Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. sidneyia

sidneyia from TV

I have one of those but I hurt my jaw really badly by chewing on it. It was large round beads, though. Maybe a different shape would work better.

• Witnessed x 1
  2. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

Stimtastic's dulcimer and gem beads are pretty squishy. I have a rather weak, easily hurt jaw but I don't have issues with those (and I actually chewed through the gem beads eventually because they're hollow in the middle and my favorite spot to chew was where the silicone is thinnest around the middle). The blossom is good too if you want something with lots of texture. I think they have some other thin, light ones, but I haven't tried them.

• Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  3. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I may be completely wrong here but my assumption is that as long as it has a microSD slot, you can put whatever sized microSD card in there.

• Informative x 1
  4. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

A lot of them at least claim to have a cap on size. :(

5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

What does having a cap even accomplish?? If they're not even offering, like, specific cards that can be used to make extra money???

That sucks. :/ I hope you can find a nice tablet in the price range that doesn't have that kind of issue.

• Agree x 1
  6. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Probably not very useful information but the size cap is not punitive. It’s because the microsdhc cards, holding up to 32 gb, are using the FAT32 file system. It literally cannot make use of more than 32gb of memory because that’s the limit of the room it has for unique memory addresses. Even if the memory were physically there it wouldn’t be able to interact with it.

Larger cards are using a different file system. It’s a proprietary Microsoft thing called exfat apparently, which I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of. A device that was created to use microsdhc just might not be functionally capable of talking to these bigger cards even if you could add all the code without breaking anything.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  7. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

@Acey belatedly, because I've been out of town, I actually currently have a 64gb microSD in my tablet and it works just fine. I don't have exactly that model because mine has cellular data, but the one you linked is identical to the one I have other than that.

• Informative x 1
  8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

It looks like I’m actually getting a Kindle Fire, which isn’t IDEAL but should suit my needs if it has expandable storage, which I think the new ones do?

9. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

Just found an inexplicable $36.99 charge on my paypal, which was apparently set up as a monthly recurring payment. Woo!

Already reported it to Paypal and requested a stop payment/refund on both transactions I found, so there’s that, but I don’t suppose anyone here knows who WSJ/Barron’s is or what service they provide?

Also, how to get rid of the skin-crawly unclean feeling of having money disappear when I don’t know why or remember agreeing to it but being worried that I actually did agree to it and now I’m a bad person for trying to get my money back?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    • Witnessed x 1
  10. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Wall Street Journal and Barron's. So news.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  11. vegacoyote

... I agreed to a $9 a month subscription, which I cancelled after two months because I couldn’t afford it.

crap did I agree to something else without knowing it?

• Witnessed x 2
  12. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Apparently Barron’s is an investment publication. Doesn’t seem like something you’d subscribe to on a whim or by accident.

Edit: Ahh, that makes sense. I hope you can get it canceled, for real.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  13. vegacoyote

Oh these fuckers.

They have automatic renewal turned on. There is no online way to turn it off. You have to call customer service.

I thought I cancelled my damn subscription, but as far as I can tell that’s actually impossible without making a damn phonecall.

As far as I know, I fucking agreed to this shit when I signed up. Cancel the $9 payment, pay $37 instead.

Arrgh.

• Witnessed x 4
  14. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

how is that legal

• Agree x 4
  15. vegacoyote

It’s legal cause I clicked the box that says “I’ve read the terms and conditions,” that’s how.

And to be clear, I’m not even sure that’s what’s going on. It’s just an extrapolation from observed facts mixed with outrage. That sort of thing tends to make the ol’ conclusion-generation engine go boom.

I’m super pissed about the phone thing though. That’s gotta be an accessibility violation.

• Witnessed x 4
  16. vegacoyote

... Hold up.

The $9 a month subscription was to the Washington Post, not the fuckin Wall Street Journal. I have less than no reason to be buying a subscription to the fuckin Wall Street Journal.

OK now I’m just.... what’s the emotion that goes with waking up at 5 AM with an epiphany about W-starting news publications that you definitely wouldn’t have agreed to pay cash money to?

... Never mind, I go back to sleep now.

17. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

i'm going to spend christmas with my mom. plane tickets are $1300, bus tickets $250. It is obvious that I should pick the bus tickets, but it's a 20 hour trip and i've never travelled by bus before. I kinda want to save money, but I also don't know if it's worth spending almost a day in a bus, and I'm afraid of accidents or, like, what if someone robs the bus. thoughts?

18. > plane tickets are $1300

Where the heck are you flying from? That’s insanely expensive.

• Agree x 1
  19. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I've done a couple long haul bus trips, and they're not fun, but I've never had a safety issue. There are also fare sales going on right now, and might be leftover stuff from Black Friday.

Also, and I'm not sure this is relevant, but if you're flying between Canada and the US, bussing over the border and flying within the US can be insanely cheaper while also saving on time (source: when I lived in British Columbia taking the ferry to Seattle or booking a separate seaplane flight to Seattle and then flying from SeaTac was generally hundreds of dollars cheaper than booking a trip that started in YVR).

• Informative x 2
  20. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Generally people paid to do transit try really hard to not get in accidents, as it's a giant deal if they do get in one. I've never been on a long haul bus ride like that but know tons of people who have done the 6-8 hour megabus from Chicago to Minneapolis and I've never heard of anything more uncomfortable than weird conversations with their neighbor happening

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice