Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Can anyone recommend me a good budget app? I really need to start keeping better track of my money, but. Adhd :P something simple would be ideal or else I’ll probably never actually use it.

2. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I've heard many good things about Mint. Most of these apps require login logging into your bank accounts so that it can track stuff too.

Google sheets has a decent monthly budget template.

• Informative x 1
  3. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I feel like Mint has been advertised on a McElroy podcast at some point. I’ll check it out. Thanks for the rec!

4. How am I supposed to use stress management techniques when I have two lines of customers and a phone call to deal with?

5. advicepls

advicepls New Member

Hiya! Does anyone have recommendations for a digital art program that I only have to purchase once that is like, under $100 (or thereabouts)? Free programs are ok but I have tried GIMP and i.... simply cannot. Needs to be able to work with an old wacom tablet and be able to do laters and stuff

I’m okay sinking money into an art program but I don’t have the ability to do an indefinite subscription type service like photoshop.

6. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

I think there might be a paid version of Krita. I use the free version and I actually really like it, haven't run into any major issues so far. Although I don't know if it will run on OSX.

7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I like Paint Tool SAI, personally. I think it's around 60 dollars? Although, to be completely honest, I got my copy like... six years ago, and I haven't being paying attention to what's happening with it.

8. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Not an artist myself, but I've seen a few artists I know very excited that Clip Studio Paint is on sale. It's $25 right now, apparently.

• Agree x 1
  9. Bunny

Bunny aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Clip studio is a super solid choice for a paid for art program especially when it is on sale.

Sai is indeed also nice.

There are also a lot of free programs that are much much more user friendly than gimp. Gimp is more for photo manipulation than painting and when it comes to free programs a lot of people feel it is the worst option. So folks can give you reccs on nicer free programs as well if you are working out what sort of UI and program complexity you like

• Agree x 1
  10. advicepls

advicepls New Member

Thanks! Ill check those out :)

11. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

Thirding clip studio - I actually think it does a lot of art (as a opposed to photo editing) stuff far better than photoshop

12. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Seconding Sai, myself, although it has some limitations. (I really need to check out Clip Studio but I fear change.)

Also, Krita is pretty damn good, but it has one limitation that makes it nigh-unusable for me, and that's that you can't save your brush settings afaik. As someone who likes to draw with the same brush every time, this is super frustrating! That said, it's a very good program otherwise, so if you can look past that issue I recommend it!

13. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Autodesk Sketchbook went completely free recently. I’m not a huge fan of the UI, but it’s definitely a good program for art and there were a lot of people happy about it on my dash.

• Agree x 1
  14. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

EDIT: done the thing, it went ok. There's a different job we can give her that I think she'd be a great fit for.
    I have to conduct a job interview tomorrow for someone I already know I won't give the job to. I've never conducted a job interview under any circumstances, so I'd be nervous about it anyway, and this just makes it worse. Help???

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  15. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

Are you the only one interviewing, or are you part of a panel?

16. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

It's me (college radio station manager) and the student media group advisor. The hiring decision is ultimately up to me (and has already been made -- there's only one other candidate and he's clearly a much better choice).

17. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

What is “evening dress”? I just got an invitation to my cousin’s wedding, and that was the dress code. (If it matters, the ceremony is at 4:30 PM and we’re in America.) I tried to look it up online and just got more confused.

18. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

For men: typically a suit, sometimes with or without a tie, usually without a vest underneath, usually without a bowtie.

For women: typically a floor-length dress of a subdued pattern, sometimes specifically with only a single color (black is very common, red, dark blue, and emerald green are colors I've seen a lot, white's sometimes a good one but not at a wedding) in a formal cut; 'evening gown' is a useful search term here, and will pull up the right stuff.

19. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

In America "black tie" is often equivalent to evening dress and may be an easier search term. Ime the biggest difference is that in black tie shoulders should not be exposed and gloves are worn for women, but in evening dress strapless gowns and no gloves are acceptable.

20. latitans

latitans zounds, scoob

Are navy suits okay, or is it black suits only? And do dresses need to be floor length? The wedding is in August and I believe the ceremony is outside on a roof, if that factors into it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice