Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

The poisonousness of it has been pretty overblown. You'd have to make an effort to poison yourself with malachite-the-rock - licking your fingers after grinding the stone, or intentionally sticking it in acidic water, letting it sit for sometime, and then drinking it.

And of course you shouldn't inhale the dust, but in general you shouldn't inhale most ground-up-stuff dust. Particulate matter is bad for lungs, period.

I'm getting the feeling people are confusing malachite-the-rock with malachite green dye.

• Like x 3
  2. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I do that and the worst part of it is that if I'm not paying attention to myself I will sing along with whatever bit of it's stuck in my head.

Memorably, there's a prayer/song/chant where the whole community confesses to ALL THE SINS! during the Yom Kippur services and the only saving grace of catching myself singing that I was guilty off all the horrible things! while walking down the hall at work! was that it's in Hebrew.

• Like x 5
  3. cleverThylacine

HAHAH there's a reason @the author speaks likes Ronaldo!

• Like x 2
  4. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

• Like x 8
  5. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i love peridot so much.
    also that last line dfghjk

• Like x 6
  6. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

7. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

I thought this was funny, but then I saw this post and now that both of these comics exist together, they have elated ech other to new heights of hilarity

• Like x 17
  8. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i canot stop laughing
    (also i think yellow Pearl is one of my fav characters, like legitemately her stupid smug face is so funny)

• Like x 7
  9. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

help I am a wailing infant and I can't wait several hours for the next episode

• Like x 2
  10. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

I just saw the answer and
    blue pearl is fave. Also pearl and rose and just GARNET WITH THE FLOOF

• Like x 3
  11. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Just caught up!

hearing garnet say that some people just don't deserve patience, holy fuck, that made me physically recoil. urgh. "deserve" hits me so hard for some reason. like, sure, some people aren't gonna respond well to your efforts, stuff takes time and energy and you're well within your rights to just. not wanna put up with hurt for as long as it'd take to "fix" a person or whatever you're trying to do. I just. God. Deserve. It might be stuff I've seen in the fandom before. Jasper doesn't deserve a redemption arc, because the process of becoming not a monster is a reward somehow. Like it's not work to grow and change and shift your entire world view like that.

I hate it, really. I fucking hate the thought of not wanting someone to be a better person just cause they are bad and do bad things or cause they annoy you or whatever. Urgh. Like the only way to make evil not happen is to kill it. Hate. Evil's a choice, and the idea that it's a corruption or an intrinsic part of some people. A worrisome shortcut. Too convenient. Bad. "I'm evil so I have to keep doing the bad thing, I'm not evil so nothing I do is actually bad, I love him so he can't be in the wrong, I hate her so she can't be doing good." Not good. Deserve shouldn't have anything to do with redemption.

But, yunno. Steven doesn't have to break himself for someone else's sake. I dunno, I'm stpid.

• Like x 10
  12. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Yeah, the Crystal Gems made me super uncomfortable in this episode.
    if I was in Peridot's place, i'd have flat out ran away the second I finished collapsing.

• Like x 1
  13. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

I'd really like Yellow Pearl and Blue Pearl to be moirails, though now that I think about it, any quadrant would be nice, but pale seems like the easiest way to imagine them escaping after the diamonds are defeated, and fucking off to do their own thing together

I don't have a reason why, I just want to ship it

• Like x 7
  14. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA OMG
    "AM I GONNA HAVE TO WEAR A STAR WHERE AM I GONNA PUT IT"

• Like x 8
  15. cleverThylacine

I have such mixed feelings about this.

On one hand all humans are humans and generally speaking should not be killed, no matter your faith there is no objective proof of life after death so taking the rest of what little time someone has is extremely serious business, and most destructive people are in lots of pain and need help. I am not convinced that all of them are. I'd like to believe that but there are the outliers who have no real abuse history and don't seem to have painful mental illnesses and just like breaking things.

So on the other hand there are people that you cannot fix and sometimes you have to stop them. Maybe someone could fix them but if that person exists that person has not turned up yet and you still have a time-sensitive problem, like maybe a cluster at the core of your planet that's going to kill everyone. And sometimes the only way you have a chance to stop them is to kill them, because the world is not perfect and there is not any guaranteed 100% works way to to stop evil people who really like hurting other feeling beings from doing that shit and if it's my life or the life of someone I care about vs theirs, so be it, bang bang.

I want to believe that Garnet is like me, which would be to think that it would be nice and ideal if everyone could be helped and that everyone should be helped if they can be helped, but also to be aware that if someone wants to kill you or blow up your planet they don't at that moment necessarily deserve patience from you because you're not obligated to sacrifice yourself or your planet or your family to try to fix someone who's not at that moment into getting themselves fixed.

• Like x 6
  16. cleverThylacine

Who's who, fess up! (I would have guessed Red Topaz as a Klingon though.)

The watermelon tourmaline second from the left on the bottom row's me, @Tourmaline :)

• Like x 3
  17. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

• Like x 2
  18. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

The gray pearl who's first in the middle row is me XD she's @Smoke Pearl

19. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Tektite and Baroque Pearl are both me! :)

Also:

Honestly, I'm inclined to agree with Garnet here. She was wrong in this specific case, obviously, but...there are people who aren't worth your patience, I think. At the very least, there are people who aren't worth sacrificing yourself or your values for.

Like many of the characters in this show, Steven's greatest strength is also his greatest weakness: He's open to trusting everyone, which is good...but the fact is that some of his trust is misplaced. Yes, he was (mostly) right about Peridot and (to an extent) Lapis, but I'm not convinced that his trust in others won't bite him in the ass eventually.

Granted, I'm not sure "patience" was the right term, but the way I see it, Steven is too trusting--and some people should not be trusted.

• Like x 7
  20. cleverThylacine

There's a saying, fool me once....

Some people definitely should never be trusted. You can even forgive people without trusting them--you let go of the attachment, accept that it'll never be right, and either avoid the person or set your boundaries--you don't have to trust them.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice