Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I've seen people use brainbent for general journaling purposes

• Agree x 1
  2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Does anyone know how to set the defaults on Android's photo share function? Because I have to keep it logged into my work email for the notifications, but usually if I'm sending someone a picture it's a game screenshot, and it's driving me up the wall, because there's always 2-3 rows of "person you texted recently" and "person you emailed once in 2013" at the top when I nearly always want Discord. I keep being afraid I'm going to accidentally text a Pokemon Go screenshot to my boss or something.

• Witnessed x 2
  3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm really hungry even though I haven't eaten less or exercised significantly more than usual today. Is this normal? Is this the past couple weeks of small changes catching up with me?

4. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Every time I tried to exercise I got super hungry after a couple days, esp for protein; I think it's a thing with muscle building.

• Agree x 1
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Yeah, meat cravings happened, so that would make sense. That's probably not gonna help my weight so I guess it's time to stock up on lentils.
    (I probably don't need to spoiler these but I know a lot of people here have eating disorders, body image issues, or eating-related medical problems, and I don't wanna cause upset.)

6. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I frequently confuse thirst and hunger, could it be that?

7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

No, pretty certain this is hunger.

• Informative x 1
  8. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

okay, I know not everyone has that problem.

seconding @witchknights when i started biking a lot I started to get hungry much more often, especially for protein.

9. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

I used to make an omelette with a ton of diced bellpeppers, a couple olives and an egg when I got protein cravings, it's more volume of food with calories only really coming from the egg. If you're really watching calories, maybe substitute something like that for a serving of carb? Like is eat that instead of having toast or something

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    • Useful x 1
  10. kleric

kleric Member

if the management emails you to come in to discuss details about the job offer that's a good thing right?? my Anxiety Gremlin Brain just spiked all the way to hell and back but it's probably a good thing???

11. Sounds good to me, yes.

• Agree x 2
  12. LadyNighteyes

Yeah, that's definitely a good sign. If they didn't like your application they'd just say no.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I tried raw mushrooms today, and the taste isn't too bad but the spongy texture is kind of creepy somehow and putting me off. Is it worth the effort to cook it a few different ways or do they stay spongy?

14. LadyNighteyes

The sponginess goes away real quick when you cook them. If you want to cook just mushrooms all by themselves, I suggest sauteing them, but there's a lot of stuff you can throw them in if you're so inclined.

15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Sautéed mushrooms and peas with garlic is of the gods

16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

That's useful, thanks! I usually hate cooked vegetables (texture thing again) so I thought I should try it raw first, but technically mushroom's not a vegetable so yeah.

17. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

So when I go to a habatchi grill, they usually include mushrooms in the vegetables. I used to hate mushrooms on principle. But in all honestly, if my steak tips got mixed up with the stir fry type mushrooms I couldn't tell the difference, taste or texture wise. And I'm very sensitive to food texture. (If I try real hard, mushrooms taste like the sauce they're cooked in and are a little bit softer than the steak tips.)

• Informative x 1
  18. LadyNighteyes

^This is why you'll sometimes see fancy burger places offering grilled portobello mushroom sandwiches as a vegetarian option.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Tried them grilled, taste is fine but I think I did it wrong because the texture went rubbery :( Will try sauteing.

• Witnessed x 1
  20. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

You might also like them breaded. Breaded portabellas are like. Biting through pasta almost?

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice