Take Me Out To The Blall Game- A Blaseball Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Jemmy, Sep 15, 2020.

1. CRCR

CRCR Human Expresso

Well, the black hole has just nullified the Philly Pies.

• Like x 1
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

And now that the Coin's melted, coins are gone.

RIV the 66k I was going to turn into votes and fuel for other players when I got out of work, I now have very few snacks and no votes to apply to either. Thank goodness for the honorary pods who've been collecting peanuts all this time.

• Agree x 1
  3. CRCR

CRCR Human Expresso

And now Blaseball has... completed its beta? I don't know how diegetic they're being with this announcement. I think on some level they're talking about Blaseball the video game, but if we're going out of beta into 1.0, are we just going to pick the plot back up, or?

Edit: Checked the Blaseball Discord and there's this annoucement/explanation:

And that’s a wrap! Thank you to @everyone who made the Expansion Era possible and enjoyed it with us on the server. Before we enter Siesta, The Game Band wanted to pull back the curtain on the cliffhanger and give context for where Blaseball is heading.

With the Expansion Era, we wanted to tell a story of expansion and excess, the potential harm that comes from slapping new system upon new system onto something built to be unfair— the story of who benefits from that confusion and challenge. That said and story told, if we continued to pile on more features like we have been, Blaseball would become impenetrable to new and old players alike.

If we want Blaseball to grow, and we do, we need a blank slate. The Expansion Era and this story will allow us to do that— re-build Blaseball. The Expansion Era was a rare opportunity to stack mechanic after mechanic into the game in a way that drove both the narrative and our understanding of what appeals to Blaseball’s audience, and now it is time for something new to be built from the lessons of our year together.

Blaseball will return, as will the 24 teams on the Discord. They are not gone forever; they'll play Blaseball again. When we return, it will be with a more refined Blaseball formed from beloved mechanics and lessons from the past year. We want to pull from what worked and learn from what didn’t to make a more accessible experience. We hope to involve you in the process wherever possible. We are now in Siesta, and we hope to let you know when that Siesta will end as soon as we have that timeline.

This past year has been a wild, chaotic experiment full of great successes and many lessons learned. It’s been an unexpected and wonderful surprise to have so many people invested in the shape Blaseball will take. Thank you for playing. As we head into Siesta, we want everyone to rest easy knowing that this cliffhanger will not erase the energy put into your community. This is not the end; it is just the beginning.​

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  4. swirlingflight

Psssst

Hey
    Been thinking about Blaseball? Overwhelmed by the lore and complex mechanics?

Well
    Tomorrow, 18 hours from now, starts the first Short Circuit

2 season mini bursts of gameplay with fresh unlored characters, simplified rules, and so far a lot of electronics puns

They're intended as a mix of easier start experience and testing grounds for what rules will be sticking around

• Like x 1
  5. CRCR

CRCR Human Expresso

Congrats on the Ohio Worms for becoming besties with the Giant Peanut. The Magic managed to get Fist of the Ape God sending Giannis Manning's pitching stlats into the sky, so that's good!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  6. swirlingflight

Frozen Sea playoffs are now Very Contested

• Like x 1
  7. swirlingflight

Modern Liver managed a homerun on Giannis, Crabs Good?

• Like x 2
  8. swirlingflight

Moist Talkers narrowly defeat the Houston Spies in the 5th game of the short circuit 2 finals!

Fun and thematic in a few ways, this circuit's sponsor Caves of Qud has a whole Thing about water as a valuable resource, making moisture important, and next circuit's going to be in-universe hosted by a yellow entity [REDACTED], which... redaction is part of the Spies' whole thing.

• Like x 2
  9. swirlingflight

Tomorrow comes the playoffs for the 3rd and final Short Circuit! Yellowstone Magic just barely made it in :D

Turns out [Redacted] ended up being the Monitor, aka Binky aka Giant Squid! This circuit has been full of Features (bugs, but we're not calling them bugs this time), some intentional and some very surprising to the folks running in... There was supposed to be a mid-circuit "fiesta", aka playoffs of the worst teams, last weekend. But, unfortunately, the sim glitched on sorting which teams would play which that in one round there 2 versions each of 3 games running simultaneously, with some weather events in the pairs impacting one another. And then the sim glitched up the teams so badly that it was about to set a few teams to play against themselves! Apparently this has been tried before and always went badly, so the umps pulled the plug on the whole thing, and narratively waved it off as Binky's neighbors calling in a noise complaint and shutting down the party.

Oh, and the Spies won 3/4 of the blood blessings for Strike blood, because that's just what Spies do... they strike.

• Like x 1
  10. swirlingflight

The Breath Mints.

• Agree x 1
  11. swirlingflight

Coin-centric video of major events of the Expansion Era by Olive of the Beams, features a lot of characters briefly (with a lot of Magic references)

• Like x 1
  12. swirlingflight

Hey, guess what! Blaseball's back!

Which is more to say, Blaseball's been restarted in terms of new UI, new stats, new flavor text about the plays, new fields, and totally rearranged teams on new divisions.

I mean, the teams are the same 24 teams (in terms of icon and name, mostly, with some tweaks).

But all the various team and player modifiers are gone, the players' stars are all refreshed to the new stats, and the players themselves have been completely shuffled across the league - and not all of them have shown up. Since all of Blaseball got eaten by the black hole and players have been spat out at random over the last several weeks to form the new versions of the teams, with a mix of familiar and new names.

The site and game are definitely still in a growing pains stage of thing, unexpected bugs causing delays and minor issues. The UI is honestly rougher than it used to be, with some of the functional features gone and bizarre accessibility things like the 3 and 8 characters being upside down.

The plot's continuing off from where it was left off, Blaseball slowly emerging from the black hole. There's going to be different weather eventually (right now all weather is Horizon, a weather in which occasionally a player is burped up from the black hole, sometimes wandering off and other times knocking a player from one of the teams they fall into).

Magic's currently holding steady at 8-8, classically uppy downy, in the division of Chaotic Evil with the Fridays, Wild Wings, Garages, Worms, and Lift. The Wild Wings are performing frighteningly well at 15-1, and over in Awful Evil the poor Firefighters are at 1-15 so far...

• Like x 1
  13. swirlingflight

Recent Magic-centric Blaseball news:

Inky Rutledge has gone on to the Hall of Flame, incinerated by a/the Rogue Umpire recently, alas.

Because of course the election offered another chance to open the Forbidden Book, and of course a mix of old fans and new curious about the chaos voted for it with a 60+%

There's now four types of Umpires, and they're demanding that there's a Power Vaccuum in Blaseball since we melted the Coin so we need to pick one of them to be in charge going forward (for some amount of time, prob not indefinitely?)

In what could be TTRPG punnery or could be illegal Homestuck references, they are respectively the:
    • Rogue Umpire (incinerates as ever - possibly a backstab situation?)
    • Knight Umpire (sometimes swears players IN to go on quests, making them night shift with a shadow player, and sometimes swears AT players and makes them side quest?)
    • Mage Umpire (alternates players, mixing their stats around. transformation?)
    • Bard Umpire (curses at players so they "cannot lose" - they switch teams whenever the one they're on is about to lose)
    All of these umpires sometimes instead rule in favor of the player they're targeting, giving them a small stats boost. So far it SEEMS like they do that to the players on teams that went to the four respective corners of the map, back in the end of the Expansion Era when the black hole expanded
    (...wait. is that why it was called the Expansion Era? this game is made of puns, lol)

In more enthusiastic Magic news

MAGIC

GOO

SEMI FINALS, TOMORROW! Facing the Fridays - we think! If the bracket gets shuffled around, our other potential competitors are the Flowers or the Sunbeams

Beams were #1 league-wide, and Magic was #2! >:)c

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice