Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i think processing extra fat can make your stomach produce extra acid. sometimes i get heartburn after eating cheese or some other source of milkfat.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  2. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Anyone know a reliable way of looking up phone numbers to see who called you? Other than calling back because haha no

3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Does *69 or 1471 work on mobiles?

4. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I tend to just Google the number and often if it's a business or a telemarketer it'll show up on a site like 800notes or something.

• Agree x 2
  5. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Note that a lot of scam/spam callers use phone number masking(?) And make it look like x number is calling you even though x belongs to John Smith in Oklahoma, and he did not, in fact, call you

• Agree x 1
  6. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

"Spoofing" is the term I've heard most often, and it's common in both phone and email scams. Which is a bitch and a half, both for the callee and the presumptive caller, because it's not like they can help their number being used for nefarious ends.

• Agree x 1
  7. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

Recently started taking Lexapro at 5mg (babiest dose to be given), and I can't tell if my depression is worse because of it or just normal. I seem to have lost a lot of compassion and enjoyment in things, but it's only been four days? Would increased depressive symptoms appear so quickly on such a low dose?

8. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

does anyone want to hazard a guess as to why my laptop might have just... decided to not turn on today?
    possibly-relevant details:
    - got a replacement battery mid-december last year, but i plugged it in, took the battery out and plugged it in, and plugged it into a different socket, and nothing changed
    - got its keyboard replaced at about the same time, which is quite tricky on this model
    - on friday it randomly froze (possibly this had something to do with my cat walking on the keyboard and opening up a bunch of random shit?), and when i shut it down and restarted it it refused to admit the internet was a thing. i ran a network reset and that fixed it, and it behaved perfectly yesterday

ETA: it's a HP, serial no. CND6366KVG product no. X0Q78ES#ABU, and it was given a thorough cleaning at the time of the keyboard replacement though it's had a couple months to accumulate more grime since then. it's about... two? years old? i think?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  9. Re Allyssa

Not a doctor disclaimer here

I doubt it? Usually you gotta give a given brain med at least two weeks to see effects.

I'd keep an eye I it and definitely talk to your doctor if things get worse, or if you'd feel more comfortable enough doing it now. Especially contact someone if suicidal feelings crop up/get worse/more actionable than they were before.

Ime, it's more likely that the med hasn't taken effect yet, so that's why there are worse symptoms

But seriously, talk to doctor type if you're concerned. Usually there's a nurse line or something you can call because you're not the only person who has found themself in this position

• Agree x 3
    • Useful x 1
  10. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

are you getting a blank, black screen with the backlight? Like, is it turning on at all, or just not doing anything when the power button is pressed. Do you hear the fan spinning/feel the hard drive spinning up?

11. TwoBrokenMirrors

i hear nothing and see nothing; it's just. not responding. i'm going to take it to a repair place tomorrow but at this point i'm fairly resigned to it being dead for good. >=T

• Witnessed x 1
  12. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Good luck, hopefully the hard drive can be removed so you don't lose anything.

13. TwoBrokenMirrors

i mean luckily enough after the fiasco on friday with the network issue i crammed my picture and documents folder onto a memory stick so the only thing i'd be losing iirc is some music that's easy enough to get back
    i'm just. what the fuck is up even

• Witnessed x 2
  14. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Does anyone know enough about Google scripts to know if it's possible to write something that, say, scrapes the email addresses and names from every email with a certain label? I ask, from under a pile of 300+ emails about the education bill

• Witnessed x 2
  15. Re Allyssa

That sounds like something that might be done already. Did you check the like add on things you can do for gmail?

16. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I'm trying to do research for myself on this question, but I keep getting contradictory advice. I'm trying to develop a cool patched/messy mutating-over-time Aesthetic with my nails, but I can't find good information on how often my nails need to not have polish on them. Like, I get that biologically my nails don't need access to air (the amount of copy-paste condescending "your nails don't actually need to breathe" articles that are out there is astonishing tbh), but there's, like, a few scattered references to something called "keratin granulations" with like... no solid details I can find about how frequently you should totally clean your nails, just lots of timelines for how long to leave your nails clear if you notice any problems.

17. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

afaik, the major concern is that with patching and mutating over time, it'll build up unevenly and chip off more easily, making it gradually less tenable over time, If you got a buffer nail file (one of the square ones) you could take care of that, and I don't know of anything else that'd be a major reason not to? Like, you'll be able to tell if your nails are getting damaged enough to take a break.

• Informative x 2
  18. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Does anyone know how to handle feelings like when
    - get so excited, super excited, super duper excited that you're pacing around the room and waving arms around
    - then just soon after all that crashes so you're sad and or jittery with anxiety after

• Witnessed x 4
  19. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

generally i just let the energy run through me (i usually pace) and then i do something low energy and distracting while i'm sad afterwards? usually turning on a favorite movie or show (it's important for me that it be something i'm already really familiar with, or else i'll waste too much energy on paying attention to it, and it's not restful for me. ymmv), or playing puzzle games on my phone. cuddling also helps, and now i cuddle lebesgue, but when that hasn't been an option, i've cuddled my teddy bear, my pillow or my cat, depending on availability. i don't really know how to keep from having the surges of energy and then crashing, so my usual route is just trying to ease the sadness/anxiousness afterwards.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Thank you, I shall try that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice