Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

For me it's a bit hard to read on the dark theme

• Agree x 1
  2. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

Interesting, because I have the dark theme too, and not having the same trouble.

3. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

the blue doesn't cause me any pain, but it also clashes with the Sage and Sand theme pretty hard.

(tbh i don't like any of the color text, because there are so many different themes... it's impossible for any colored text to look good for everyone. a brown or dark green would look good on the theme i use, but it would look terrible on lots of the other themes.)

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Might just be me, I have some color issues

• Witnessed x 1
  5. Lebesgue Integreat

Yeah that is something that crossed my mind which is :smithsad: because COLOR!!!

6. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I'm using the purble theme and it looks lovely to me!

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

It's not super hard to read but I will admit that it would probably strain my eyes after several lines of text. (blues theme)

• Informative x 1
  8. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

It's also hard to read on dark theme for me but also I'm always on mobile with min brightness so that might have something to do with it

• Informative x 2
  9. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

i use the green one and its fine for me personally

shown both in the original post and in a quote bc those look a little different. Im using samsung browser on my phone

20181126_131255.jpg 20181126_131122.jpg 20181126_131213.jpg 20181126_131149.jpg

• Informative x 1
  10. Lebesgue Integreat

11. Lebesgue Integreat

Ok, I think that combined with everything else has convinced me. I will have no colors, thank you all for the feedback.

• Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. shmeed

shmeed plant me

am i screwing my long-term returns if i split savings between two vehicles? i want the security of an s&p 500 etf, but individual stock picking (long-term, not flipping) on the side also seems like it would be fun. but with the whole compound interest thing, it seems like the best idea would be to focus all my savings on just one vehicle to maximize its returns.

13. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I'm thinking of investing in a stim/fidget toy or whatever to maybe help me not get all weird and overwhelmed when people try and talk to me while my brain's in work mode. I'm a welder, so I'm wary of getting any sort of jewelry made of conductive materials. I'm a bit less concerned about stuff that might snag on moving parts, cause I use the lathe and mill seldom enough that I could probably just stow a ring or bracelet before using the machine. I was thinking maybe something like this? It looks like it won't be too lose, and if it snags it's just beads and an elastic cord, so it'll break before I do. Probably.

14. Birdy

Birdy so long

I got my boyfriend a spinner ring he really likes, but I don’t know how well that would suit your needs

15. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Spinner rings look cool, but I've read that rings are sorta a safety hazard when you work with machines. There's some cheap enough ones that I feel okay about buying one to try out when I'm not working, but work's where I really struggle, yunno?

I think the thing I'm gonna do is just try out a handful of promising looking stuff that I can get for cheap outside of work, and I'll worry about safety once I figure out what works for me.

• Like x 3
  16. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

hey! i don't know if you already got an answer for this, but when i started my ira account, I initially put money in one single etf that looked promising. i've expanded it since then, as money allows. imo it depends on how long you have to fuck with it + how much money to play with. less money/time, i'd lean towards one single vehicle. more time, less money? i'd start with the single vehicle, and then, later down the road, maybe expand.

• Informative x 3
    • Useful x 1
  17. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

Hi, I'm trying to think of something really good to get a 4yrold boy. He's the third brother, so he has a lot of stuff to play with. Like, they have a huge wooden train set and probably enough Thomas the Tank stuff. I'm thinking too young to give him a proper Lego set of his own. Do I go lazy and get him another playdough set? He likes playdough. I'm not sure about budget. I would like something that is STEM or at least sensory/motor skills.

18. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

anyone in this bar associated with medical physics in any capacity, or friendly with someone who is? i'm looking into applying for grad programs in that and would love to have a no-stakes chat with someone in the field

19. Birdy

Birdy so long

If he’s too little to handle actual LEGO yet, you could get him a set of those big chunky LEGO-ish blocks. Or, do they still make linkin logs? Or one of those stackable sets where you can make different tracks for a marble to run down.

If he has a lot of playdough but would like something similar you could get kinetic sand.

• Agree x 3
  20. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Idk if they still make Tinker Toys but those were some of my favorite building sets as a kid. There's nothing small enough to choke on so we played with them from 3 up.

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice