Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

I didn't know which option was better but ftfy

• Like x 7
  2. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

Garnet being all supportive and reassuring but not in the least pushy and DAMN

• Like x 9
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

hey i can't remember, has the garnet visor theory been discussed here yet, or did i just see that on tumblr somewhere?

4. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i think i saw it on tumblr, can't remember if it had been discussed here too?

5. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

• Like x 1
  6. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

i have not read the Garnet visor theory, someone link me?

7. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@liminal I can see where they're coming from, for sure. Could be that Garnet let her earlier frustrations with Peridot colour her actions just a bit too much? Because while yeah, Garnet is most definitely the spokesperson for healthy relationships, there ain't nobody's who's perfect, and we've already poked at her issues with patience/trust/that sort of thing.

i could also see a "hey c'mon, it'll be okay, lemme help, you'll see!" with a later revelation of "oh shit that was really wrong of me." even healthy relationships do that sometimes.

• Like x 3
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

how does “I get it, you’re not ready, that’s fair ” come across as anything but “I get it, you’re not ready, that’s fair ”? they seem to be trying to find something where there's not, or i'm just being too literal again.

but yeah, the reason i brought up the visor theory was because i noticed during the episode she was ruby tinted when she said "you wanna?" and sapphire tinted when she said "we don't have to"

edit: or, that's what i thought i saw anyways.

• Like x 9
  9. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@Deresto oh hey right, I remember reading this ages ago. nice.

and as to the line of dialogue - honestly i could take it either way. if it were Ruby, i'd think it might have a bit of taunt in it. (if Amethyst were saying it, I'd wonder about the motive too - but again that would depend on context). Sapphire? definitely literally what she's saying.

i dunno. it's a really good question.

• Like x 1
  10. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i... haven't read it that way? to me it just read like Garnet, like the other Crystal Gems, is pretty ethusiastic about Fusion, usually for a purpose, but in Garnet's case just because.
    And Peridot has no idea what to expect?
    And yes it reads like a sexual situation sort of maybe but honestly it sounds more like a girl from a conservative household is stranded in a hippie commune and Garnet offered her to 'join in if you want?'

• Like x 12
  11. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

yes i most definitely think we are reading Human Society into this a lot XD which, i mean, duh...

• Like x 3
  12. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I dunno, I'm having a hard time seeing how that scene was wrong of Garnet.
    Like I can see the "you're not ready for it" being kind of a taunt in general, but not the way Garnet said it. Especially since she followed up with "Another time then." So that it wasn't completely off the table of Peridot did change her mind...

How else should she have said it in order to give Peridot an out?

Hmm, I think I'm too stuck being mad at Tumblr for never being happy about things to think about this clearly.

• Like x 9
  13. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@Re Allyssa
    that's true, she did say "another time", i forgot about that. in that case, i think her light tone (which could be interpreted as flippant, especially in a very calm/reserved gem like Garnet) is exactly what it is: relaxed, at-ease, zero pressure.

• Like x 5
  14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

wait, garnet has future vision. what if she knew the likelihood of peridot giving up at the end was really high, so she did it because she knew it would make peridot understand her a little more, since peridot is more comfortable when she understands things and so everything feels less awkward teamwise? i mean, garnet relies on her future vision a lot, if the end of the episode is any indication.

• Like x 9
  15. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

OH MY STARS WE FORGOT ABOUT THE FUTURE VISION

• Like x 4
  16. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

did anyone else notice that the couple peridot shipped, pierre and percy, sounded like, from the names, like a slash couple?
    just yeah, i did and SQUEE!
    edit: @Dist's girlfriend ninjaed me, haha

• Like x 3
  17. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

peridot is the cutest slash fangirl

• Like x 4
  18. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

I thought Peridot stumbled, due to her can-stilts, and slipped out of Garnet's hands.

Rewatching that part of the episode... "You're not ready, that's fair" is definitely said genuinely and sincerely. Garnet is giving Peridot an out, not taunting her. My interpretation of what follows: Peridot is enthusiastic (if awkward) about accepting -- she's not coerced into trying. She's also 100% inexperienced, so Garnet takes the initiative and tries to guide Peridot into a dance. The hand slip is more ambiguous than I'd originally taken it -- especially with her saying "no no nonono" as they disconnect.
    But probably most importantly, when Peridot says "no", Garnet says (still genuine and sincere (to my reading)) "That's fine." Both times Peridot is unsure, Garnet's cool with stopping right there. I don't read any grossness into their interaction at all.

• Like x 13
  19. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

I am really excited for Peridot to fuse with someone, though. (Maybe... everyone?) That'll be a super fun episode.

• Like x 10
  20. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

I am four pages back and also haven't seen today's episode yet but I wanted to respond to this

I wish I could like a post more than once bc TRUUUUUUUUU I love her I saw her in concert by accident and straight up almost died

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice