Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Okay, it's up! Going to browse around for a few possible testers and try to find a voice.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Does anyone know an app that you can set to beep at you in a relatively non-obnoxious way at specific intervals? I'm under doctors' orders to make a point of looking away from my screen every half hour or so, but my phone's built-in timer app is really annoying when it goes off and I'd have to reset it every time.

3. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

look up pomodoro timer apps or something similar? one that you can customize the time limits, because those let you set up series of alarms basically and often let you customize the sound it makes

• Agree x 2
  4. prickle

prickle Member

blipblip is what i use for pretty much exactly that
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.nadolski.blipblip

• Useful x 3
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Is it a good idea to start a writing Patreon or Ko-fi if I mostly write fanfic? If there were going to be legal consequences, how bad would they be? If it's just an order to stop then that wouldn't be a problem, I could just stop if I got one, but I don't want to go to court over it. Does anyone have a Patreon like that?

6. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

I’ve definitely seen people do fanfic for patreon (at least as part of their offerings), but I have no idea how good of an idea that was legally, nor if they ever ended up in trouble for it.

7. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Does anyone know the etiquette, I guess, of making new character tags on ao3? like, if the character doesn't have a canon last name, should i just tag Character Name (Fandom)?

8. KingdomByTheSea

KingdomByTheSea Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the general format! Here's the official AO3 guidelines for character name tags: https://archiveofourown.org/wrangling_guidelines/7#Single_Name

• Useful x 2
  9. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

@Maya That's how I've seen most people do it! I think you could get by with that, and it's definitely less confusing than sorting through an infinite number of Roses

• Useful x 1
  10. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

ah! thats what i was thinking but i just wanted to be sure!! thank you guys!!
    follow up question: the character technically already has a tag, but as a group with others (the existing tag is "Oda Sakunosuke's Kids" for all 5 characters, but I'm writing about 2 of them) should I also use that tag, or no, since it's not the whole group?

11. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

personally, i wouldn't, because as someone who uses tags to search for things, i would be... eh, ultimately indifferent, but annoyed in the moment if i clicked on your fic, expecting a story about all x characters, and only got a small number

(opinion brought to you by my irritation at hobbit fics using the tag "thorin's company" and only having like. kili, fili, bofur and dwalin actually make an appearance)

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  12. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

that's fair! thank you!!
    (side note i just find funny: that tag can either be used to refer to 5 or 15 kids, depending on the verse, and that makes me chuckle)

13. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i have seen a few writing patreons/ko-fis. i don’t know about legal consequences; however, something to keep in mind if you do create one is that ao3 doesn’t allow you to directly link patreon/kofi/etc, in your authors notes, profile, etc. i think ao3 doesn’t even want you to mention that a fic was a commission, although i could be wrong on that.

it’s about legal liability for ao3, in any case; they want to be non-commercial because that’s less of a sticky legal area, and they want deniability of anyone making money off of it for legal reasons, which is unfortunate but understandable.

(the one fanfic patreon i saw that seemed successful was for a popular RPF writer, and ao3 told her to remove patreon links from her ao3, so either people will notice & report it, or ao3 will notice on its own.)

i do know that you’re allowed to, say, link to your Tumblr in your authors’ notes, and then have your Tumblr prominently link to your patreon/whatever, but you can’t directly link your patreon on ao3.

14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Oh, I knew about the AO3 thing, I was just wondering if I'd face serious legal consequences for trying.

15. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Any recommendations for a hard-to-kill, easy to maintain small plant for my office desk? Fair cop, my desk gets no sunlight, so it has to be a plant that doesn't mind that :B I work four days a week, so it needs to be okay for a two-day stretch of not being watered, too.

16. Key

Key never make a triangle

Mother in law’s tongue aka snake plant is a good no light hardy plant. I usually water mine every other week? I also keep it in a pot with peace lily and when the peace lily wilts I know I should have watered it two days ago, but the peace lily always perks back up the same day I water it.

• Informative x 2
  17. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

@Key oh! I recognize that plant, my parents have one at their house that's very large, it plus the pot is nearly as tall as I am :B so that considered, would I need to maintain a tiny desk-appropriate one regularly in some way so it doesn't become NOT desk-appropriate size?

18. Key

Key never make a triangle

I think just keeping it in a small pot keeps it from getting very big? Mine has definitely gotten bigger over the years but I’ve also moved it to a larger pot to allow that because I want it to be bigger. When I get back home this evening I can take a picture for you.

• Informative x 1
  19. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Does anyone know how to suppress feeling horny?
    Ultimately, its only a distraction for me and doesnt rly make me feel good or happy just jittery and distracted
    It's not rly often or a lot but even the bit of horniness is kinda just pointless for me specifically.

• Witnessed x 1
  20. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

Think Unsexy Thoughts is the classic. i've found that actively thinking about gross things doesn't work nearly as well as thinking about non-sex-related interesting things. when i have a Not Now Boner moment to deal with i usually find food pretty effective. i think about cooking, meal plans, recipes, grocery shopping... i think my monkey brain goes, "oh hey, yes, that also is an Imperative, i can definitely get behind this" and lets go of sex to focus on food without much of a fight.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice