Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Going along with the whole "pink was the youngest and/or had a 'weird' attachment to earth" thing, maybe pink was more like rose? Curious about life and feelings and never wanted a pearl, so white gave her one to try and make her grow up and stop shirking her duties. This is obviously reaching and doesnt have much (if anything) behind it though... Still, the whole "rose shattered pink diamond" thing is still really danced around, and if rose was in her court maybe she learned to think the way she did from her diamond and shattering her was some sort of convoluted political move.

Itd make an interesting au, anyways.

• Like x 10
  2. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Definitely agreed that it'd make a really cool au. I'd definitely read a fanfic or do an rp with that premise.
    Sort of going off of that, i like the idea that Rose Quartz gems were maybe created to care for the human zoo.
    -theyre the most human looking gems we've seen
    -plant powers mean they could start/maintain the zoo's ecosystem
    -healing powers to help injured/sick humans
    -very gentle, with no attacking weapon naturally, since humans are comparitively very fragile

• Like x 12
  3. shmeed

shmeed plant me

theory that might have been discussed cuz i'm just hopping in for the first time:
    gems have an incredibly hard time conceptualizing lies and lying. this is why the Crystal Gems get away with as much as they do, even though they tend to be awful liars. the idea that someone would be working against the order of the diamonds is that absolutely foreign to them.
    homeworld gems also don't care what gems are feeling. most of the Crystal Gems, except sapphire, consistently shows stress in stressful situations. like, enough that someone really should notice something is up. but no one does. homeworld gems are that thoroughly indoctrinated with the belief that lesser gems will be subservient, and their thoughts are small and their reactions don't matter, they are their jobs.

i wonder if humans didn't teach them about lying and going against orders. humans are the apple of eden

jasper might be an edge case because of her personal history with earth.

feel free to present evidence to contrary! i can only think of a few examples rn and others might contradict

(i know we can contribute this to children's show but but where's the fun in that)

• Like x 15
  4. Charl

Charl Well-Known Member

If Rose was also Earth-grown, that makes her younger than a lot of the Crystal Gems she was leading, doesn't it? That lends an interesting shade to the dynamic. Steven might be history repeating, for Garnet and Pearl: the young idealist, leading the way.

• Like x 11
  5. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Oh hey, since i havent seen it mentioned here yet- looks like theres a couple new episode titles confirmed, airings starting next week. The first one especially looks like a lot of fun
    image.jpeg
    Also thats not a cropping error, theres just no description for the last one

• Like x 9
  6. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I think it was Peridot that mentioned quartzes being made to fight/lead?

Unsubstantiated: what if Pink was digging her heels in a bit re: her affection with humans? I think Blue or Yellow mentioned that rose quartzes were Pink's in a way that sounded like all of them were- the whole gem type. Maybe each Diamond has a special quartz type that leads all their lower quartzes? Like jaspers and amethysts and such are common, all Diamonds have those, but they each have a leader-type quartz. Pink is stubborn about humans and waffling on the "destroying native life to colonize a world" thing, one of the older Diamonds (Yellow?) goes "girl we're made for CONQUEST get your shit together," Pink makes rose quartzes, her leader-type quartz, purely defensive/healers.

Maybe the reason the Crystal Gems are so broken up about shattering Pink is because they really, really hoped they could bring her around. Maybe something happened that forced their hand- Pink's or Rose's- and one of them Had to Go. Rose decided it wasn't her. Makes it even more tragic- they could have been on the same side if ~something (pressure from the other Diamonds?)~ didn't happen that put them against each other and only one could walk away.

• Like x 11
  7. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

Yeah, in the newest aired episode she does specifically say that the Rose Quartz gems were Pink's and that Pink had made them. I think its basically confirmed that RQ gems are all earth gems.
    I like those ideas a lot! I was actually speculating earlier with a friend if Diamonds had a special gem each just like, in general- one type created on their birth planet that doesnt grow anywhere else. If yes, then maybe sapphires are Blue's? They're considered rare, and high up in the gem hierarchy.
    But also, while Quartz gems in general seem to be common among all Diamonds, i think maybe that gems of similar colors belong under the correspnding Diamond in general? So that can be a lot of overlap probably, with orange gems like jaspers being under yellow or pink typically, but gems that dont match their diamond at all seems like it might be rarer. Thinking this bc Holly calls the beta kindergarten kids "off colored".

• Like x 6
  8. Lazarae

I thought that was because they didn't fit the Acceptable Color/Pattern for their type. Amethysts that aren't the Right Purple and such.

• Like x 4
  9. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Yeah I'm wondering if Rose Quartzes were Pink like. Putting together ALL the Earth things. Plant powers, human-ish color scheme (or closer than the others we've seen, who knows if there's Roses that are more hot-pink or anything)...

• Like x 7
  10. KarrinBlue

Well, she did say 'off-color betas', referring to the Beta-origin Carnelian and Jaspers, who definitely don't fit Blue's color scheme.

• Like x 5
  11. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

^^^ yeah, that. Betas specifically, not the earth gems in general(also i have my suspicions that Holly might be an earth gem too and just really tries to distance herself from that identity)

• Like x 6
  12. Lazarae

Yeah, I meant as part of being malformed. Like, "look at this Beta Jasper. She's weird and skinny and not even the right color"

• Like x 2
  13. KarrinBlue

well, she's the right color for a Jasper...

14. Lazarae

I couldn't remember if she was discolored, actually. I know the amethysts are a variety, and we don't know what color carnelians are supposed to be I just didn't want to use amethysts as an example again because I did before and I'm already repeating myself because tired brain whoops

15. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

I would say the jaspers are the right color for being a jasper- our Jasper is considered totally perfect, so i think the other jaspers could be compared to her color-wise. For the amethysts... I'm not sure. Color never entered into Peridot's kindergarten lectures. But for like, actual rl rocks, i think a darker purple amethyst is prefered, since over time they can fade due to sun exposure(same with rose quartz gems).

• Like x 4
  16. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

Carnelian and jasper are both generally red/orange spectrum (although there are a loooot of subvarieties of jasper that are different colors, which we saw with the corrupted gems).

• Like x 4
  17. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Not sure which is preferred, but there are definitely different shades of amethyst IRL! The amethyst pendant I wear is very dark with a few lighter veins, but I've seen some amethysts that were very light, and all shades in between. So it definitely makes sense for Amethysts to be Various Purbles rather than Uniform Purble.

And yeah, guessing the "off-color" thing is more due to Jaspers and Carnelians not normally serving under Blue Diamond--there does seem to be a lot of color correlation (Sapphire and seemingly Lapis being part of Blue Diamond's court, Peridot serving under Yellow Diamond, etc.). Though that raises the question of why a Jasper would serve under Pink Diamond, when one would expect Yellow from her coloration--maybe it's just a made-on-Earth thing?

• Like x 4
  18. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I've seen a description for the last one!

19. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I think Alska was referring to Tiger Philanthropist.

20. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

...Upon reread I think you're right.

[sticks up the It's 3am And I'm Not Braining Yet sign and burrows back down with my food. carry on citizens, carry on.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice