Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I never even really watched Adventure Time, but I really like this song:

I remember seeing Rebecca Sugar saying that it was about the first time she really understood the concept of time as a child. She left a stuffed toy in the garden and then found it later. It was faded where the sun had bleached it over time. It's a really simple but fascinating song, and I've listened to it a number of times.

So pretty much when Spinel mentioned a garden, I was horrified. I never expected to see "Everything Stays" from the perspective of the toy, but it's exactly as traumatizing as I could have hoped.

It gives a really sharp hidden edge to Steven's epiphany about the importance of change. Spinel changed too. Of course she did. She couldn't not change over 6,000 years. But all her changes might be considered wear and tear. Damage.

• Agree x 9
  2. Verily

The toy in the garden was upside down. I just vividly recalled Spinel joking about how she could have done the entire 6,000 years upside down. That's... somehow deeply upsetting.

Oh no, Spinel.

• Agree x 8
  3. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

I loved it! Every part of it!

The songs were a bit simple but catchy, Spinel was menacing and heartbreaking, the Crystal Gems rediscovering themselves (Ruby and Sapphire being adorable and in love no matter what) were amazing. Bismuth got to sing about the Crystal Gems as an idea/a legacy!

Steg was... a bit odd, but I like him. I like to call him "Nontoxic Masculinity".

Peridot as always stole the show with "I could've lost all my character development!" and the paused episode of Camp Pining Hearts on the desktop of her Analyzing Computer.

The discussion of how long it takes to stop trying to kill Steven.

The Pearlmethyst is strong!

In conclusion: S T E V E N' S N E C K

• Agree x 11
    • Winner x 1
  4. Verily

I was having a discussion about how the plot treats the diamonds, and more importantly, whether they’ve really significantly changed from their genocidal colonialist empire mindset. I’d personally say evidence points to no, not yet. I think the “equal life forms” bit with White is extremely telling.

And you know what it reminds me of specifically? Yer dad.

In case you don’t wanna watch an entire video examining the philosophical underpinnings of transphobia (and explaining why they’re faulty), “yer dad” is someone who holds regressive opinions but has adopted just enough progressiveness to get by because they don’t want to cause conflict or to be seen as a bad person. As Olly explains it, fifteen years ago “yer dad” might say something about how they’re totally okay with gay people as long as they keep it to themselves. That’s still based entirely on a view of gay relationships as lesser since yer dad would probably never think to say the same thing about apparently heterosexual relationships.

I do think that mindset can absolutely be the start of real change, maybe even a necessary phase for a lot of people. You probably can’t really have many great conversations with people you constantly offend with your bigoted language that would help you understand on a real level how much they are actually equal people and what their lives and concerns are like. If you change that language, maybe that changes too, because you demonstrably care enough to change your behavior to avoid offending people, even if it’s not necessarily for all the right reasons. I also think it doesn’t constitute real change in and of itself. I deeply hope we get more SU and maybe see this explored, because it’s a long process. Probably especially if your lifespan is that of a gem and you’ve been thinking in a certain way for nearly all of it so far.

But the real important thing I came here to share with you is the phrase “yer dadmonds”.

That is all. Yer dadmonds.

• Like x 7
    • Agree x 5
    • Informative x 2
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I'm a bit behind on some things but this made me cry:

Rebecca sugar confirming her adventure time song about a lost toy did indeed form a lot of spinel's background.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  6. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Lol an edit

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 7
    • Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  7. Verily

A fantastic, emotional cover of a movie song that made me happy to cry all over again.

Chase Holfelder sings Drift Away

• Winner x 3
  8. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Opening for SU s6??? Excuzey me us this real

• Winner x 3
    • Informative x 2
  9. Steven can DRIVE!?

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  10. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

So that's white diamond, jasper,some lapises and an evil mutant cactus steven as antagonists.

• Agree x 3
  11. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

is that White?

because we clearly see White hanging out with Steven et al:
    [​IMG]

and that gem with the antagonists is def shaped like White, but also looks... weirdly pink?
    [​IMG]

also, at that angle it's hard to tell sizes, but she def looks smaller than any of the diamonds do. one of my friends is theorizing some corrupted early version of Pink. wild stuff either way!

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

She has the same design as white though, just in pink, and SU has never been that consistent with character heights.
    I have an absolutely terrible track record with SU theorising but if I'd have to guess I say it's White influenced by Pink as in Change Your Mind but more so

13. hyrax

true, but White is the size of a skyscraper... that gem looks more the size of Pink, maybe 10 feet tall. that would be a pretty huge inconsistency, even for SU.

14. hyrax

anyway Nanafua with a squad of ruby guards is the best thing i've ever seen
    Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 1.26.09 PM.jpg

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 3
  15. soulsuckingisaacnewton

soulsuckingisaacnewton strange fuzzy creature

Given the way she's clutching her head I'm guessing it's White under some kind of mind control/possession/unwanted magical influence. Maybe the power she used to use to brainwash other gems is going to backfire on her in some way? It is very interesting that she's pink-tinted but I'm not sure exactly what to make of it.

Also, is that Aquamarine (upper right in the same shot) wearing a tie?

• Agree x 5
  16. soulsuckingisaacnewton

soulsuckingisaacnewton strange fuzzy creature

Lars and his parents!

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 1
  17. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

taking a really close look a the aqua, i realized not only is she multi colored but she also has at LEAST four legs. so, some sort of fusion incident? aqua doing something Rude??

• Agree x 1
  18. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

Most importantly

Peridot!

• Agree x 5
  19. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Can't watch because crap internet; is our new noodle friend anywhere? I know she went off with the diamonds but if they're around...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice