Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

Found it! It’s called Fannish Next of Kin
    https://archiveofourown.org/tos_faq#next_of_kin

• Informative x 3
  2. Jean

Jean Let’s stop procrastinating -- tomorrow!

Thanks!

• Like x 1
  3. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

heck if i know

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  4. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Allows you to comment on statuses the other person has restricted to followers only and let's you view their profile if they set it to private I think???

Edit: I just looked at the preferences pages, and you can set your account to accept pms, allow profile viewing, post on your profile, and a couple of other things to people you follow only, so it seems to be a "people you allow deeper detail" type of thing.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Informative x 7
  5. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Mostly I’ve noticed it shows me the icons of people I follow when they’re online. (I mean in theory. I probably look like I’m online most of the time because I have my browser reloading the front page periodically so I can see whether I have any notifications at a glance.)

• Agree x 2
  6. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Similar hat--I'm constantly "online" in the sense that I have my computer on and Kintsugi open in my browser the majority of the time, even when I'm not actively posting or reading or even checking (like when I'm asleep, for instance).

• Agree x 2
  7. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

Yeah same for me. I'm actually all but unreachable most of the day usually even though it probably shows that I'm never not on here.

• Informative x 1
  8. Acey

Does anyone have recommendations for hair bleach that works really well?

9. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Ion's Sensitive Scalp developer works really well--if you have dark-dark hair, you might have to do it twice, but it's taken my nearly-black hair all the way to frosty blonde with one go before, and it doesn't leave hair quite as crunchy and fragile as other bleach I've used. You have to get it from Sally's though.

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  10. Acey

Oh, that's super good to know! We don't have a Sally's in my town bc my town SUCKS, though...do you know if they have it on their site?

11. KingStarscream

They should! Ion's one of their big brands, so they should have pretty much all of their products on the website.

edit: It looks like they sell both the Big Chonky bottles of lightener and the little single use packets on there too, so make sure to grab that as well. You do have to mix it yourself, but it's not too complicated.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    • Useful x 1
  12. Acey

Thank you so much! Do I just buy the Ion developer and the lightener, or are the packets a separate thing? (Sorry, it's morning and my brain is being a bit derpy. :P)

13. KingStarscream

The packets are small amounts of lightener, my bad--I could have been clearer lol. I just buy the big bottle of lightener and a bottle of developer and go from there!

• Useful x 1
  14. Acey

No worries! Thank you so much, you're an absolute lifesaver! <3

• Like x 1
  15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

What are the rules on running a stimblog? If your blog is "anyone can interact", are you allowed to share stuff from other blogs which have a DNI and let people follow the rules on the individual posts?

16. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

does anyone know of any food besides meat that's good to eat when you have low levels of iron? I need some more iron in my diet but I don't really eat any meat besides bacon or chicken, because I'm picky and meat is either acceptable or outright disgusting to me depending on the texture, and I'm not sure what other foods are good for low iron levels

my doctor has offered to prescribe me iron supplements but I'd rather get it out of food if I can, especially since I already have two other prescriptions to juggle atm

17. Birdy

Birdy so long

spinach is a big one

• Informative x 1
  18. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Seconding spinach. Also quinoa, cruciferous vegetables, dried apricots, and pumpkin seeds. I think several kinds of seeds.

• Informative x 3
  19. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

This might be useful. Short version is there's 2 kinds of iron, one seems only available in meat, word is out on whether or not it's in eggs. Leafy greens are a thing as are nuts.

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  20. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

If you get iron from plant sources, there are some things you should know:

- Vitamin C will help you absorb plant iron
    - Drinking most teas and maybe coffee/sodas can reduce your ability to absorb iron from plant sources if you drink it while eating
    - Eggs do the same thing as tea, but thru a different mechanism

• Informative x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice