Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

This is fairly common in America from my experience.... Many apartments/other rentals will forbid pets because they do have the potential to do things that would be detrimental to the building (stain carpets, damage walls, etc.). If it's their property and you're renting, I kind of think it's their right to choose to make reasonable stipulations, which a no-pets rule could be.

• Agree x 5
  2. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

That's my experience in the US as well.

3. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I dropped a glass bottle of liquid smoke and did my best to clean it up, but two days later my apartment still smells intensely of barbecue. Please help.

It's a quartz countertop, if that makes any difference.

• Witnessed x 5
  4. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

get a toad. they dig down in their enclosure, your landlord will only see a terrarium and will never know it contains An Friend.

• Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

have you tried lemon juice? pretty good at getting most smells out of non porous objects.

• Informative x 2
  6. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

If lemon juice doesn't do it, I've had a lot of success using vodka for breaking down smells too. Cheap vodka works fine - we used to keep a giant bottle of bottom-shelf stuff in one rental house when we had to deal with regular drastic messes from a very ill pet, and it made a pretty drastic difference, esp on porous surfaces. As with any cleaner, test it on an inconspicuous spot of any surface you've never used it on before to make sure it won't damage anything--I would imagine quartz wouldn't react but I've never tried it.

• Informative x 2
  7. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Has anyone here ever done bookbinding? Is cardboard ok for the cover (gonna be covered w fabric) or should I use something else? What if I want to make it look decently "medieval" (making an in character notebook for my DND character)

• Like x 1
  8. budgie

Cardboard will definitely work for making a cover!

This pdf from Yale includes an excellent diagram of the parts of a medieval book and the names of all the parts, which makes looking up tutorials much easier, I found.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 1
  9. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Thank you! It is....way cheaper then the chipboard this tutorial I was looking at advises using.

• Agree x 1
  10. budgie

The main advantage I can see to chipboard is that it'll be a lot harder to accidentally bend and cause a crease. So long as you keep that in mind you should be just fine using cardboard.

• Useful x 1
  11. LumiLapin

LumiLapin Bad Bad Bun

Thank u v much! Another q, if u don't mind: it seems cotton is too thin to use for the cover. Is there any way to mitigate this?

12. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

multiple layers of cotton perhaps?

• Informative x 1
  13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

My computer's had a Redtext attack, and I've tried multiple malware scanners but they're not picking anything up and I'm still getting the popup ads. How do I get rid of it?

14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Informative x 1
  15. budgie

If the cardboard shows through one layer, I think multiple layers of cotton might be the way to go. Just test it out with some scrap first to make sure it stays flexible enough.

• Useful x 1
  16. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

perhaps painting the cardboard the color of the fabric you'll be using as well, to make it less noticeable if it does show through.

• Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  17. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I haven’t looked into this exhaustively, but so far I’m not very happy with what I’m seeing when I search for information on this. There are a lot of sites I’ve never heard of, some of which seem to have an amazing lack of reputation of any sort. I’m not seeing the kinds of names I’d expect to have at least something to say about it. That’s kinda weird. Maybe it’s just late and my brain isn’t working at full capacity but I’m not liking this.

18. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

IIRC, Redtext is based on browser notifications. There should be something in the settings to control which sites are allowed to send those.

• Informative x 1
  19. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Where did you get the redtext name? What told you that’s what it was called?

20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The popups themselves did, and I tried deleting it from the "allowed to send notifications" list in Chrome and that didn't work.

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice