Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

They're small enough to handle easily enough, no one is likely to have a problem with that. Thanks :)

2. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Why would anyone teach a dog to bite gloves, what the hell

3. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

My dad is not known for his decision-making skills.

• Agree x 2
  4. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

has he like, ever stated anything even vaguely approaching a reason

5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Well, it wasn't that he sat down and went "I'm going to teach the puppy to bite gloves!", it was that he decided it was a fun game to get a pair of work gloves and get the puppy to snap at his hands while he was wearing them. Which, naturally, led the puppy to conclude that "person wearing gloves" = "happy fun chomp time." He's similarly taught the dogs to bark like maniacs at nothing by mashing the doorbell to get them riled up because he thought it was funny, and then didn't understand why they kept barking all the time.

• Witnessed x 8
  6. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

My Android's Google Drive app is currently having one of the most inexplicable and most infuriating bugs I've ever seen. I haven't had any luck trying to solve it or search for solutions on my own, so I thought I'd ask on the off chance someone else has seen it.

Long story short:
    - I have multiple Google accounts registered on my phone so I can switch between them in Google apps (Gmail, Docs, Calendar, etc.).
    - Recently I removed and re-added most of these accounts so they'd show in a different order.
    - Now one of the ones I re-added won't appear in the account list in the Google Drive/Docs/Sheets apps, even though it works in all other Google apps and in my phone's account manager, and every part of Drive except the account list works.
    - Nothing I've tried has fixed this.

More detail under spoiler tag:

I have six Google accounts. All six work perfectly in the Gmail, Google Calendar, and YouTube apps—here's how switching accounts looks in Gmail:
    Screenshot_20181117-163344_Gmail-2.png

(The two extra icons at the top are the two most recently-used accounts; you can tap one of the icons to switch straight to that account instead of going through the list.)

When I try to switch accounts in Drive (or Docs or Sheets), one of the accounts isn't there:
    Screenshot_20181117-163211_Drive-2.png

It's only that specific account, and only in Drive/Docs/Sheets; no other account has this problem, and the problem account shows up and works fine in all the other apps, including the separate account manager app that actually keeps track of all these accounts. Additionally, the problem account still seems to be connected to Drive, and it works perfectly if I manage to access that account's Drive some other way; it seems like it's literally just the account-switching interface that doesn't work.

Things I've already tried which haven't helped:
    - Using the "Add account" option in Drive's menu to add it (this option opens the account manager, which obviously just tells me it's already there)
    - Removing and re-adding the problem account (it disappears and reappears correctly in all the other apps, but still doesn't show up in Drive)
    - Removing and re-adding the working accounts (nothing unusual happens; they still work fine when re-added)
    - Poring through the settings on all my accounts and on the apps themselves to see if anything looks suspicious, or if changing any settings helps
    - Restarting my phone
    - Force-quitting and re-opening the Drive app
    - Uninstalling and reinstalling the Drive app

Reinstalling the app made me realize the problem account still works even though I can't switch to it, because it started re-downloading all my "saved for offline" files when I reinstalled it, and if I hit the notification for one of those downloads it takes me directly to that account's Drive. Everything is there and works perfectly while logged in to that account... except for the account switcher, which looks like this:
    Screenshot_20181117-162406_Drive-2.png

The account list is empty, and the part at the top that shows the info of the currently active account is blank; the only part that works is the icons for quick-switching to the most recently used other accounts. Everything else on that menu works fine; only the account info at the top and the drop-down list of accounts are messed up.

I have no fucking clue why any of this is happening, help. ;_;

• Witnessed x 1
  7. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

hey anyone know a decent site to stream shows (I'm looking for The Good Place s2 rn)?
    I don't have money or access to legal streaming and anyway I'm in Asia and sometimes certain shows just aren't available

8. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

try solarmovie? i’m in the us but it’s what i use if legal streaming avenues don’t have the thing
    i haven’t checked it for specifically the good place but it does have a lot of stuff

9. Nobody's Home

Thank you I'll check it out!

• Like x 1
  10. Nobody's Home

@artistformerlyknownasdave oh i have to make a free account? is that safe or did i get taken somewhere i wasnt supposed to go

11. artistformerlyknownasdave

hmm, i’ve never had to make an account, i definitely wouldn’t
    sorry dude D:

12. Nobody's Home

ah i think i found the issue, site has weird pop ups trying to get me but I thiink i found the way to watch it on the site hmm!

• Like x 1
  13. artistformerlyknownasdave

good luck!!!

• Like x 1
  14. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

For my birthday, I have a choice between a trip to New York (which goes on sale regularly) and just getting money (which wouldn't be as much as the money required for the trip). I could also possibly ask for a trip somewhere else that's cheaper than NY - I don't really know where that could be, but I'd probably try to find a way to meet some friends. But also, having money would make a lot of things easier. So, idk what to do there.

15. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

Have you considered making a list of things you could do on the trip and comparing that to other places that would be possible to go to as well as the things that just straight money would get you?

• Useful x 1
  16. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

Does anyone know where I as an American can watch Japanese game shows? Because GOD do I miss them.

17. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

@ChelG ime, the bridge of your nose hurting thing goes away as you get used to them.
    For me, the pain of new glasses is the glasses are too tight on my head and dig into the spots behind my ears and gives me a headache. ... I may have just realized why I always have a problem with my glasses sliding down =/

@keltena hmmm, it sorta seems like Drive seems to think problem account is on a different phone account or something...

I'm gonna do a bit of poking around to see if my idea works and get back to you

• Like x 2
  18. Re Allyssa

Wow I'm at a completely loss. Sorry, @keltena

• Like x 1
  19. Re Allyssa

I stopped using solarmovie because of the account thing and the adds and such.

And apparently putlocker isn't safe anymore =/

Watchseries might still be good?

AD blocker plus was letting too many pop-ups through and I switched to AdGuard and haven't had a problem since

• Informative x 1
  20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Gonna be honest I always just google "watch [show] free online" and click each link until I find one that looks like it'll at least wait to give me malware until after the video has finished playing. so far I haven't gotten any viruses ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Informative x 4
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice