Super General Advice (the thread for advice without making a thread)

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by NevermorePoe, May 8, 2017.

1. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I had this with my first pair of glasses as a kid, and my solution was also just to get different glasses. I’ve never had any irritation from my solid plastic frames.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  2. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I'm gonna second all the glasses advice, with the extra idea that it might be worth giving the glasses a good wash with soap and warm water, paying extra attention to totally scrubbing out the pads. It's possible you're reacting to something that's built up on the pads and not the pads themselves.

• Agree x 3
    • Useful x 1
  3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Fourthing or whatever the suggestion to get different glasses. Plastic frames might be better for you?

• Agree x 1
  4. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

If you can get by with a slightly worse eyesight, switch to contact lenses for a few days to let your skin heal. Soft day lenses (they're marketed under "gel lens" here) are good if you've never worn them before. Also seconding the disinfect/replace the pads, and wash the frames.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  5. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

This is good advice, but I'd like to give the caveat that contact lenses can be very tricky to get in--I've never been able to do it at all. It's still very much worth a try though!

• Agree x 1
  6. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

What's the best way to indicate in a resume that you had to leave (temporarily or otherwise) a job or volunteer position due to that position not existing anymore due to COVID?

7. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

tbh i would just write it like that? 'due to pandemic, i could not continue working as [position]' should be something plenty of people will have in their resume one way or the other now

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  8. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

My main concern is that the short span of time worked will hurt my chances before anyone even bothers to read the explanation (since I started my job in October and lost it in March). Hopefully that won't be the case, but it's annoying to not know how much of whether I get a job is determined by an actual human who reads the whole thing or not.

• Witnessed x 4
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Are there any types of herbivorous/omnivorous house-pet which aren't rodents? I've had rats before and they chewed up everything, so I don't think my landlords would want me to have things which gnaw again. Cats and dogs are off-limits and they're being a pain about ferrets, I think they'll be less weird about plant-eating animals.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  10. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Rabbits.

• Agree x 1
  11. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I know people who are really enthusiastic about guinea pigs

• Agree x 2
  12. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Snails (no I'm serious, I have GALs and they're adorable tho you'd have to check what's legal where you are)

• Agree x 3
  13. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

house rabbits will also chew up everything.

• Agree x 3
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Technically they're not rodents, but yeah, rabbits and guinea pigs'll chew, probably worse than the rats did. Also I have a phobia of molluscs, so, sorry, the snails are out. Bother.

• Witnessed x 1
  15. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Turtles?

• Agree x 2
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'll look into them!

• Like x 2
  17. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

House pigeon? (obligate granivore, can pretty much only digest seeds, and is physically incapable of chewing up everything)

18. Some pet categories I recommend looking through:

-rodents (probably not a good option for you, considering the chewing issue)
    -reptiles (generally known for being clean)
    -amphibians (I really don’t know much about keeping these as pets)
    -fish (can’t cuddle with them but they won’t make messes outside their tanks)
    -birds (can be loud and stinky, but they live a long time)

19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Reptiles might be my best option - I definitely won't be allowed anything noisy because I'm in a flat, that's already in the rules. My preferred option is still a ferret but if I get a hard no on that I either have to look for another option (and, as I said, they'll likely be less weird about herbivores or at least assume they stink less) or put in for a location transfer, which is... a lot of effort. Thanks, everyone! I'll go do some research.

• Like x 2
  20. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Parrots and canaries are noisy, but house chickens (hens only) and pigeons aren't - a lot of resources treat "bird" like a synonym for "parrot".

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice