Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. Alexand

Alexand Rhymes with &

...Okay, when I first read these replies earlier I was busy feeling like the whole thing was pointless and there was nothing I could do to make my dad change my mind on anything ever. But, now that I've had a few days to calm down, I think I might be able to try bringing up the Insulin Argument after all, see if that works...thank you for the help, I appreciate the additional perspectives.

...On a different note my friend just got his driver's license a couple of days ago and tomorrow he needs to drive in rainy conditions for two hours. He hasn't driven in rainy conditions before. Anyone happen to have any driving tips? Also, how worried should he be about hydroplaning, because right now I feel like he's maybe more worried than he needs to be unless there's a legitimate high chance that he'll get into an accident if he doesn't worry hard enough, but I might just be saying that because I don't want him to stay up all night worrying about hydroplaning accidents. Even the word is scary. Hydroplaning. Geez.

2. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

Disclaimer: I'm not a super great driver, all of this is stuff I've learned from experience/ times when I've been a not great driver.
    If there's water puddling in the road, hydroplaning is a thing that can happen. If the pavement is just kinda wet but it's not pooling, it's not likely. Advice for avoiding hydroplaning/driving in any scary or unfamiliar conditions: go as slow as is reasonable for the road conditions without disrupting the flow of traffic (which varies depending on where you're driving. If there's a separate truck speed limit, that's a good guideline for how slow you can go without pissing anyone off too badly/creating a hazard. Going too slowly often causes other drivers to pass you in unsafe ways, so avoid that.) If hydroplaning happens, the important thing is to just keep the car going straight - don't overcorrect, don't slam on the brakes.
    Also, taking breaks is very important when driving in conditions that are more stressful than usual (take it from me, the person who's cried multiple times while driving in city traffic. don't be like me, take breaks whenever stress starts to build up).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    • Informative x 1
  3. My parents are sexist and we don't own a sewing machine. How do I learn to sew costumes in this situation?

4. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Local libraries and/or craft stores often have sewing or other fiber craft classes offered.

5. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Maker spaces. But yeah, libraries are fantastic resources. There are also Youtube tutorials? But I don't learn well from those because there's no haptic feedback.

6. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Hello it me, Soggy River Valley Georg
    Indigo's p much got you covered: slow waaaaaay the fuck down, especially if you're driving on an unfamiliar road. Even on a familiar road, you'll want to go a little slower than normal, just because braking will take a little longer than in clear conditions.
    A damp road isn't much like to make you hydroplane, but keep an eye out for puddles; if it's a short one nbd, but hydroplaning for more than a second or two increases your chances of losing control. If the water does take your wheels out from under you: foot off the gas but do not slam on the brakes, just do your best to keep the steering wheel straight until you're back on solid road.

If the road is flooded: do your best to find an alternate route. If you gotta go through and there's absolutely no way around, creep forward as slowly as possible. Do not bring your car any deeper than its undercarriage/half the height of your tires, especially if there's a current going-- even ignoring whatever water might do if it gets into all the car's workings, at that point your wheels aren't like to do you much good and you might end up carried off by the flow. Hydroplaning, But Ten Times Scarier! :P If the water's too deep to cross safely, please don't try to drive through it. Hopefully this won't be an issue wherever you're at, but hey, anecdata.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  7. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

The roads seem to be slightly more likely to be slippery right after the rain starts. I've heard that this is because the water is bringing all the oil residue to the surface but have not fact-checked this.

Does the car have anti-lock brakes? If so, drive slowly and allow extra time and space for braking if traction seems uncertain, but the car will do a better job than you can at preventing you from skidding. It can be scary because the brakes will engage and disengage rapidly, making it feel like you're slipping, but it's keeping the tires in contact with the road so you don't end up sliding out of control. Just let it do its thing and don't yank the wheel into any hard turns until you've regained traction.

If it doesn't have anti-lock brakes, I think you're supposed to pump the brakes rapidly yourself. I've never driven a car like that though, so I'm not sure what it's like in practice.

The vast majority of sliding issues I've experienced have involved ice and/or snow. Sometimes I've encountered mildly slippery roads with rain, but I haven't experienced any serious hydroplaning more than maybe once or twice.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

I don't live in a very rainy area, but I don't think I've ever hydroplaned. Rainy driving, as long as it's not downpour levels, is just more cautious normal driving, which, as a new driver, they're already going to be way more cautious than most. Stuff like hydroplaning is emphasized in drivers ed because they need to prepare you to make the best possible decision in the worst scenarios; not because you're necessarily going to use it often.

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  9. Be extra cautious when going downhill (when braking is harder to begin with) or when it's actively, heavily raining. But yeah, it's not going to happen often.

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

So I saw this, and I was wondering something and I figured if it had an answer, there are definitely some people here it could help:

I know Leechblock and similar extensions can be used to keep yourself off sites you know you shouldn't be looking at, but does anyone know of, say, a parental control app or something that people could have a friend set up so only the friend know the password, so it'd be harder to get around than Leechblock even if you're having a really bad episode of "no I absolutely have to look"?

11. I upgraded my iphone to the new version of ios and now it's showing me a bunch of options to do stuff with my apps at the bottom of the keyboard. how do I turn this off? I don't even use emoticons, I certainly don't wanna use my apps in text messages.

• Witnessed x 1
  12. luna

luna Active Member

Is strep throat a "get to the doctor asap" thing or "wait and see a week if it clears up" thing?

13. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

strep throat is a bacterial infection, not a virus (viruses are the ones your doctors want you to wait a week on), so if you think you have strep i would see a doctor

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  14. luna

luna Active Member

Thank you

• Like x 1
  15. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Also something I believe can be tested for and prescribed at a minuteclinic if you don't have much time to devote to illness-curing; I know for sure I got tested for strep at a minuteclinic once (tested negative so I didn't recieve any meds tho :P)

16. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

question: does anyone know of a good forum to host a text based rp on that isn't here? I have some friends who want to do one with me DMing, and the last time I brought my friends here one of them made an ass of herself all over kintsugi, to the point where I got two separate complaints about her from people who didn't know I knew her. I wish I could be certain that my friends would be respectful and stay in their fucking lanes, but I don't know for sure and don't want to make you guys deal with them if they can't.

17. The last time I tried running a campaign on a forum it crashed before th first session. Have you considered doing it over a chat server on discord or group Skype?

18. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I've used roll 20 for a couple of sessions, but that's not exactly a forum.

19. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

Discord works REALLY well for RPing, especially in a private server!

20. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I started an internet fight, I guess, and I wonder if this is a bad and I'm a bad and I did it wrong.
    war-in-time

Honestly so done with everyone’s shit, a new trailer comes out and naturally every person that ships reylo takes is as evidence that the ship will be canon.

why is everyone like this.

NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT SHIPS!!!!!!

Rouge one had basically no romantic subplots in it whatsoever, why do episodes 8-9 have to?!

instead of focusing on the fact that all the characters are getting clear development, almost everyone is throwing themselves at one part of the trailer that obviously isn’t even the same scene.

seriously you lot need to get you’re shit together.

also if you are posting about a ship, keep it in the ships tag and that one alone.

[​IMG]smallishdoggo
    how about blacklist the reylo tag instead of asking strangers who have no reason to do anything for you to modify their behavior? Like, not to sound combative here, but hows about do the thing that’ll actually get reylo content out of your sight instead of demanding other people curate your tumblr experience for you. Especially right after basically calling them idiots for… getting excited about how two characters whose relationship they’re interested in,,, are gonna interact,,,, and like be important to each other,,,,

maybe,,, chill the fuck out and let other people have their fun?

it's fairly mild I think, but also.

• Witnessed x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice