Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

okay but now that begs the question:
    since Padparadscha and Sapphire are drastically different colors, in spite of both being Sapphires....would they have a singular-color iris, or a dual-color iris, and if singular-color, will it be a combo of their colors or such, or just one of their colors
    because the Rubies have always had the same color eyes, and so their fusion does too
    but Sapphire and Padparadscha are different colors and since Sapphire has blue irises, we can probably safely assume that Padparadscha has an iris color that matches her color scheme
    so....

• Like x 2
  2. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I need to draw their fusion someday, that would be fun as hell. :D And a multi-colored iris would be cool imo!!

• Agree x 3
  3. soulsuckingisaacnewton

soulsuckingisaacnewton strange fuzzy creature

A color gradient kind of thing could look really cool.

• Agree x 3
  4. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

ok but consider: the color changes depending on whether she's looking into the future or the (very recent) past

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 3
  5. Bunny

Bunny aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I feel that maybe they are different enough sapphires that they count as different classes of gem in the same way all the quartzes are.

Unsure what that would look like as a fusion though and I feel smokey is a bad example for quartz on quartz fusion for possible comparison on same gem family fusions.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  6. chaoticArbiter

hmm.

I’d still think they’d make a Sapphire—just a particular color or type. I mean, two Quartz types fused seem to make a different ‘type’ of Quartz but still a quartz, and that makes sense to me. if two of the exact same type of Gem fuse into the same Gem, then two Gems of the same general class (like Quartz) should fuse into the same class, just a different ‘type’.

I’d think there are some Gems which don’t have overarching class types—like, Lapises are Lapises and only Lapises, Peridots are Peridots and only Peridots, because they only come in one ‘type’ really, so they can only do purely same-gem or completely different-gem fusion—but all the Diamonds are Diamonds in spite of being different types, all Quartzes are technically Quartzes in spite of being different types of Quartzes, so all Sapphires should be Sapphires and make Sapphires.

they wouldn’t make a regular blue Sapphire that would be called just ‘Sapphire’, but since they ARE both Sapphires, they should still make a Sapphire, but something like how Padparadscha Sapphire is—a (x) Sapphire rather than just a Sapphire.

• Agree x 2
  7. chaoticArbiter

also, it seems like some people think they’d make a Purple Sapphire, but I kind of want them to make a Star Sapphire—although I’ve no idea how they could since every star sapphire I’ve ever seen was a cabachon and Sapphire and Padparadscha have faceted gems.

8. Acey

That's pretty much what I was thinking! I wonder what kind of Sapphire she'd be...

fake edit: Also, IIRC star sapphires can come in any color? I might be completely wrong, though.

(dril voice) some one who knows of geology tell me if this is good

• Like x 1
  9. chaoticArbiter

the problem is more the star sapphires, I think, have to be cabachons, not faceted gems, and both Padparadscha and Sapphire have faceted gems....which might actually mean star sapphires aren’t POSSIBLE for Gem society. I think if the sapphire’s faceted, it won’t show the star.
    but I so badly want them to be Star Sapphire.

• Witnessed x 1
  10. Acey

Ah, shit, good point. :(

11. Inkblot

Inkblot I'M GOING TO THE LOST CAUSE PIT, MA

What if they made a color-change sapphire, and the entire fusion shifted colors depending on future/past vision

• Winner x 2
  12. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

The whole Sapphire thing gets kinda confusing if you go full geology on it, because rubies are just, like, red sapphires. To be more precise, if corundum is red, it's a ruby. If it's blue, it's a sapphire. If it's any other colour, it's a fancy sapphire. Padparadscha just happens to be a fancy sapphire with a different name. Anyway I don't understand geology enough to explain star sapphires except that they contain 'impurities' in the form of other gemstone needles embedded in the crystal structure. Many other gemstones can have the star- or cat's eye- effect, but the star sapphires and star rubies are specifically caused by... Rutile!

Anyway I think this is all correct, but to be frank I just googled it and wanted to share my findings.

• Informative x 6
    • Agree x 1
  13. chaoticArbiter

.....okay so basically what you are telling me is that if I made a Rutile and a Sapphire who accidentally grew into each other and became a singular Gem, I could make a Star Sapphire gemsona, and it would be TECHNICALLY acceptable
    right? yes? that's what this means?

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  14. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Frankly I have no idea but I'm certainly not about to stop you.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  15. Acey

Y'know, in general, that could potentially be very fascinating--possibly something like the Rutile twins, but it was gems of a different type that got fused together (in the regular sense of the word) during creation? Or possibly closer to a fusion that literally cannot be split apart (without shattering the gem(s), of course).

...Actually, shit, the latter could be very interesting indeed, just generally. A (completely sapient) permafusion that doesn't necessarily want to be fused.

(edited to clarify because i wanted to differentiate between that and the fusion monsters)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    • Agree x 4
  16. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

buuut Gems can come in carbochon form? Lapis is a smooth girl, and I'm p sure that Peridot is too? Maybe Star Sapphires are a different but related type of gem to 'standard' sapphires, the same way quartzes and agates are, even though IRL agates are quartzes?

I remember an RP I did with my buerocractic Sapphire where it was speculated that Star Sapphires were kind of Fleet seers, expected to be on a ship all their life and foresee any dangers such as black holes or dying stars before they were in range of technological sensors :3

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  17. Acey

Because I'm a nitpicky nitpicker: Peridot's gem teeeeeeeeeechnically has some faceting, but it's only visible at all when she's poofed (so YMMV on if it actually counts as faceted). Here's a screenshot from Catch And Release showing it:
    [​IMG]
    That's suuuuper nitpicky though, and you could probably still argue that it's a cabochon, I think? I'm no expert on gem cuts. (And Lapis still definitely counts.)

Okay, with all my "WELL ACTUALLY" bullshit out of the way: there's absolutely no reason there couldn't be cabochon gems (and actually I think Fluorite might have at least one?)! I really like the idea of Star Sapphires being a related-but-different class, too, :D

EDIT: I checked, and the gem in the center of Fluorite's chest (at the very least--some of her others are ambiguous and could go either way) is a cabochon, so...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Agree x 5
  18. Interpreting “which peridot” as “witch peridot” may lead to my dumbest AU yet.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  19. Imagine someone calling Pearl “thirsty” over her obvious crush on Mystery Girl, and Pearl- who doesn’t even like eating or drinking- is just baffled trying to understand what that means.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 3
  20. Acey

NEW EPISODES APRIL 9TH!!!!!!!!!!

• Winner x 10
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice