Subaccounts: Just so y'all have something to talk about

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Jun 23, 2019.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

So, Xenforo doesn't actually have a subaccount feature. Rather, a third-party addon has a subaccount feature. XF doesn't.

Guess what third-party addon *isn't* being ported forward to Xenforo 2.0.

Guess what version (1.5) of Xenforo is no longer supported or getting updates.

Soooo. We are facing some kind of choice here: What Do We Do? We can't have both patches/updates/security fixes, and also subaccounts. I am pretty sure this means we are gonna have to find a way to make do without actual working subaccounts in the future. I do not yet know what options we have. I think we can probably propagate passwords from main accounts to subaccounts, or something like that, maybe, so it'd be possible to log in as them, but creating them would be a lot more of a pain, and I'd sort of rather not; subaccounts are an administrative nightmare, because they interact atrociously with basically every other feature.

I've been trying to figure out whether any of the cool new XF2 features give us a way to, say, add a tag or something to individual posts that could be used as sort of like a "who's posting this" thing for RP, but I'm not finding much.

• Informative x 4
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

well damn that sucks massively D: Is there like a way to grandfather the subaccount feature in with minimal coding work? I don't know how that actually works, but if it's a third party plug in in the first place... again i don't actually have any idea how feasible that is, I Am Not A Computers Person

3. throawei

throawei Member

so lik fings and toes crossed over her e because i dont rly want my selfhate to be linked to me but subs should count as like actual accounts in the migration rite?

4. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I'd assume that the subs would act like actual accounts, but I don't have the background to know if that's right. And I'm not sure what the site would do in terms of... passwords for them (empty passwords maybe? idk)

And ima steal etansel's link from the discord to post in here, so it's also preserved on a platform where finding old posts is a little easier.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xenconcept-linked-accounts.7219/

5. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Oh No

Okay, so, uh--I'd vastly prefer security updates and patches to subaccounts, so there's definitely that. But damn, that's going to be a clusterfuck to sort out, because I remember the way everything broke when you tried to delete one once. If we can attach passwords to given subs based on the primary account, that's definitely a solution but... would the subs get their own associated emails as well? (I'm sorry I'm thinking about how much work this is going to be for you and just DDD: based on how many subs I have alone. Jeez.)

6. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Because it looks like the add-on is licensed software, I'm guessing it's probably not open source. So unfortunately I'm thinking not.

7. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

ugh licenses. why is the entire internet not open source again? (i'm mostly joking, thank u for explaining to me, i know nothing of these things)

• Agree x 3
  8. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

f

• Agree x 15
  9. seebs

So, we sort of have source, but it's in a language I don't know well, and also hate a lot, and it's an essentially completely different forum architecture -- like, XF2 isn't really related to XF1 all that much from a code perspective.

Someone found a thing called "linked accounts" which might allow sort of "switch between these accounts" type functionality, at least a bit, and I might be able to extract the current subaccount states, then convert those to the new "linked account" thing, if that works and is supported.

• Informative x 7
  10. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

can we get an early heads up before eventual science experiments happen?

• Agree x 4
  11. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

So I know for a fact that sub accounts can be given passwords and be logged in under solely on their own. Gee is a sub of Eddie and when I asked for a password reset, seebs accidentally created a password for the Gee sub, which is all I use anymore tbh, so no big deal

What I'm saying is; it would take a decent amount of effort, but could the same somehow happen for everyone else? Yeah, you'd have to log out for your other account, but at least you'd still have access?

12. throawei

throawei Member

so lik 2 big issues i can see wit thsi

1- the rpers have lik legit dozens of accts. even if they all share a pass (which huuuge security risk gratz now youre gonn have sum1 go thru the rp guest book and go thru a persons accts til they get in then get main acct) u still have them switchin accts like 10x n hr n thats just 2 much work 4 fun

2- i dont part want ppl to kno whos sub i am cuz i mean even if its seebs gratz now i cant post that i wanna die or that im a sekrit transphob or w/e hot take u get from my thred cuz i run th risk of a casul 'r u ok thro?' so if this linked thing works then gr8 hope he can just link acct # w/o paying attn to the username attched.

just my 0.02 tho

13. seebs

I don't really pay attention to subaccounts. I can track them, in principle, sometimes I do when I need information, but mostly I avoid paying attention. My memory for names is awful, too, which helps.

I could almost certainly just copy passwords from every account to all its subaccounts, or something like that, but that's not great as noted. If the linked account thing works, I might be able to just save the set of account relationships, and then migrate it to the new thing.

• Informative x 1
  14. throawei

throawei Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice