Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Elph

Elph capuchin hacker fucker

Not actually a spoiler, because I could just as easily have written this prior to the episode, going on the title alone:

Mindful Education is difficult but important for me to watch. Mindfulness meditation tends to trigger nasty cultfeels for me, and I'm sick of not being able to use legitimate concepts and exercises just because I happened to be part of a cult that misused them, you know?
    So my self-assigned therapy homework is to watch this really hard to start firmly reestablishing mindfulness in my head as a good thing with positive applications and associations, not just cult memories.
    !!! I hadn't noticed that - thank you for pointing it out (even if it just means that I'm sitting here with my heart even more splodey than before)...

• Like x 9
  2. blue

blue hightown funk you up

this episode made me cry and was really good ;-;

• Like x 5
  3. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

i'm definitely worried about the toll being a magical gem warrior is taking on connie!

• Like x 18
  4. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

I'm not crying you're crying

• Like x 6
  5. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

I only cried a little

• Like x 3
  6. Technicality

(slight lie there)

• Like x 5
  7. Zuki

Zuki Well-Known Member

I showed a friend who doesn't watch SU the video and she called it, 'Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in song format.' and YES

yes

it's that too

it's so good.

Connie comforting Steven made me tear up and cry.

• Like x 14
  8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Know a little thing that made me happy?

Connie made another friend.

That's not to downplay the importance or greatness of her friendship with Steven, of course! But keep in mind that according to all we've heard, she didn't have any other friends, period. And that's gotta be pretty sucky! Especially at school, where she and Steven can't hang out. It's really nice that she's actually making friends in general.

Obviously absolutely wrecking people's shit isn't the best way to go about making friends as a rule, but hey.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    • Like x 24
  9. Technicality

@Acey
    I found the BEST way to make friends is to wreck their shit. That way it forces me to talk to them!
    this is a joke, by the way

• Like x 7
  10. Technicality

The new song is great in terms of its message but as a song I still think Stronger Than You is better.

• Like x 3
  11. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    • Like x 4
  12. Technicality

Ah, @KathyGaele maybe put that inside a spoiler?
    edit: thanks

• Like x 1
  13. AbsenteeLandlady123

sorry, didn't realize it would automatically embed
    done

14. Technicality

15. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

ive found out that the the beginning lyric of 'just a thought' works if you replace it w the phrase 'where the fuck is my tablet pen'

no i did not sing it while looking for my tablet pen i have no idea what youre talking about

• Like x 13
  16. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

Stronger Than You made me cry for a fortnight straight, so it'll always be my #1 favourite. The new song is definitely up there, though.

• Like x 4
  17. Technicality

• Like x 22
  18. AbsenteeLandlady123

I've listened to the new song enough that "but it's not" now blends into "buttersnar" and I can't unhear it

• Like x 11
  19. I'm not sure why but I think I'm not understanding Mindful Education. Everyone is talking about how it's so moving and the song can be so helpful for people with mental issues and I... Don't see it. I mean I kinda do but I don't recognize this episode as being some big important helpful thing. What am I doing wrong here?

• Like x 4
  20. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

you're not doing anything wrong, you're just not familiar with mindfulness, a practice of noticing your emotional state of being. accepting that your thoughts and emotions are there, are real, but that you don't have to necessarily do anything but notice them. it's widely used in therapy, which is the mental health connection.
    Garnet's song was basically a very catchy mindfulness meditation. i've gone through similar stuff, albeit without Estelle's gorgeous voice, with my own therapist.

• Like x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice