Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Personal experiencee UK-wise, any of the companies certified as Investors in People should, in theory, be capable and willing to provide you with accomodations to allow you employment; however, accomodations will vary based on location, and on how arsey the management is feeling at that particular moment.

• Agree x 2
  2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i'm in the same boat for a lot of this, and since i didn't have the option of not working from about age 16-30, i just got fired a lot. a LOT a lot. and it sucked. BUT. i did find a few gems.

the best job i ever had for fitting my strengths rather than my weaknesses was stock prep for a chain of gift shops. they'd get in boxes of fiddly little doodads, and they needed someone to count them, check the paperwork to make sure they got everything they ordered, take all the stickers and tags off, clean off any dust or packing peanuts or wood shavings and make them all pretty, put on the store's price tags (which involved writing very tiny in fine point sharpie on wee little stickers, because part of the store's Personal Touch was having hand written price tags), and divide them up to go to the chain's three locations.

it was WONDERFUL.

i'd show up whenever i liked, because they didn't have a strict starting time, they just paid for hours worked and trusted us to want to work. it was like... 25 women and 3 queer men. everyone understood that i didn't like to talk much, but i liked to listen to other people talking, and they didn't give me a hard time for being quiet. they called me The Machine because i'd hyperfocus on my task and just plow through like 5 crates of itty bitty glass christmas tree ornaments without making a single mistake. nobody else liked those tasks, and i loved them, so they'd open a box and there'd be this groaning, all "oh god, what are THESE, they're so BITTY, look at how small the made in china stickers are, and we have to get those all off? give this to The Machine!" and i was like GIMME because i loved those details. and it gave me leverage for never wanting to deal with scented candles. i said the candles gave me a headache and they never gave me candles, which they didn't mind because candles are not bitty and fussy.

i honestly have nostalgia for that job. the 'warehouse' was an old victorian house, with accountant offices in the upstairs bedrooms, and our processing center spread out in the former kitchen and living room and dining room. my best friend worked upstairs, where he did reorders and processed sales data, and we ate our lunches together. we'd take smoke breaks on the loading dock and just watch st paul go by, noisy and colorful.

i don't remember exactly why i had to quit. it was a number of things, my health problems and allergies and so on, but i don't remember what was the last straw. i was really sad to have to quit, though. i genuinely really liked it there.

tl;dr: look for stockroom processing type jobs, some of them are genuinely lovely.

• Like x 11
  3. Queer Disaster

Queer Disaster existing

What's a good source for decently priced soft pants? Like. elastic waist, straight legged (not leggings)

the ones i have that I got second hand are lands end and they're wearing out and I can't put down 50$ a pair

4. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Jogger pants aren't exactly what you're looking for but they're soft, have cuffs at the waist so the looseness is contained, and are on trend right now so they're fairly easy to find at most department stores/clothes stores aimed at 20-30 year olds. They also tend to have pockets.

5. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I’ve had two pairs of soft pants and I got them both for cheap at second hand shops.

6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I would try goodwill before looking anywhere else, if possible.

• Agree x 2
  7. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

i love my "black pants" which are just soft pants that look dressy enough for work when paired with my tunics and other work shirts.

you can get black pants at walmart or target for like 20 bucks. i recently bought a pair that have POCKETS which changed my whole world. (the worst thing about black pants is that they don't have pockets)

i'm in a Mood so the rest is rambling, but it might actually be useful?

i usually grab target's work out ones? they have short versions too which i grab. when i was getting the Pockets pair, i was in walmart and I was trying to find something else, so i was going around touching every pair of black pants i saw and then this one had pockets and it was close to the fabric i wanted (still not quite though) so i bought them

but yes they are soft, the waist is elastic, usually without drawstrings, and then they just flow down. not tight

ummm.... okay here are the target ones i usually get
    https://www.target.com/p/women-s-ev...4/-/A-15011692?preselect=14942153#lnk=sametab

i actually get the flare version, or the curvy version, but you said straight leg, so that's it.
    hmm, actually i might've decided i didn't like those ones because of that weird wide band at the top. couldn't tell without having it in my hands.

from walmart:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Women-s-...ant-Available-in-Regular-and-Petite/930693094
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sport-Women-s-Performance-Pants/52491376

tbh they all look the same online so i'm not sure which are the ones i get. but i recommend going to the store so you can touch them all and see which fabric is best.

In general, i just look for "performance" or "activeware" and make sure i'm not getting leggings or capris

• Informative x 1
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

My fever broke a day or so back but my throat still hurts like hell, and I've been kept awake all night by the funny squeaky sound my own breathing is making. Anyone know how to solve that? I need to know if I can visit my immunocompromised grandmother this week; am I likely to still be infectious?

9. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

...does anyone have any advice for applying for covered California when ur taxes for last year still haven't been filed

10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any book recs with black British characters, preferably written by black British people, preferably YA or similarly about kids/teenagers? I need some sources to write a character properly.

11. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Is here the place to ask about like...Knowledge about Minneapolis? One or two friends and I are possibly going there for a concert and I have no idea about like, wheeeere do you stay, is it better to like stay in northfield since its only 30 min away, etc

12. jacktrash

northfield's more like an hour away. you could stay in bloomington near the megamall and take the light rail into town if you really don't want to stay in town, but it really depends on your budget and how long you're staying and so on. and where the concert is.

there's a bunch of budget hotels near the university campuses in both mpls and st paul, and good bus service from there to both downtowns, so i'd say that's probably your best cheapish option if your visit doesn't coincide with some campus event that has a zillion students' families coming into town.

• Informative x 1
  13. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Thanks! I defunitely misread/misinterpreted the google maps directions, we'd be heading in from Canada fairly close to the border.

The concert is the evening of may 17th at First Avenue, if that helps. The goal is to be there i guess early in the afternoon, stay overnight after the concert, then head home. I can ask a friend who saw MBMBAM in mpls how she found a good air bnb too

14. jacktrash

oh yeah, first ave is really easy to get to by bus or light rail, you'll have no trouble. campus hotels or an airbnb downtown should be pretty doable.

edit: sounds like you're road tripping, so it occurs to me i should probably mention that parking downtown is a real bitch and a half, that's why i'm mentioning mass transit. that said, i used to drive in from the boonies to see concerts and park in various pay lots and it was certainly more convenient than taking a bus from somewhere free to park, even if it was expensive.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    • Informative x 1
  15. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

• Informative x 1
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

@aetherGeologist Thank you - oh, Dreda Say Mitchell! I've already got some of hers! I didn't know anything about her in real life but I remember the portrayal of London culture seemed pretty authentic to my rural self, better check out some more.

17. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

I need advice on how to go about decluttering a file folder on my computer...the long and short of it is that I used to save fanfic I liked to it, but then that became fanfic I planned to read but hadn't actually read, and then fanfic which met passing scrutiny. now the folder has become very bloated--I want to clean it out and just keep the fanfic I've read plus the more familiar, quality fanfics I plan to read, but there are so many files that every time I go into the folder to clean it, I get cold feet and end up backing out

anyone have any tips on how to go about this?

18. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Maybe make temporary sorting folders? Move each file into Keep, Not Sure, or maybe Delete if you don’t feel comfortable dumping them directly in the recycling bin? If you feel like you’re spending more time than you’re willing on investigating any one file, it goes in the uncertainty folder to come back to later. You get to define how much time is too much, but I’d suggest a minimal effort approach just to get the ball rolling, and keep it rolling. Then at least you’ll have fewer files that need special attention.

Moving a file, as opposed to making a copy, is very easy and fast for a computer. It doesn’t actually move the data in memory, it just updates its record of where the link to that data should be displayed for you, more or less.

• Useful x 1
  19. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Also, if just the number of fics is contributing to the "nope"ing, you could go in and grab a random number and move them to a "to sort" folder. That way you're not confronted with the massive list, there's just 5 or 10 or however many you grabbed, which might ping as a more doable job.

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 2
  20. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

i normally drink 1% milk but bought 2% the other day by accident, had some w my cereal abt an hour ago and now i have hella heartburn, could it be because of the milk??? i thought milk was basic so idk what do u guys think

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice