Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

One of my usual passwords is coming up as possibly compromised, but it’s not the one I used for Instagram

:insert shrug emoji here:

2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i haven't lived in that area for so long all my recollections of restaurants are long gone, and the restaurants probably are too, sorry. fifteen years ago there was a really great middle eastern place... shrug

FAKE EDIT I DID A GOOGLE STOP
    HOLY LAND IS STILL THERE STOP
    APPARENTLY THIS IS A TELEGRAM STOP
    ANYWAY EAT AT HOLY LAND ITS AMAZING STOP
    I THINK EMILYS LEBANESE DELI IS STILL THERE TOO TRANSMISSION ENDS

• Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  3. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Thanjs! Added to list of places to nom

4. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Yeah, it does sound suspicious, and that’s good to hear. I’m not too shocked because haveibeenpwned enjoys a stellar reputation in the extremely paranoid security community. But it’s still good that people are checking.

• Agree x 1
  5. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Basically, the way it works is that it turns your password into a SHA-1 hash, and then queries a list of every hash in the database with the first few characters. It then checks if the hash it has matches any of them.

• Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  6. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I moved from Florida to Boston two years ago and moved in state one year ago. Also I moved at least 20 times as a kid...
    I can't say I did everything correctly, but here goes.
    1. Get utilities set up now. You can tell them the specific start date so you're not paying for anything when you're not there, but the worst thing is moving and not having internet for a month because that was the earliest they could schedule you. Also, if you're renting, taking over an electric or gas account is cheaper than if it lapses and they shut it off and you have to get it back on.
    2. Change your address with (all) your banks/loans/credit cards and the post office first. Banks, so that your transactions don't get declined bc fraud checks. The post office because it's convenient, they give you a bunch of coupons and shit to help you get started (like to Lowe's or Uhaul) if you do it online, and it's a good record for anything government related. (Most of this can be done online)
    3. If you have government accounts you'll want to update those quickly too. (For me, this would be like, with the TSA because I got the pre check dealie) (Most of this can be done online)
    4. Driver's license and car registration (and voting registration) are next. You wanna do this sooner rather than later because if nothing else, if you need a parking permit, they'll likely require you to have an in state driver's license & registration. Most DMVs make it easy to register to vote too. You usually have to tick a box. It's worth checking if your new state has open or closed primaries when it comes to registering with a party. Note: it can cost a lot for switching everything over with these things. I wasn't expecting it and after all was said and done it cost me almost $200. (Some you can do online, like printing and filling out forms, but you're likely going to have to waste a day at the DMV.)
    5. Keep all moving related receipts. If you're moving "because of work" (read: you have a job lined up), you can get a tax break. Even without the job you might be able to get one but I'm not positive on that.
    6. Make sure you have basic necessities for the first few nights at the new place. You'd be surprised how easy it is to forget that there's no toilet paper anywhere because it's packed and you haven't been to the store. Paper plates and plastic dinnerware are good ideas too, especially if you think you won't get to unpacking everything the first day (hint: you won't).
    7. So the bank thing is a big "it depends". My bank doesn't have any local branches to Boston or anywhere nearby. However, aside from getting cash out, I never need to actually physically be at a branch. For most major banks you can do everything online. If I really need to get cash out, I can go to CVS, grab some candy and get cash back without being charged atm fees. (I actually have a couple of different banks now, one of which doesn't have any physical branches, so I can transfer money there (usually instantly or within a business day) and then use the atm with that card, since they'll reimburse me the atm fees. I didn't always have that tho)
    Those are the major things I can think of? Most of the other stuff can be done as they come up, afaik.

• Informative x 3
  7. Knives

Knives Active Member

are uh. like. mental health diagnosis persistent? ? i found out a while ago that i was diagnosed with adhd or add or something when i was young but my parents refused to get me medication for them, n like, will that be noted anywhere that I can find ?

8. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

It... depends. If anything was reported to your school (if you went to a public school in the US, I can't speak to anywhere else) it may be part of your school records, but otherwise, if the doctor/clinic you went to is still open (or if not often the hospital or was affiliated with may have the records still) and it's been less than six years, they will still have your records on file. However, if you're under 18, you unfortunately don't have the right to request them :/ (Again, this is all US only.) Otherwise, your family doctor may have some copies of the records, or some parents save medical paperwork like that. Good luck.

Edit: apparently the length of time doctors are required to keep records varies by state like everything else, which I should have guessed, but it seems like the general guideline is that for patients treated under the age of 18, records are kept to age 20 or 21.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  9. Knives

Knives Active Member

ah, thanks.

seems unlikely then, i haven't been to a proper doctor in years and i dont think ive had a family doctor for even longer than that

oh well

• Witnessed x 1
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I want to come out to my family but am not sure how. There is a qualified doctor who runs an advice email service for gender issues, and he obviously can't diagnose me over the internet but he could be backup in telling them that being genderqueer is a real thing. Does it sound like a good idea to give them his URL when I tell them?

11. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

So, the hiring process at this company is taking a lot longer than i thought it would (been a week since I was told a new person would get in touch with me about details, and still no email :/) and I am running out of cash. Does anyone know where I might start looking for extremely temporary work, even as temporary as a week or so? I’ve been poking around craigslist, but even with most things on there it seems like “temporary” and “on-demand” means the summer at least. I have a car and a smartphone but not a computer, and my car isn’t actually under inspection right now.

• Witnessed x 1
  12. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

How about a temp agency?

13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

worry CANCELLED, literally as I was about to respond to you i got a call from the company to schedule an appointment for a drug test and hopefully start training next monday :D

thank u for the suggestion though, i somehow... forgot that temp agencies exist

• Winner x 8
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Congrats! Hope it goes well!

• Like x 1
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

16. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

@Knives re: medical records, it doesn't hurt to give your old doctors a call if you can :P I work in pediatric medical records and we never truly dispose of records, they just get put into storage if we haven't seen a patient for 10+ years, but we can always place a request to get it back out if an older patient needs something, we do it all the time. Obviously that's not the case with all practices, but you never know! And requests for records of ADHD diagnoses are verrrry common. Even if you weren't prescribed anything, if your old doctor still has the record of the visit where it came up (or any Vanderbilt forms if your parents/teachers filled out any), it could be handy.

• Informative x 1
  17. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I'm vacating an apartment full of accumulated furniture, none of which belonged to me originally and none of which I am attached to. My landlord mentioned to people touring the apartment that they could buy furniture from me when moving in. Would it be reasonable/legal to contact the rental company and ask them to put me in touch with the new tenants, if they exist?

18. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I don't know about legalities, but I definitely have gotten contact information for the tenant planning to replace me *and* for tenants currently sharing the building with me so that we could communicate directly. It's just anecdata, but yeah.

• Like x 1
  19. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

That would be completely reasonable, especially if you write them a note (something like this):

Dear new tenants,

The landlord may have mentioned that you could purchase some of my furniture.
    If you are interested, these are my contact details.

Phone number, name, email (whichever you prefer)

If you are interested please let me know by (date), otherwise I will make other arrangements.

Sincerely,
    Prismaticvoid

Then just ask the rental company to pass that along :)

ETA: I added the last part because I assume that you will have to get rid of the furniture otherwise

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

My expensive Sockdreams socks have worn through at the ball of the foot and I don't want to throw them away. Does anyone have experience with patching socks, or with this method, and if so, how well does it work?

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice