Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i think most trans folks are aware that talking about pre-transition events is a pronoun disaster area and won't be upset if you're awkward. though they may have a giggle. i personally have laughed my ass off at the face someone made after saying about me, "when he was a little girl..."

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

That does sound pretty awkward. I think I can get the point across, anyway.

Topic change! I have a nasty skin infection and it's itching like fuck, does anyone know how to soothe that or at least make myself not scratch? I've got some medicated cream but it's taking a while to work and the instructions say not to use it more than three to four times a day.

3. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Chamomile and oatmeal are two pretty good irritated skin soothers! Soak them in warm water for tenish minutes, then wrap up in cheesecloth or something similar and apply to the skin for twenty minutes or so.

• Informative x 1
  4. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Cooling the skin can also help, so putting a cold pack on it should give some relief :)

• Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  5. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

For bug bites, I've found washing the area with soap would bring the itch down long enough for me to ignore it
    I've also found that putting an x over the bite with my nail will help in a similar manner.

I have no idea if either of those translate well to skin infections, so like. Try at you own risk

• Informative x 1
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

So here's that cover letter from last week, I finally kicked myself into writing it. Does it look alright? I'm still not sure about some of the language, or if I should put more emphasis on certain topics, or what. Any feedback would be appreciated since I'm still pretty clueless about this kind of stuff, and for all I know I'm completely off the mark :P

(Name)
    National Recruiter
    (Company) Corporation

Dear (Name),

I’m hoping that this is the right place to submit a cover letter, since the application didn’t explicitly ask for one! I know you probably read a lot of these, so I’ll try to keep it straightforward.

Basically, I was blown away by your presentation to my class at the New England School of Metalwork several weeks ago. Not just by your description of employee benefits, the strong emphasis on safety and quality, etc., but by the picture all those things combined to paint of the (Company) Corporation. Everything from the health benefits right down to the little things, like gym discounts and even all-employee stretch breaks, says to me that (Company) highly values its employees - that if an employee puts in the effort and dedicates themself to doing good work for the company, the company will respond in kind. The idea of that kind of partnership is what makes me feel that (Company) is a company I could enthusiastically devote years of my life to.

As I mention in my resume, I do have a little experience working in construction environments, and of course I recently completed the Comprehensive Welding Course at the New England School of Metalwork. I know I am coming into this field without much construction experience to start out, but I am confident that I can become a strong asset to the (Company) Corporation. Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Sincerely,

(My name)

7. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

It's a strong start! You could emphasize what personal qualities you bring to the table - why you'd be a strong asset.

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Urgh. Unfortunately I really don't have much experience in the thing I'm applying for, so I guess I'll have to spin up something about working on teams and having a good attitude? But I should have known I'd have to do that from the beginning anyway, I just hate selling myself -_-

I'm glad the tone is okay though, and thank you again for the feedback

9. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

it's not just 'working on teams' and 'having a good attitude'! selling "i'm invested in this and willing to put in effort to improve" is good too!! maybe you don't have much experience, but if you're someone who cares about doing a good job and learning new skills, that's also something worthwhile and that can make you a more long term good investment.

• Useful x 3
    • Agree x 2
  10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

okay, here's what I've got now, I just changed the second paragraph. I think it's good, though maybe I should put something more concrete?

Dear (Name),

I’m hoping that this is the right place to submit a cover letter, since the application didn’t explicitly ask for one! I know you probably read a lot of these, so I’ll try to keep it straightforward.

Basically, I was blown away by your presentation to my class at the New England School of Metalwork several weeks ago. Not just by your description of employee benefits, the strong emphasis on safety and quality, etc., but by the picture all those things combined to paint of the (Company) Corporation. Everything from the health benefits right down to the little things, like gym discounts and even all-employee stretch breaks, says to me that (Company) highly values its employees - that if an employee puts in the effort and dedicates themself to doing good work for the company, the company will respond in kind. The idea of that kind of partnership is what makes me feel that (Company) is a company I could enthusiastically devote years of my life to.

As I mention in my resume, I do have a some experience working in construction environments, and of course I recently completed the Comprehensive Welding Course at the New England School of Metalwork. I also have extensive experience working on a team. My attitude on the job is cooperative and goal-focused, and I enjoy working with my teammates to make sure that what needs to get done, gets done. I love giving my all to a project, seeing my efforts pay off, and knowing at the end that the final result is my best work. I view challenges on the job as both a puzzle to solve and an opportunity to improve my skills. I know I am coming into this field without much construction experience to start out, but I am confident that I can become a strong asset to the (Company) Corporation. Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing back from you!

Sincerely,
    (My Name)

• Like x 1
  11. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

How do I find the right AC adapter cord/powersupply/whatnot for my laptop? I want a new one because I suspect it may be responsible for the power issues my laptop sometimes has (like losing power when it's plugged in/ charging too slowly), and the cable's all kinked/twisted up.

Trouble is, I just. have NO IDEA how to figure out which one is a match for my laptop, looking at the adapter itself doesn't help at all and my eyes start bleeding the instant I try looking at HP's replacement parts shop my eyes start bleeding immediately, I can figure out no way to figure out which one is the right pick for my laptop's model.

(I know it could also be battery issues, but I don't mind trying out a new power adapter first, since hey if it doesn't help at least I'll have an unfucked cable. Also the battery check diagnostic on HP's little service software has NEVER worked, argh.)

12. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

There should be a part or model number on your old charge cable somewhere, that's what you should be looking for

13. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Not on the cord itself that I can find. The actual boxy warm part is absolutely covered in numbers and gibberish, though, all difficult to read and none of it obviously indicated as the part or model number.

14. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Would you be willing to post some pictures of it?

15. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Sure thing, phone pics though so :V

Let me know if you want pics of a different spot or angle?

Attached Files:

16. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

hm, on my old one there is a spot under hp with
    "Hp part number: XXXX-XXX"
    "Replace with HP spare: XXX-XXX"
    See if you can find that on there? It's right under the hp logo on mine, really tiny print though.

17. Silver Sheep

Silver Sheep IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Do you have access to a a better camera? Or do you know the model of your computer?

18. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

Sorry for the late response :X ugh my eyes aren't good enough to read the fine print, and no I don't have a better camera, sorry Q_Q

I do know my laptop's model, it's a HP Pavilion notebook (I do have the product numbers too, the HP assistant is good for that at least).

Also it occurred to me when I dropped by Fry's to get my roommate a gift card- do I need an exact replacement for my power adapter from HP's own site, or will any that I could find at a place like Fry's do as long as it has the right ends to connect to the cord and my laptop, even if HP didn't make it strictly for my laptop?

19. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Anything that has the right ends and power levels will work.

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  20. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

It's kind of like phone chargers, supposedly the one that comes with it is supposed to be the better, but ime that's only some times true.

I've used a bunch of universal cords. My only complaint is that they're not always a perfect fit. My first laptop died because the pin where the charger goes in got knocked around too much, so if a charger is loose I'm super paranoid about it. That might've been just a thing for that brand/model though /shrug

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • Informative x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice