case

Well, tonight's episode was relatable. H-how about that self-loathing, huh?

• Like x 5
  14. raginghearts

It took me until Know Your Fusion to figure out it was her, and even then I had to look it up XD but ye!

15. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

I really feel like Amethyst and Steven have finally clicked together as siblings/comrades. Like, it took Steven a couple years to get up to speed as a functional gem, and it took that long for Amethyst to kind of figure out the relationships she WANTED to have, and not just what she was left with in the ruins of Rose's death? In season one she's really closed off emotionally, really defensively gross and provocative and frustrated. She's not the baby anymore, but she's still nowhere near ready to be a mom...

I'm actually really wondering now how much of Amethyst and Pearl's terrible disjunction wasn't due to their mutual grief over losing Rose's love, but Amethyst's jealousy and hurt over losing Pearl's. Because with Rose gone, all of Pearl's patience and compassion was reserved for Steven.

That would be a really interesting thing for Pearl to realize. Like, Pearl herself measures everything by Rose Quartz, and she thinks that Rose Quartz must be the center of everyone's universe. I think it's been established Pearl's got a hard time realizing that she herself is someone that others turn to for love and support, even though by now she's definitely Bird Mom to Steven, Amethyst, and Connie.

THOUGHTS.

• Like x 34
  16. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY.

I didn't start watching Steven Universe until after I saw a comic of Amethyst and Pearl sorta actually talking about that shit. About how Ame thinks Pearl hates her now, for things she used to tolerate---until Rose was gone. It fits in a brittle and so plausible way.

• Like x 7
  17. Choco

Choco Duke of the Weepy Marshmallow Brigade

this was SUCH a great ep to come home to after a long shift at work oh my god

garnet's constantly ramping up aaaaHHHHHHHHHHH was the funniest thing, and watching amethyst & sardonyx interact!!! we get to see fusion team ups now!!!! this is literally the most exciting thing omg!!!!!!!!

and yeah, what @Acey said, i'm so glad that a lot of this season seemed to be about checking back in w/ amethyst and giving her more character development. i'm so proud of how far she's come, and i love seeing the relationship she has with steven crystalize (heh) and grow. such good show.

also @raginghearts if kate mulgrew got to voice a fusion i might LITERALLY DIE (janeway is like my fav captain, and also flemeth so i mean, the woman can literally do no wrong)

• Like x 11
  18. blue

blue hightown funk you up

WHOA SHE'S FLEMETH??

• Like x 8
  19. mazarinedrake

Yep, Kate Mulgrew is the voice of Flemeth!

• Like x 4
  20. raginghearts

This was exactly my reaction when I found out, lol

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice