Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

Can someone explain what exactly a "picture that shows my personality" is in terms of a job application? Because. What the Fuck.

• Witnessed x 5
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

What kind of personality does the job want you to be showing?

3. Lebesgue Integreat

That's my issue. I don't really know. It's a tutoring company. And they just. Want everything. "What are 5 words your BFF would use to describe you" and "Would you be willing to share any personality test results that you have" are two word for word questions. At the moment I'm thinking just taking a nice picture in fancy professional clothing.

• Witnessed x 1
  4. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Innocuous travel picture is what I'd go for. Volunteering in a developing nation for preference, Europe, East Asia, or camping also acceptable. Or a picture with a pet. I think most of it's probably a trap for people who'd submit photos of them drinking as a thing that shows their personality, but instagram-ready nonsense would be, like, the peak of what they'd be looking for.

• Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  5. Lebesgue Integreat

Got you thank you. This is an excellent excuse to hug my cat and take selfies with her. Seriously though, thank you.

• Like x 1
  6. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

how do I say "sorry for ignoring your email for 2 months but I'm a disaster running on 5% energy At All Times" in Professional

• Witnessed x 3
  7. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Hi, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've had a very eventful summer so far.

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  8. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

are there any good alternatives to google drive? I'm mostly interested in the ability to share documents with people publicly/privately/through links since that's all I really use gdrive for, but I don't want to use gdrive for it

9. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Dropbox is a potential alternative, and it does have file preview features that sometimes let you read it in the app vs having to download the file as a whole.

• Informative x 1
  10. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Hey so I'm filling out my AA degree application and I have a problem, would be nice to get advice soon? Basically, if I took a course back when it had one name, and now it has another (was basically transferred out of social studies to its own women and gender studies heading) do I list it under the name it has now or the one I had when I took it?

EDIT: Nvm, the form has a comments section so I'll just mention it there

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    • Like x 1
  11. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

So, about a month ago my husband asked me to schedule him an appointment with a therapist. I got a referral for two with my own, mentioned them to him, and he said he didn't want to talk about that at the moment because my mom was visiting; later he said he wasn't sure which he preferred, and even later said I should drop the subject because there was a cut in his income and if someone was going to spend money on therapy it should be the one who has "more chances of making it", aka me. I'm not cool with that but I am so overwhelmed at the moment with med school entrance exams prep that I didn't push the issue.
    Now, however, I see what a massively douchey thing to do that was and I wanna schedule it because I can see he needs help with his mental issues, money isn't that much of an issue and I just wanna see my husband well.

Problem is, he is low-key triggered by being pressured, and I don't know if I should do this, how I should do this, how to approach the subject if I do. I don't wanna make him mad at me and trigger a massive self loathing spiral, but I also want to do something to make him happy and what I think would help that is obviously not in my hands.

So, should I do it? How do I approach it? I need help

• Witnessed x 1
  12. Lebesgue Integreat

Would it be within the realm of ok to ask something along the lines of "Hey, what changed?" and then following the conversation where it goes?

13. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

does anyone have recommendations for mood tracking apps for android? I was given one of those paper log sheets that are like
    • what are you feeling
    • how strongly do u rate thtat from 1-10
    • what is the situation
    • What are your thoughts
    • is that accurate and/or helpful
    • Alternative accurate healthy helpful thought
    • What can i do to cope in a healthy way
    • How much did it help, 1-10
    • What else can i do to cope in a healthy way

i know i'm going to lose, throw out or ruin the paper somehow so is anyone familiar with an app that lets you record that stuff? I would just write it down in a note on my phone but i don't want to copy and paste the questions and my notes are cluttered as it is

Thanks

14. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Relatedly, does anyone know of any apps that help track homework/projects without being, like, guilty? Or idk. I’ve tried habitica but the first time i fuck up I freak and dont open it for months

15. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I can't speak to whether it'd work for you, but I've basically set Habitica up in easy mode to avoid exactly that. Nearly all of my dailies are things I can very easily accomplish ("Go outside" is on the list), and all my basic chores are under Habits, so they don't have deadlines and I just check them off whenever I do them. And I don't put deadlines on my to-dos even when they have deadlines IRL. Basically the only way I take damage is if I flake out on going to work. (And I'm a rogue, so technically I can avoid damage even then.)

• Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  16. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I use Habitica in conjunction with my Google Calendar - I put in assignment deadlines and have them send me emails like a week before a thing is due.

• Informative x 1
  17. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I've put Habitica on easy mode in that I never, never click the minus things, so even if I don't do the habit, I don't get penalized for it. And that helps ease my anxiety for it a lot.

• Informative x 2
  18. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I set all my habits except one to positive only, so the minus button isn't even there to click. (The minus button is for if I go to work, look at the voicemail, see there are messages, and don't check them before I leave. Avoiding that one can snowball badly enough that I think I deserve to lose some HP for it.)

• Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. Key

Key never make a triangle

There is an app called WoeBot that does at least some of that. I’ve only used it twice and it specifically asked how I was feeling, what I was thinking, whether the thoughts were tue or accurate, and if I could reword them to be true or accurate. It seemed like it would get into more than that if I kept using it, might be worth looking into for you.

• Informative x 1
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Is there a section on Kintsugi I could record my exercise stuff? If I have a proper exercise journal I won't fill it up and I'll feel bad for that, but if I set up a thread here I can just comment whenever but also have all the info in one place.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice