Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

I had all four of my wisdom teeth out at once (under general anesthesia because I have No Chill with medical stuff and they would barely manage to get NEAR my mouth with a needle if I wasn't Out). Everything afterwards went fine, except for some involuntary naps from the pain meds and sadness because I couldn't eat normal food. Just follow the post-op instructions to the letter -- apparently some people just decide to ignore, for example, the "no drinking from straws for x number of days" bit and fuck stuff up.

• Agree x 1
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm hoping they can just snip the gum pocket away, but this is useful to know :)

3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Is there a thread where I can ask a moderator to move some stuff? I ended up starting a Hiveswap tangent in the Homestuck thread and it needs shifting.

4. versi2

versi2 ???????

I think you just report your own posts

• Agree x 4
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Thanks, this helped a lot! My letter ended up a bit stilted but she still liked it :D

• Winner x 2
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I know I used to have a lot more executive function than I do. I think I'm depressed about my shitty life situation, but I can't do anything about it because I don't have the energy to do anything. Anyone got advice for improving spoon count?

7. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Try to make sure you're getting adequate sleep, water, and nutrition? If making meals is a problem, multivitamins (including gummy vitamins! which are fun) and meal replacement shakes are super helpful. I have meal replacement shakes for breakfast pretty much all the time because mornings are hard.

• Agree x 3
    • Useful x 1
  8. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

Figure out what is important. Make a to-do list or chore-chart. Go ahead and do not-so-important but still useful stuff if you can't push yourself to do the important things, but try to do the important things.

If you can do anything easy to reduce visual clutter, it might help.

If steam-in-bag veggies are cheap enough in your area, they're a good way to eat something without having to really work for it. You can even cut the bag open so you barely have to rinse the plate when you're done. (Salad dressing goes with some veg, marinades also work.)

9. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

some people find it helpful to do a few easy things, like playing an enjoyable video game or something, just to convince their brain that sometimes when they try things, it works

• Agree x 2
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I turned off Tumblr's explicit filter but explicit content still won't show up in the search, what's with that?

11. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Tumblr Is A Functional Website

• Agree x 5
  12. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

What do people know about taking out smallish (a couple thousand) personal loans?

I have zero experience in this, but from I can gather I should "look for a decent, fixed interest rate" which is defined by "under 10% if you can swing it"

Anything else I should know ?

13. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

If you have an account with a bank or a credit union, talk to them first - most branches have a banker and they're generally likely to give you more favorable terms. Before you talk with anyone, know your credit score - creditkarma tells you yours for free - because that determines the repayment terms you qualify for. See if you can find out what interest rate people with similar scores qualified for, so when you talk to someone about a loan, you have a stance to negotiate from.

Edit: this personal loan calculator should give you a pretty good starting point so you know if someone is trying to snow you

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    • Informative x 1
  14. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Neither of my banks have any branches in my area. Is a phone call good enough?

I have pretty good credit and access to multiple credit trackers, so I'm good on that front!!
    Research is a pretty good idea, though...

I've gotten multiple offers in the mail that look pretty decent, so I was going to go with one of those, but I didn't even think to check my banks first. Thanks!

15. sirsparklepants

Yeah, a phone call should be fine! If you have other offer terms to compare what your bank gives you, that's a good place to negotiate from too.

16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I think the one tooth which is giving me trouble really does have to come out, but I have a mild obsessive thing about symmetry and even numbers and they apparently won't remove the other three because they're fine. Also I don't want my teeth to spread out and make me look like a picket fence. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Should I go through with getting it out? Mild annoyance is better than repeated mouth pain. It might help if they let me keep the removed tooth, do they do that?

17. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I've had all four teeth out, but my teeth haven't spread at all, and considering they have tons of room to do so, I think you'd probably be fine. Sonething to talk to your dentist or oral surgeon about though, they'd probably have a better idea about the risk.

18. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

when i got a wisdom tooth out, they asked if i wanted to keep it before i could even bring up the subject!

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  19. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

What the fuck? My dentist didn’t let my sibling keep their wisdom teeth because apparently they’re a biohazard or some shit. I’ve been contemplating telling him I need to keep mine for religious reasons if I ever have to get mine out. @hyrax are you in America? Maybe the regulations are different elsewhere?

20. sirsparklepants

I'm in the US and I have my wisdom teeth from when I got them out? Might be a dentist vs oral surgeon thing because I got mine out with an oral surgeon.

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice