Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

Wait -
    Escapism? Like, Escapism Escapism? This Escapism?

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. Question about fusions.

So, we know canonically that a fusion of two of the same Gem makes one, bigger version of that Gem (Ruby Squad). We know that a fusion of two different Gems makes a third, new Gem (Garnet).

What would happen if two of the same fusion fused with each other, or two of one Gem fused with one other? (CG Ruby and Pearl plus Off Color Rhodonite, or Garnet plus a member of Ruby Squad)

• Agree x 4
  3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

New promo!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAH BLUE PEARL AND YELLOW PEARL ARE BACK...:D :D :D lov the pearls so much

Also those crayon-looking drawings Steven was looking through...I mean, obviously Pink drew those, and that makes me extremely emotional! Just!! Poor Pink omg

AND STEVEN I AM SORRY BUT PINK'S OUTFIT STILL DOES NOT SUIT YOU

• Winner x 4
  4. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

Whooo, new promo. Though I have a feeling there are clips in there from episodes that I missed watching.

5. Athol Magarac

I do have a theory that it might have to do with gem compatibility. Ruby and Sapphire are the same basic crystal, so they have a basic humanoid bodyshape. Pearl fusions tend to have extra arms, so I'm not sure why that didn't happen with Rose. Amethyst is a type of quartz, so maybe that's why Smokey Quartz is assymetrical. Steven identifies as Rose Quartz, but since he's really a diamond those two ideas create something weird. (A proper Rose Quartz and a different Amethyst would probably look similar to Garnet.)

• Like x 1
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I thought body shape was based on personal compatibility or lack thereof? That was why Malachite was so exaggeratedly monstrous despite only being two gems. If your minds are in harmony, you only need two arms and two legs, because you both want to do the same things with them.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
  7. ... is that a response to my question or to something else?

8. Athol Magarac

That does make more sense, and why the Ruby squad just makes a giant Ruby. CG Pearl and Ruby might not look like Rhodonite even though they're the same sort of gem. That's probably also why the Rose/Pearl fusion just have extra eyes. Pearl does Rose's will, but looks at the world differently.

I was posing a theory that might answer the question, but it got debunked.

• Like x 1
  9. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

If you were talking to me here, my post was a response to Athol Margarac but also kind of to your post by extension!

I wonder if the "multiple same gem fusion=bigger version of that gem type" thing is actually a universal rule or not. Gems of the same type do tend to have similar personalities so it's probably the norm, but I bet if CG Amethyst fused with, say, pre-corruption Jasper, the result wouldn't just be a bigger Quartz.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. Acey

Jaspers and Amethysts are technically different gems (Peridot even calls them “two completely different Quartzes” in Beta), albeit pretty similar ones, so I think their fusion would have to be something different.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  11. KarrinBlue

I think the Rubies are probably also encouraged to all stick to a particular personality/see themselves as all interchangeable, so when they fuse it just seems like they just got bigger.

• Agree x 3
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Oh right, that's true. ...say Pink Diamond and one of the other Diamonds, then? They seem to have the most diverse personalities among a single gem type that we've seen.

• Agree x 3
  13. Reactions to the new trailer because I've seen it now.
    "to create more perfect Gems, the Diamonds expanded their rule to colonies like earth." I feel like this statement deserves attention. Does it mean "to create additional perfect Gems", or "to create Gems that are more-perfect"? Either way, what does that say about Homeworld? Did they think they had perfect Gems, or not? If so, who were they? The Diamonds? Not even all of the Diamonds, as far as we know, because from what we've seen of Pink, she was a runt not treated as an equal by the others. What Gems do they consider perfect?

Yellow Pearl asking "what is fun?" is begging to be made into a meme. Or at least a Spongebob joke. I don't know how seriously to take the implication that she doesn't know what "fun" is. If she's serious, then what the hell does everyone do when they're not out conquering planets? Even, or perhaps especially the Diamonds can't be working all the time. Hell, later in the trailer we can see Yellow Diamond in a sauna/bathing room with Steven, and it has fountains. Looks pretty recreational to me.

Blue Diamond asking "does that call herself a Garnet?" is... unfortunate, and also just ambiguous enough that it's annoying. My sister has introduced me to the idea that it means non-fusion Garnets might exist, which completely ruins my latest Gemsona, Carbuncle. Or maybe she's just being a bitch and treating Garnet as an inferior lifeform, as in "aww, she thinks she's people! and she gave herself a name!"

And Steven? Stop wearing your mom's clothes.

• Like x 1
  14. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

so first off on the fun question and the sauna type thing, I like the idea that that's (at the very least called) a 'thinking chamber'. it's not meant for FUN per se, but it is meant for....relaxing and trying to destress so YD can like, rule better with a clear mind and after having thought things out a bit. that said, 'relaxation' doesn't necessarily mean 'fun' for some people--I mean, personally speaking, I have been told massages are very relaxing and the one time I tried it it was! but it also wasn't FUN for me. it was....calming? but not what I would count for as 'fun'. so it could be that while they have an idea of like, destressing, it's not really a 'fun' prospect but more like...you do this so you can collect your thoughts, clear your head, and be a better ruler. it's just to calm yourself and your mind. not to enjoy yourself.
    and I also feel like the implication of 'it's just to calm your mind so you think more clearly and lead better' would ALSO imply that it's....not meant for Pearls, which is really how I took that comment. even if YP understands the concept of relaxing in the sauna...I doubt she's done any of it herself. because she's a Pearl. she can't relax. she's always on call for her Diamond. and if you don't even get time to destress, not really, then I doubt she's allowed time for FUN either. I'm not sure how far this would extend down the ranks--like, if this is a Pearl-specific thing, where only the Pearls would be the ones who would know like, sometimes other Gems are allowed to relax but they don't really know what that feels like, or if this is a general lower-caste thing, where like, your Pearls and Rubies wouldn't know what that's like because they don't NEED a calm collected mind to decide what to do since they don't make decisions, or if it's just a specific-to-Pearls thing where they don't....get to do stuff like that but everyone else does at least to an extent, but I definitely took that as at least an indicator that Pearls, being objects and designed to serve, aren't really supposed to or possibly aren't ALLOWED to relax and take time like you see Yellow Diamond doing.
    ....or at the very least, the Diamonds' Pearls aren't. I mean....the Diamonds are running an empire that's trying to expand. who's on call to handle Yellow's executive stuff while she's in the sauna? if I had to guess, it's her Pearl, who probably has a protocol to follow for all things and would only interrupt YD for like, an important call from another Diamond, or a situation for which she has no protocol. and when YD ISN'T relaxing, well....Pearl has to be right there with her. if I had to guess, they just aren't given time to chill or relax or have fun if such a thing does exist on Homeworld, so at the very least, YP asking "what is fun" is probably....a thing she genuinely is asking. YP doesn't understand fun or relaxation because she doesn't get time for that and has never experienced it herself, because as a Diamond's Pearl, she's....always got stuff to do. if YD is relaxing or doing something important that requires her to be away and unreachable, someone has to be manning the call lines just in case someone phones in needing to leave a report or something, or heck, in case YD calls in again--I mean, I doubt YP was just relaxing the whole time YD was on Earth. she probably was still trying to keep things running based on what YD told her to do, or existing protocols, because eventually YD will be back but in the meantime, YD runs a whole court and all and I doubt they just stop and she's BUSY, she can't be bothered with handling that right now, she's got something important to do on Earth. and if YD isn't relaxing, Yellow Pearl needs to be Right There to meet her every demand. that question felt pretty real to me and not a joke, but not necessarily indicative of all of Homeworld--just of at least the Diamonds' Pearls and possibly all Pearls and MAYBE all lower-caste's experiences in life.
    like, you're right, the Diamonds can't work all the time. but who takes messages and delivers pre-decided orders and crap when they're not working? Homeworld seems pretty big--even with the Diamonds controlling specific gems and sectors and stuff, I can't imagine things don't need to happen during the Diamonds' relaxation time. as a Diamond's Pearl, I'd bet it's YP's job to pass down info or pre-decided orders or what have you when YD's in the sauna and a Nephrite calls having finished her most recent assignment or something. and even then--relaxation, clearing your mind so you aren't stressed or exhausted, that's...not the same as FUN necessarily. we don't know that the sauna is intended to be FUN as opposed to RELAXING. and I'm not saying it couldn't be both, or just meant to be fun--but it could also be that Homeworld legit lacks the concept of fun and only really has the concept of 'relaxing to rest and clear your mind so you aren't dead on your feet and super stressed and making mistakes or something', which would likely be considered especially important for a Diamond but probably less important for a Ruby, who's just supposed to do what she's told when she's told, or a Pearl, who kind of seem to be the epitome of 'objects that take orders'.
    wow that was a lot. sorry. I like just woke up I'm having trouble putting thoughts together coherently and quickly

second, non-fusion Garnets and such were confirmed existent in 2017 on an episode of the Steven Universe podcast, specifically episode 10, by Rebecca Sugar, I'm guessing, since I haven't actually listened to the podcast and don't know exactly who said it but Rebecca and Steven Sugar are the ones on it. so. they are a thing. I have no idea how common they are or what they're like, and I'm hoping we'll get a reveal of a non-fusion Garnet at some point soon now? but they do exist.
    I saw a theory that that might be part of why different-gem fusions aren't allowed--Garnet the fusion is likely rather different in power and ability from a non-fused Garnet, so even though she IS a Garnet, if she was really considered a Garnet, she'd fuck up the whole status quo of what Garnets are and where they belong in society, on top of, y'know, all other known problems that different-gem fusion creates for Homeworld.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
  15. Acey

I like the idea of the sauna thing being a "think chamber"--someone on Tumblr pointed out that it would explain why Peridot thought Steven's bathroom was "some kind of archaic think chamber," which I like and think makes perfect sense. So I do think that's most likely what it is.

Also, talk of the Diamonds' Pearls and their duties makes me wonder...what are things like for other Pearls? We know that the Pearl half of Rhodonite wasn't owned by a Diamond, but we've never seen her on her own. The only Pearls we've seen so far (on their own, at least) are the Diamonds', but things have gotta be somewhat different for Pearls owned by less-important Gems. Which I'm really curious about now.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Like x 6
  16. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

Youtube reminded me this was a thing, so I'm sharing it with y'all. Possibly not for the first time.

17. KarrinBlue

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  18. Katamari Damacy Gems plus other new friends! And White Pearl changing her expression! This is gonna be fun.

• Agree x 2
  19. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

Rebecca Sugar was at Argentina Comic Con! I did not get to be there but here's the video, starting at the point where the thing actually starts

Pink Pearl Theory confirmed????

• Winner x 4
    • Informative x 1
  20. Athol Magarac

Those of you with cable: Is Diamond Days still set to air today? Should I start looking for episodes tomorrow?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice