Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

That one, yeh. It's actually kinda weirding me out how peeps have been reacting to the whole dealie, cause if you just take everything Jas says at face value she pretty much spells out what she thinks about herself. :/ Apparently a common thread of thought was that she was too proud to admit that she needed help which is why she clawed at Stevo. Yunno, right before talking about how Rose would only help gems who were worthless to homeworld and how she sees how peeps end up accepting it cause feeling like a failure sucks. It wasn't some shocking revelation, is what I'm saying. And I don't get why people are fussing over it.

• Like x 9
  2. mazarinedrake

mazarinedrake Well-Known Member

I can see how someone might interpret Jasper's speech to Steven as a statement that while she appears weak, while he thinks she's weak, she is actually still strong and can beat the corruption without his help. They might have seen her refusal to accept help as a statement of hubris, refusing to accept her own weakness instead of a statement that she deserves this horrible thing that's happening to her.

Heck, right up until the corruption hit her eyes *I* was hoping she'd still fight it off or Steven would throw some spit at her or something, but that's mostly because I watched the episodes out of order and hadn't seen the one where Steven tries to heal Centipeetle yet. But I can totally see how a statement from the creator of the show that Jasper (beautiful, tall, powerful Jasper!) actually hates herself would hit a lot of people right in the feelings, whether or not they'd already come to that conclusion themselves.

• Like x 10
  3. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I like how this brings the sum total of quartzes who have self-esteem issues up to 100% of the ones we have seen.

New theory, quartzes are genetically programed for sadness.

• Like x 14
  4. mazarinedrake

mazarinedrake Well-Known Member

I think Quartzes are suffering under a social construct very similar to toxic masculinity in gem society. They get built up as these perfect, amazing, kick-ass soldiers that everyone loves and admires, and most of the time that's pretty great! But where does that leave you, the individual Quartz, when you're feeling tired or sad or don't think you can measure up? What if you can't measure up, because the expectations being placed on you are too damn high? Is there anybody there to protect you?

• Like x 24
  5. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

The episode's up on youtube!

ooh, and

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  6. KarrinBlue

Hi Connie!
    ...Steven what
    Awww Connie is not ok
    has she been sleeping ok?
    PEARL IS SO CHEERFUL
    SHE MADE A SIGN!
    Garnet is SO HAPPY for this
    But man Connie looks really stressed
    Oh my god that's such a cute dance
    COMBAT ME CHILDREN
    Oh they didn't waltz this time
    I've wanted this for SO LONG
    and this was collabed with Studio Trigger apparently
    Look at them go!
    !
    CONNIE
    Who was that kid?
    Awww Connie needs hugs
    !!!
    oh, shoot. that would be. a bad thing.
    'try not to think about it' STEVEN
    hold the phone. now give the phone to me I REMEMBER THAT LINE
    Garnet is a good mom
    SONG!
    Sapphire and Ruby you cuties
    Oh, is this about Keystone Motel?
    oh, ruby....
    and of course the Seer can get consumed by potential issues...
    CUTIES
    Oooh she's a good singer
    'failed to be charming?'
    this is SUCH a good song, and a great message
    Connie did a good!
    ...that is a VERY understanding kid
    BATTLEAXE!
    oh shit.
    Bismuth, Jasper, and Eyeball...
    and
    ROSE.
    NO!
    WAIT ONLY STEVEN CAN FLOAT
    Oh, Steven...
    and the floating is linked to emotions so Steven HAD to calm down to use it
    "I'm here."
    ;-;

• Like x 5
  7. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

"Garnet is very excited to see you fight as Stevonnie!" Because Garnet is a shipper.

...Garnet is also an adorable nerd.

"Hold the phone! ...now give the phone to me." I dunno, Garnet, last time you got the phone things didn't end well.

Bit of light meditation.

...and a song!

Garnet you are best everything

Oh nice, mental plane appearance by Sapphy and Ruby!

Ah, and now Steven's turn to have to confront his feelings.

"They've got this."

Oooh, judging Rose Quartz is judging. :(

Steven really needed this.

"I'm here."

• Like x 8
  8. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

Wow the song from this episode just. squeezes. it's so lovely.

;~;

• Like x 2
  9. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

If someone can rip the audio of the meditation song I would be forever obliged because I want to use that
    also I fucking knew Steven would have PTSD someone hug that small potato child forever and get him a therapist
    God that was SUCH an important episode. I'm crying.

• Like x 14
  10. Void

Honestly this episode is just. Hff. It's nearly got me in tears

• Like x 3
  11. Carnivorous Moogle

Carnivorous Moogle whose baby is this

STEVEN NO OH MY G--oh okay omfg

garnet you fuckin dork im

THE HOLO-PEARLS' STUPID LITTLE DANCE IM IN TEARS LAUGHING OH MY GOD

• Like x 4
  12. Carnivorous Moogle

in which i am connie and connie is me, fuck ow

• Like x 1
  13. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

OKAY FIRST REACTION - YESSS ANOTHER GARNET SONG WE GET SO FEW (Also that one was so chill I loved it so much)

And I'm glad we got an explicit explanation for Stevonnie's sometimes-hallucinations! Normal unbalanced fusion stuff - that makes me think, does Sugilite hallucinate? I mean, Malachite almost definitely did, but Sugilite hearing/seeing extra stuff would add to her crazy.

ALSO oh steven bby I know it hurts but sometimes bad stuff happens and you can only do your best, which is what you always do. (Wow also that was a really good message - I know I get bogged down sometimes by Trying Not To Think Of The Pink Elephant so it crushes me when I'm not looking - I needed that reminder that there is always someone there to help you through the bad even if you don't want to hurt them by sharing it.)

(Also lol Connie why do I think that Jeff kid has a crush on you now :P)

• Like x 13
  14. Void

This show would have been so fucking helpful to me as a kid. God.

• Like x 13
  15. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

not a particularly important thought, but a thought i had nonetheless...

I feel like Jeff probably got that Connie didn't mean it as soon as he saw her Freak The Fuck Out and run off. I mean, like ... kids aren't stupid. Well, kids are sometimes stupid, but you gotta give 'em credit. If it went down exactly like she was envisioning the memory, then he just looked shocked, not exactly scared - got the wind smacked out of him, probably gonna be sore, but kids take worse damage. She didn't then go and haul off on him, she ran away.

• Like x 9
  16. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I dunno, in the picture she showed steven at the end jeff had his arm in a cast x3 I think she might have accidentally broken his arm, but he seemed more in awe of getting his ass handed to him than anything else

• Like x 4
  17. KarrinBlue

Well, he did get hurt somewhat - his arm was in a sling. But yeah.

• Like x 2
  18. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

no matter how often i hear "it's okay to be hurt" it always hits me like a fucking truck. Aw, goddamn, i hate crying.

• Like x 10
  19. Carnivorous Moogle

wELP GUESS WHO'S CRYIN

• Like x 5
  20. KarrinBlue

incidentally, I liked how we all got played by the promos - I saw sapphire staring up with wide eyes at swirling butterflies and thought it was supposed to be staring in wonder and happiness and it was. Not.

Also I liked how Ruby got consumed by one issue, building it up and getting angrier at it, while Sapphire gets overwhelmed and paralyzed by so many potential issues.

• Like x 25
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice