1. We've been a little overwhelmed with the rate of moderator activity lately, and @rigel drew the short straw. Congratudolences are appreciated, or you could give generously to the memorial fund for his sanity.
    Dismiss Notice

Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

yeah, and those ones I understand! the ones I don't get are the ones who do a lot of exchanges and are still like "what"

eheheh I personally set myself like........kind of dumb and v early deadlines
    as in
    "get this in the day assignments open"
    but to be fair I also end up having to do a TON of pinch hitting soooooo

• Like x 2
  2. garden

garden lucid dreamer

if i could set myself earlier deadlines than the Real deadline, and then actually stick to those deadlines.... then i would see massive improvements to my academics and life :P

but my previous strategy, “be motivated enough by the approaching deadline to write 1-2k words in the last day/few hrs before deadline,” failed me several times this summer and i ended up defaulting. so that bums me out a little, because the deadline is what motivated me to do my assignments, and if it can’t motivate me anymore, idk if i can sign up for exchanges anymore, or at least for a while :/

so i’m sticking to writing treats for now and not actually signing up.

3. keltka

that really sucks dude I'm sorry

I don't know if this helps, but for me, my imaginary deadlines have to have some kind of real weight and/or significance to them—like day assignments open, or deadline for defaults—or they don't work

take care of yourself first!! people always love treats though 100%

• Like x 2
  4. garden

garden lucid dreamer

that makes sense. for me it’s just like... my brain goes “not official, no consequences, not real, ignore whenever u want” to deadlines i try to set.

unfortunately this applies to more of my life than just writing. and i don’t even know how to begin fixing it. but i suppose i have bigger problems anyways. like “how do i make myself do things (like writing) on a regular basis that i want to do in a general sense, but that on any given day i usually just ignore and read fanfiction or play videogames instead.”

but treats are always good! i wrote a danganronpa treat for the Trick Or Treat exchange and it went well :3

• Like x 2
  5. keltka

witnessed/winner for that
    but treats are good! working without set deadlines, or picking something small and doing it in pieces
    we might end up having word wars for the big bang to encourage writing ^ ^

• Like x 1
  6. garden

garden lucid dreamer

oh yeah, word wars are nice! i love how there’s almost always someone up to word war in the yuletide/exchanges discord.

• Like x 1
  7. hyrax

hyrax tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?

i had a checkup at the doctor's office the other day and she requested that i get labs done to test for, among other things, anemia. i was going to go tomorrow but i started my period today. should i wait until it's ended to get the labs done? i'm concerned that my iron levels on day 2 of shark week wouldn't be representative of my normal iron levels.

8. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

No, doesn't matter whether you're on your period or not. If on day two of your period you're bleeding heavily enough that you dip below the bottom threshold for iron you have one of two problems anyway:
    Either you're levels were low enough that they would have pinged as borderline or too low anyway, or you're bleeding so heavily that the bleeding on its own is a problem.

I'd say go get your bloodwork done.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Oh, and also @hyrax , it would take more time after your period to get your iron levels up anyway. It's not like they automatically return to what they were before your period. Your body needs time to absorb the iron back from your food.

• Informative x 3
  10. hyrax

hyrax tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?

thank you! that's very helpful.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice