Talk to Me Like a Small Child - What's This Homestuck Thing?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by rigorist, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

( psst. If you get bored silly and cant be assed to continue, skip straight to act five. You'll probably want to go back and reread, but dont give up on homestuck without at least giving the trolls a look)

2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

yeah, everyone says "don't skip to act 5!" but tbh if you were gonna quit anyway go ahead and do it, the first four acts really are kind of boring, and the plot nuggets seeded thru them only feel important once you've read the later stuff. i found the funny dialogue sufficient to keep me reading, but i would not blame you if you don't.

• Like x 1
  3. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Made it through 2. Doing 3. I am growing weary of the inside jokes about shitty gaming systems.

• Like x 2
  4. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Dear M. Hussie:

I played Colossal Cave on a PDP-11 using a DECWriter. Your complaints about game inventory systems are noted. Now get the fuck off my lawn.

s/ the-rigs

• Like x 8
  5. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

Stay on until act five, I promise. I had the same feeling.

Or - youtube Homestuck reading. It should take less time if a guy narrates it for you. I got to act 6 the usual way, but I have been watching the videos to sort of go over what I missed before because there was a lot of clicking to just get to the interesting parts already.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    • Like x 1
  6. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Fucking time travel.

I fucking HATE time travel.

• Like x 4
  7. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Then do I have some bad news for you.

• Like x 6
  8. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

So does Hearts Boxcars

• Like x 3
  9. AbsenteeLandlady123

AbsenteeLandlady123 Chronically screaming

I always get super excited when people I like start paying attention to things that I like :D

• Like x 3
  10. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

I get the feeling the author also hates time travel and is making this as convoluted as possible as an exercise in mockery. With that in mind, I'm willing to work through the thing.

I still fucking hate time travel, though.

• Like x 5
  11. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

I've read through the intermission probably 6 or 7 times and I still don't fully understand the time shenanigans, though on my last read through I felt I was just on the cusp of grasping it. Maybe I'm just stupid. Anyways, you don't have to get what happens with time in the intermission to understand the rest of the plot.

12. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Yeah, the time travel in the intermission follows different rules from the rest of the comic's Weird Time Shit, IIRC.

13. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I've never really understood the time shenanigans of the intermission. I honestly just kind of read along, being amused by the Problem Sleuth-esque madness and then it ends and I'm like "Well that made no fucking sense but whatever". Then again I've never had much of a mind for time travel and I honestly don't try to think too hard on it. Stupid fanfic is probably the first time I've ever decided to go "You know what I need to do. Think about how time in Homestuck works. AND THEN DO THAT FOR ROMANCE."

• Like x 2
  14. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

It helps set the tone for how time travel fits into the narrative:
    It depicts the futility of trying to change anything in Paradox Space when operating within its rules, because cause and effect are fucked up in tangled self-creating knots.

15. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i just didn't even try to understand the intermission. basically what i took away from it is "pool ball guys have weird powers the end"

16. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

While I'm complaining about stuff, I want to make clear that Hussie has done a fucking incredible job of presenting really complicated literary concepts. For example, he effortlessly has me treating/believing the human characters are "real" when they are obviously living in a cheesy Flash game universe. They are no more "real" than the sburbs game they are playing.

Reality? Hyper-reality? Shit, kids--that's straight up Baudrillard. Y'all are learning serious-ass Theory when you read Homestuck AND LIKING IT.

• Like x 8
  17. Fish butt

Fish butt Everything is coming together, slowly but surely.

@rigorist fun story, homestuck was required reading at my university - we used it to explore alternative narrative structures, with a little bit of interaction theory thrown into it for fun.

• Like x 8
  18. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

sorry - one of my shift keys has died and i don't feel like fixing it just yet. apologies for the non-caps post.

anyway, the time-travel stuff feels over the top right now when he has so much else going on with questions about 'what is reality?' i get that time-travel is an over-used trope in bad f/sf and games, but he doesn't seem to have a new take on it. he's just over-using it to make fun of it. it seems a bit like his running joke about crappy inventory systems in games--it is kind of funny, but distracts from his more interesting (to me, at least) extended exploration of 'what the fuck is this reality you're talking about?'

• Like x 4
  19. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

if i still smoked weed, homestuck is something that would make me go ' whooooaaaaa . . . . dude ......'

• Like x 3
  20. lvkz

lvkz Well-Known Karkat

i am loving this let's read pls continue commentating

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice