Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

WELP THAT FUCKED ME UP

• Agree x 10
  2. SCREAM

• Agree x 4
  3. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Has anyone got (preferably tumblr) links for the most recent episodes after Growing Pains?

4. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

okay so I am not looking at anything post-movie but I just finished the movie and *prolonged screaming* holy shit that hurt in so many ways I didn't expect it to.
    Spinel finally breaking down and screaming "WHY DO I WANT TO HURT YOU SO MUCH" fucking. broke me.

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 3
  5. Alexand

Alexand Rhymes with &

I know I'm a week late on this and we're all just anxiously waiting for the finale right now, but I wanted to say something about Mr. Universe.

For a while now I've been wondering why Steven never went to school. I thought that Rose would appreciate school - a place where humans are grouped together with other people of the same age as them, and allowed to make friends. From my perspective, one of the big tragedies of Rose's childhood is that she never had the chance to interact with anyone of her same status; everyone she knew either had absolute authority over her (the other Diamonds), or she had absolute authority over them (all of her subjects). Even if she wanted to argue with someone, the outcome would be predetermined from the start. I got the impression that even Pink Pearl and Spinel acted more like a nanny and a hired entertainer, respectively, than like an actual friend towards her. Eventually she did get a new Pearl who was a little more willing to express her own desires, and to treat her like a person who could be reasoned with, but even that Pearl never really came to see Rose as an equal.

So from that perspective, I thought that Rose would see school as a magical place, where humans were free to fight and make up, and make compromises on things, and generally form real friendships. But this new episode made me realize that it's not that Rose didn't want Steven to go to school - it's that Greg didn't. Greg must have seen school as a symbol of the oppression he experienced in his youth, and he thought Steven would be happier if he didn't have to go. And if Rose learned everything she knew about school from Greg - which is possible enough, as I doubt she was really paying attention to modern schooling before Greg, what with the "living in the middle of nowhere to avoid getting humans involved in Gem business" and all - then Rose wouldn't have wanted Steven to go either.

But it's sad that Greg thought Steven would be happier living with the Crystal Gems. Greg thought that his son would be better off as a Gem, and Rose thought that he'd be better off as a human.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  6. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

It was fun to see Spinel move on from 30s Max Fleisher to 40s and 50s Looney Tunes with the decrease in budget.

Everything Is Fine was a little repetitive, but a nice build up to the Monster. The video on Connie's phone glitching from "Steven's here to help!" to "-help- --Steven-" was quite effective.

The Monster was a finale worthy of a Magical Girl show. He's been there for everyone so many times! Now everyone is there for him.

And we bring it back full circle with Cookie Cat. The send-off was wonderful and Peridot is a stand-out as always. Be the Steven you want in the world.

• Agree x 7
  7. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Someone have a link? My source only has Homeworld Bound

8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

• Agree x 6
  9. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Here we are in the future and it's bright~~~

• Agree x 3
  10. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Spoilers for the latest season.
    So we know Rose had extremely destructive outbursts, but she stopped. I can't help but wonder if her meltdowns looked anything like some of Steven's. Like, imagine going through the identity and autonomy turmoil of your teen years, but with the power of a diamond and the misfortune of the best emotional support network Homeworld can provide.

• Agree x 4
  11. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I mean that's certainly what I thought they were implying? "She ha a scream that could crack the walls" and all

• Agree x 2
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

This takes clips from all Steven universe show content, so I stopped a bit before the movie and after scenes started, and hoo boy this stuff is upsettingly relatable
    :smithsad:

Tfw you were made to be responsible for adult problems at way too young an age

• Witnessed x 6
    • Like x 1
  13. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Saw this SU future AMV

• Winner x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice