Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

There was discussion about how you should use soap all over one's body... and I only lather/put it on the bits that get sweaty.

(I'm reasonably sure I don't smell bad, but I'm probably not the best judge? It probably makes sense to just cover my entire body in soap to be one the safe side, even if it is inconvenient.)

2. I only put soap on specific areas as well and I haven’t had anyone complain? If that’s reassuring?

3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

depends on your skin and environment. soap and detergent (e.g. shampoo) are hard on your skin to a varying degree. one of the reasons i look younger than i am (i’m 46 but people tend to guess thirtyish) is because i avoid using soap around my eyes basically ever. and yeah, usually when i shower i wash pits, back of neck (bc hair oil), nethers, and feet with body wash, and the rest with plain water. i don’t use astringent aftershave either, just a warm washcloth. drying out your skin ages it!

that said, if it’s been hot, or i’ve gotten dust or smoke or leaf crumbs etc on me, it’s good to have the full sudsy wash. particulates and dried sweat are even harder on the skin than soap.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I'd say if you have a vulva and vagina, avoid the body wash around those parts. It can really upset the natural pH balance and lead to such fun things as yeast infections. A washcloth and water will do.

5. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I generally wash all over but a) I have sensitive skin and dead skin buildup is hellish and b) I live in a hot humid climate. I also use a sensitive skin body wash and moisturize as soon as I hop out of the shower.

• Agree x 1
  6. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Seconding the ‘heinous climate makes me scrub with soap all over’, though when I lived somewhere where drowning in my own sweat wasn’t the norm, just scrubbing the key areas was enough.

7. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

yeah, you can probably get away with not soaping all over if you don't live in moist hell climate and don't have a skin condition - i have sensitive body skin, live in a hellclimate, and wear sunscreen on top of that, so using a soapy loaf + exfoliating once or twice a week + moisturizing is... kind of necessary.

ETA: oh, i also wear makeup regularly, so this includes the face - i use a facial soap and exfoliator and a whole skincare routune, obviously, but showering is a Ordeal

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  8. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

+1 to everyone saying you only need to wash the smelly bits regularly unless you're getting sweaty or grimy. my routine is hair with shampoo, face/neck/chest with face wash, and pits & nethers with soap or body wash-- everything else gets washed on an as-needed basis. just letting the hot soapy water run over the rest is sufficient, unless i've been out getting dirty or sweaty.

also, unless you live in a humid climate and you're moisturizing all over, this actually can be really bad for your skin. i can get away with using soap on my skin in the summer here, but in the winter even just hot water will just dry my skin out to the point it's painful.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

What I also tend to do when getting sweaty to the point where your skin is doing the thing with the dead cells coming off is use some sort of exfoliating scrub. It can really be as simple as oil and salt. Just don't forget to wash it off with soap afterwards or else you'll, well, be oily for a while.

10. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I have a coconut oil and sea salt scrub I use when I have really dry skin (I used to have a sugar scrub, which I preferred on smell, but this was a gift) and I actually just rinse off after that because then it means that the coconut oil is still being moisturizing.

11. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

That's also an option, but it should probably be noted that oil-based moisturizers (especially straight coconut oil) are comedogenic, so if you're prone to blackheads and clogged pores that could exacerbate it.

• Informative x 1
  12. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Depends on the oil. Coconut is very comedogenic, but stuff like shea butter has a lower rate. Olive oil's not that bad either, but then you smell like salad for the rest of your life.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

For me, I don't feel clean if I don't use soap? Plus my body wash smells good.

Usually I just wash my hair (shampoo optional but my hair pretty much breathes conditioner), pits, and groin area, (... and under my boobs sometimes bc ugh), and let the residue soap/shampoo/water + rub down do the rest. Every like. 3rd wash?, I scrub everything bc by then i probably need to get dead skin buildup off.
    I use a blackhead acne scrub on face, back of neck, and anywhere else that tends to break out every time tho

• Informative x 1
  14. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

Thanks everyone! I'm now a lot less worried that I'm showering wrong.

• Like x 1
  15. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Iiii only use soap on my body like... once every other week? other than that I just wash my hair, shampoo/conditioner that bitch. so I'm probably the extreme end of 'ehhh whatever', but i also literally never use moisturizer and people still compliment my skin smoothness so i'm guessing i'm just blessed by the ether with weirdly good skin.

• Like x 2
  16. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

hypersensory friendly blender recs? want make milkshake / smoothie, but noise is big for me (+ next door neighbor has a newborn)

17. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

immersion blender maybe?

• Useful x 1
  18. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

Did not even think of that! Thank c:

• Like x 1
  19. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

any glasses wearers able to help a brosis?

Every so often (not always, but often enough to annoy me), my glasses will start really hurting the backs of my ears with their stems, so much so that it becomes intolerable to wear them- but leaving them off for anything other than bed is not really an option, since I'm bat-blind without them. is there any way to mitigate this or protect my ears during these periods without having to leave them off for extended periods of time?

20. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

maybe pad them? or like...different style?

ETA: maybe lighter frames are a possible solution?

• Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice