Steven Universe

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 24, 2015.

1. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter literally Eevee

that is what I am truly hoping for.
    please let Rose have murdered Pink Diamond.

• Like x 4
  2. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Hell yeah.
    Especially if she was a trusted bodyguard or something, like those Quartzes standing guard for Blue Diamond.

• Like x 8
  3. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

Like: My diamond! I have discovered sensitive matters afoot on the Earth Colony that require your personal attention and that I cannot feel safe relaying to you over this channel.
    *Pink Diamond arrives*
    "So what are these matters"
    My diamond, there are a treacherous group of rebels on this planet. In fact... they're in this very room!
    *ker-stab*

• Like x 16
  4. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

"Ker-stab" is a delightful sound effect

• Like x 4
  5. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

• Like x 2
  6. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Recently I've been getting the nagging feeling that all the theories are correct, in a way - what if Rose Quartz is a fusion herself? That hair could hide a whole lot of back-gems XDD (It's a long shot, I know, and probably wrong, but can't shake it XD)

Also - gem xenobiology (biogeology?) headcanon ACCEPTED.

• Like x 4
  7. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

-rolls past with some more headcanons this time about Amethyst from the tumblrverse, from VastDerp no less-

• Like x 6
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i'm probably the last to notice this but on a rewatch of the moon episode peridot is fused into lion's mane like steven when they land. can she go into that weird mane dimension??? that would be rad.

• Like x 4
  9. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Better headcanon than Rose killing Pink Diamond:

Pearl killing Pink Diamond.

Pearl, from what Garnet said, seems to have been viewed as an even bigger threat than Rose--Rose is simply the leader, Pearl is the "terrifying renegade." Whether she did it per Rose's orders (probably more likely) or as her own act of rebellion is hard to say, but I really like the idea of one of the main catalysts for the war being some unassuming handmaiden whose only reason for being built was to be pretty and follow orders, who decided to straight-up fucking murder a bitch.

• Like x 17
  10. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

what if both of these? what if bamf pearl who's fed up with not being seen as a person and decides to change things, and bored rose who happens to be present during the execution? i can totally imagine rose making those star eyes at pearl and telling her she's "interesting" and pearl just falling headfirst into a world where someone sees her instead of a piece of fancy background decoration.

• Like x 15
  11. Acey

OH SHIT I DIG THIS. <3

• Like x 5
  12. Rongeur

Rongeur ~Heartless Bitch Extraordinaire~

Yesssss, all aboard the achondroplastic Amethyst headcanon train, bitches.

that sounds like one of those godawful "diagnosis-charactername" urls, lol.

• Like x 6
  13. Acey

That's one of the many great things about the show, and I know I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating: there are characters who can very easily be interpreted as representing various things, in a way that manages to not be heavy-handed. Garnet's backstory? Pretty similar to people who have been criticized for same-gender relationships (or, as some pointed out, interracial or inter-class relationships, which is closer to what actually happened with Ruby and Sapphire). Amethyst? Pretty clearly the Gem equivalent of someone with a birth defect, as well as having parallels to an unplanned child. And it's not forced down our throats--and indeed, I think they do a very good job of not coming across as patronizing.

I think Too Far is a particularly good example, with Peridot's "you can do everything a normal Quartz can do!" comment being treated as blatantly offensive instead of some obnoxious pseudo-inspirational bullshit. Like, the whole "Little Billy has (insert disorder here) but he can still do things that people who don't have (disorder) can do!!" thing has always bugged the shit out of me, and it was so fucking refreshing to see that attitude portrayed as patronizing and offensive.

And it doesn't come across as Representation For Representation's Sake either. Yes, pretty much all the CGs (I say "pretty much" because we don't really know that much about Rose yet) would be considered misfits on Homeworld--Garnet's original formation was viewed as an abomination, and Pearl and Amethyst have both been described as "defective" by various Homeworld Gems. (Incidentally, I'm still not buying the "Pearl's 'defect' is that she views herself as her own Gem" headcanon--I'm still on the Autistic Pearl Boat, and it's pretty easy to interpret her as having some form of mental illness as well. But I digress.) But that's not all that they are. They're all fully-formed characters with their own strengths and weaknesses that go beyond what they represent.

Ditto with race, IMO! Take Connie, for instance--she's very clearly a POC, and I've seen some theories floating around (which I'm inclined to agree with) that part of Dr. Maheswaran's treatment of her is less "generically overbearing to the point of abuse" and more "tiger mom," which is, sadly, a very common issue in Indian culture from what I've read. And she's been shown partaking in aspects of her culture as well--her outfit in Sworn To The Sword, for example, is based on a specific Indian martial art (which I can't remember the name of off the top of my head, I'm afraid). But she's also not some Token POC Friend--she's portrayed as a shy, dorky bookworm who enthusiastically joins in Steven's adventures, and who is his dearest friend and love interest, and who has actual interests and character traits and quirks in general. (I'd actually really love to see her heritage examined more, but I want it to be examined in the same light-handed way that things like LGBT+ issues and disabilities have been. And I trust that if--when?--that happens, the Crewniverse will handle it well.)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    • Like x 15
  14. Socratease

Socratease Well-Known Member

Idle Steven Universe thoughts:

I wonder if there's a connection between Rose Quartz's bubble shield and the bubbles for corrupted gems. I wonder where the whole 'Harvest' thing fits into it.

Tumblr user discount-supervillain brought up the possibility of another late-born gem in the Beta kindergarten. Maybe that could have something to do with the implied 'Steven vs Amethyst' arc?

I feel like I should have a gemsona, but I have no skill in making things, so not sure how to go about that.

The Pink Diamond speculation has been more or less entirely thrown out and I'm having trouble finding a new lens with which to view Rose. The last time I was this thoroughly japed was fucking Lord English.

• Like x 5
  15. Acey

I'm just happy that there are gonna be more Amethyst-centric episodes, personally! She doesn't seem to get as much focus as the other CGs, which is a shame because I adore her and I think there's a lot to explore there.

That said, they also seem to do the character-delving things in...chunks, almost? Not arcs exactly, but there seem to be chunks of episodes where certain characters get a somewhat disproportionate amount of focus. Pearl had a pretty big cluster of revelation-y episodes, and Garnet seems to be on the track to having a fair few of her own, so maybe Amethyst will be next? Shrug. I'm probably not making sense, but I'm really excited for Amethyst to have her day in the limelight.

Also, I know the episode listing is supposedly culled from CN's website, but I have to wonder how many of those titles are even remotely finalized, because a lot of them just...don't sound like SU episode titles to me, if that makes any sense. And given that none of the episodes in the previous Stevenbomb had their titles mentioned in that list, I'm guessing they're just working titles.

There have already been several episodes that had their titles changed during production--Zach Callison said, at the panel I went to, that So Many Birthdays went through a particularly large number of working titles, but there are a few others that I've seen listed, some of which were more drastic than others. And now I will list them and speculate, because this shit fascinates me okay.

-So Many Birthdays was called 10,000 Birthdays at one point, supposedly, and like I said, it apparently went through multiple title changes.
    -Lars And The Cool Kids was originally Steven, Lars, And The Cool Kids. Definitely understandable that they changed it, since the original title was abnormally long.
    -Fusion Cuisine was supposedly called Fusion Crime at one point. I'm a bit skeptical of this one, since the actual title makes infinitely more sense (especially given the reason they fused). Still, I've seen it referenced in multiple places, so there may be something to it?
    -Horror Club was originally Beach City Horror Club, and is in fact referred to by that name in some places--I know that TiVo records it under that title from personal experience.
    -Rose's Scabbard was originally called Rose's Secrets. Guessing it was changed because the original title would've been on the spoiler-y side, and the Crewniverse seems to revel in making wham episodes sound innocuous, which Rose's Secrets...yeah, that's the kind of title that just says "HEY THIS EPISODE IS AN IMPORTANT MAJOR ONE THAT WILL FUCK YOU UP." That's just speculation on my part, but yeah.
    -Onion Friend was originally called Old Friends, and while I personally think the working title sounds a lot better, I can also see why they'd change it--Old Friends is a bit spoiler-y IMO, though since it's not a massive "holy shit" spoiler it's still a bit odd to me.

...Honestly, if someone could link me to the alleged episode titles I could make some guesses as to which ones might've been working titles for the most recent Stevenbomb. Just wild mass guessing here, but hey, it's fun. :P

EDIT: Okay, so looking at the upcoming episode titles according to the wiki...

-Super Watermelon Island, Gem Drill, and Barn Mates all have synopses, so I'd definitely say those are actual upcoming episodes, particularly the latter two. I'm guessing Barn Mates is going to be the next episode, since there was that short leaked preview and it'd make sense chronologically, with Gem Drill following shortly (maybe directly) afterwards. Although it could also make sense for Gem Drill to come before Barn Mates, given the fact that (SPOILER REDACTED BUT YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT PROBABLY).
    -Now that I'm actually looking at the titles, most of them don't seem to correspond to episodes from the last Stevenbomb. The only potential exceptions I can think of are Too Short To Ride and Greg The Babysitter (both of which could possibly correspond to Steven's Birthday), and Know Your Fusion (which could easily fit either The Answer or Log Date 7-15-2).
    -One thing that I do find really odd is the alleged three-parter, since IIRC a member of the Crewniverse outright denied, when asked about it, that anything of the sort was in the works. Could've been misdirection, but a three-parter seems odd to me in general somehow. It just doesn't seem to fit SU's general flow.

• Like x 6
  16. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Unrelated, but I was listening to SU music the other day, and the juxtaposition of "Do It For Her" and "Strong in the Real Way" made me wonder: when Pearl sings "I want to inspire you/I want to be your rock/and when I talk it lights a fire in you," is she describing not only the relationship she wants with Steven, but the relationship she had (reversed) with Rose?

(Also, haaaaa, "be your rock." I always thought that was a little awkward but I just realized that. They're rocks. I am amuse.)

• Like x 8
  17. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

Yeah Pearl is my fav but she's had so many chunks of character development that Amethyst and Garnet are getting left in the dust! Bring on the Amethyst episodes!

Also speaking of Pearls I am in love with every single one of these designs

but my realy requests are that we get to see Malachite again soon, and after this conflict (and possible after the Amethyst episodes?) we get a nice long string of Beach City episodes. I think this is a pretty unpopular opinion in the fandom as a whole but I love the residents of Beach City and and love episodes where we get to focus on them ust as much as I love the "gem lore" episodes.

• Like x 7
  18. Acey

I HAVE MORE SPECULATION FUCKERS.

-I'm actually wondering if The Kindergarten Kid could be Amethyst's origin story episode--possibly a flashback episode along the lines of Story For Steven, We Need To Talk, and The Answer. If so: I AM HYPE.
    -I've heard a bit of speculation that Drop Beat Dad is going to be a Sour Cream-focused episode, which would actually make a lot of sense. The Cool Kids are minor characters, yeah, and the episodes focusing on them are usually focused on them as a group (Lars And The Cool Kids, Joy Ride), but there's definite precedent for the individual Cool Kids having episodes focused on them in the form of Shirt Club. And given that we've had some foreshadowing regarding the, uh, circumstances of Sour Cream's birth...yeah, I can buy it.
    -Monster Reunion has to involve the Centipeetle or I will cry. In fairness, I will also cry if it does involve the Centipeetle. SO MANY FEELINGS.

Another thing I've been thinking, after The Answer, is that all the Gems might eventually have flashback episodes along those lines. Like I said, The Kindergarten Kid seems, just from the title, a likely candidate for an Amethyst flashback. And while Pearl's gotten a lot of development lately, I'm actually guessing her flashback ep will come last, because I'm guessing it'll be very much entwined with Rose--and Steven has been (rather understandably, let's be real here) hesitant to talk to any of the CGs about Rose. Given the events of Rose's Scabbard, he's probably going to be especially reluctant to ask Pearl about her. But it's going to come up someday, I'm certain.

• Like x 10
  19. Acey

Agreed to an extent. I do love the residents of Beach City, but I honestly feel that a lot of the episodes revolving mostly around them have been comparatively weak. That being said, a lot of those episodes were pretty early in the series, and there's been a LOT of improvement since then, so who knows?

I will say that the two S2 episodes I found the most skippable were both Beach City episodes, though: Love Letters and Sadie's Song. I know Sadie's Song seems pretty widely adored, and I get why (it had some truly great moments), but I found it to be kind of dull and anticlimactic overall.

I think it would've benefitted from being placed earlier in the season, actually, since as it was, it came right on the tails of Nightmare Hospital, which explored some similar themes but was a lot more intense and (IMO) more interesting. It almost felt like a watered-down clone of Nightmare Hospital thematically, and I think it really would've been best aired elsewhere in the season, or at least with more of a buffer. Hell, it might've even worked better if it had just been switched with Nightmare Hospital. I dunno. And it also just...felt more like an early S2 (or even late S1B) episode. I dunno. Weird opinions I guess.

• Like x 5
  20. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I doubt Barn Mates is the next episode, because yeah, Spoiler Redacted. The watermelon stevens being on the bottom of the ocean makes me think that that segment of episodes is, in fact, presentation order -

We know that Malachite is in the Deepest Part of the Ocean. It seems to follow to me that the order is Super Watermelon Island (Steven and co get a clue about Malachite's whereabouts), Gem Drill (the drill is used to go to the bottom of the ocean, rather than after the cluster), and then Barn Mates (Lapis has been rescued).

- but that said, it wouldn't surprise me if there were more episodes between then and now.

I do feel that It Could Have Been Great/Message Received are a two-parter? And you could potentially add Log Date on there due to it having the aftermath of Message Received, but I felt that was more character centric than plot centric. I'm personally most interested in Bubbled, because [side-eyes Bismuth all the time]

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice