Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I'm also very interested in the glasses question, because my solution was to switch entirely to contacts. I'm also very nearsighted and can't function well without corrective lenses. I may try some light frames. Worst case scenario, I have something I wouldn't wear unless it's an emergency, in case of emergency.

(Mobile phone cameras are not a solution to this problem, but they're a pretty good bandaid for little things. The phone camera is good for being able to see around a room, and the bright light from the flashlight function greatly improves my ability to find small things without my contacts, such as dropped pills, or my contacts.)

• Informative x 1
  2. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I used to have this problem with metal frames, but it lessened with plastic ones. Recently I switched back to metal, but an ultralight rimless frame, and this has been the happiest my ears have been since I was a kid.

Also possibly worth looking into adjusting the earpieces? I know it can be done but not much more than that.

• Informative x 2
    • Useful x 1
  3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

sounds like the earpieces are too short.

• Informative x 2
  4. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Maybe look for frames with longer arms or that have the earpieces sit at a better angle?

5. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

the frames are metal but all the part that comes in contact with my ears are coated in plastic. How would I pad the pieces? I recall trying to put some damp paper towel or kleenex behind my ears once but they wouldn't stay put, so I'm definitely open to hearing about a way that might work. The advice about the frames I'll try to recall, but I don't think I can afford a luxury like new frames right now when these glasses still function fine 80% of the time :B

6. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

Maybe optical places near you can open the earpieces up a bit? I remember when i was a kid and too big for my frames the store we would go to had a heating machine for this

• Informative x 1
  7. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I’m not sure how well it would work, but gluing cloth padding onto the plastic might be an option? Or just taping it to start, in the event that it chafes and you want to pull it off again.

8. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

9. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

definitely try getting the earpieces adjusted, usually optical places will do it for free. a lot of times when glasses hurt your ears it's because they're not fitting right. like others were saying, if you get them straightened out a bit it should take the pressure off the back of your ears.

i had a pair of glasses from Zenni Optical that fit perfectly and never hurt at all, and a couple years later i got a replacement pair of the exact same frames... and the second pair really hurt the back of my ears! i had to get them adjusted multiple times, but straightening out the bend a bit helped and now they are perfectly comfy.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  10. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I just kind of bend the arms out a tiny bit. I've had to do it with every major I have or I get a migraine.

When I say tiny bit, I mean just put a tiny bit of pressure against the hinges. Like a stretch not to bend. Might not be the best way to do it but eh

I got plastic frames for the first time and now I have the opposite problem.

Eta: my issue isn't that my ears hurt, it's that the arms dig into my soul a bit further back from my ears. Guess my head is wider than normal?
    Edit x2: skull, not soul, but that's a great autocorrect

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • Informative x 1
  11. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I sometimes just place the glasses on my nose at an angle if my ears need the relief. That way the arms are above the area where they usually sit.

Makes you look like a dork (or my dad, whichever) but it does work.

• Useful x 1
  12. afarewelltokings

afarewelltokings the internet's #1 Julia Child fan

i don't think this belongs in the low spoons food thread but how do i dispose of leftover flour that i used for frying something? it has dorito crumbs in it. alas, i cannot reuse it.

13. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

If it didn't touch meat and you plan on making the same thing again and there's no moisture clumps in it, there's no reason you can't save it for next time you make the same dish. Otherwise, I just... throw mine in the trash can? I hope I'm parsing what you're saying right.

• Agree x 3
  14. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

is it normal to feel mildly itchy after toweling down from a warm shower? I've always had some light itchiness on my arms and legs, but until now I never thought it might potentially be an abnormal thing...

(if it's helpful, I've never had any real skin issues or sensitivities, at least any I've been aware of, other than the average sunburn)

15. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

I experience that a fair amount. For me it seems to be dry skin- generally goes away if I put some lotion on.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  16. afarewelltokings

So if i'm applying for a credit card and live pretty much full time on campus, what do I put for rent/mortgage?

17. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Your dorm rates split up into what it'd be monthly.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  18. afarewelltokings

how do yall recommend reporting an elevator that hasn't been inspected in 2 years to the state

19. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

That's generally a job for the board of licensing, labor, and regulation and many states have an online form to report license issues with, so I'd Google "(your state) labor board" or "(your state) license issues" or something like that to start out with. If you don't get a form, you'll likely get a phone number.

• Useful x 1
  20. afarewelltokings

I’m back and I need more Advice(TM)

Some soup bubbled over and got inside the electric stove. A) that’s never happened before so idk why, and B) how do I get it out without killing myself or my partner in the process

• Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice