Terrible original/published fiction?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by ChelG, Dec 20, 2016.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Y'know, according to some accounts William the Conqueror got so fat it indirectly led to his death from being unable to stay on a horse because he went on an all-alcohol diet on the same logic that "drinks aren't food" that this book displays.

• Witnessed x 2
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

This isn't necessarily terrible writing, but it's a gripe; I wish writers wouldn't think that the entire hundred years of the Victorian period were static. If Jack the Ripper's running around, disinfectant has been in use and female doctors have existed for twenty years already. Even if they weren't, it's very annoying when the author soapboxes.

• Agree x 2
  3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Mysteries where the answer is painfully obvious are frustrating in a special way.

• Agree x 2
  4. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

• Agree x 4
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Bwahahaha. I remember that one!

• Winner x 2
  6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Bad guy in a non-cartoony work naming his horse "Black Plague" seems just a touch over the top.

7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

This is my new favourite ridiculous RPG.

• Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Tried to read Ana Mardoll's "Pulchritude" and I just cannot deal with how horrible all these characters are. Not a single one of them doesn't spend at least a couple sentences every time they're onscreen looking down their nose at and sniping at each other, and they sneer at everything offered to them. If the fictional world isn't good enough for the characters, why is it supposed to be good enough for the readers?

9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Oh. My. God.

• Informative x 1
  10. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

The way I learned about that book was from an old podcast, where Sydnee McElroy (of Sawbones) gets drunk and then explains the absolutely insane plot to her husband. It's two hours across three episodes and it's amazing.

• Winner x 2
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

From a book I found this week; this might not be the writer's fault if she's not a Simpsons fan, but applying the name "Cletus" to the character implied to be neurodivergent feels just a touch dubious.

12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Bad idea; having a character named Sheena who consistently abbreviates the name to "She" in a story about lesbians. Way to make the Pronoun Problem even worse.

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  13. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Why would you have a character abbreviate her name to a pronoun, period? 0_0

• Agree x 2
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I have no idea.

• Agree x 1
  15. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Some authors love shortening names that absolutely don't need to be shortened, like they're worried that a character will burst into flames if all two syllables of their first name are said out loud.

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
  16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Oh dear.

• Witnessed x 3
    • Informative x 1
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

One chapter into that book and I'm already wondering why no one in the editing process pointed out the problem with naming two of the villains Failee and Succiu.

• Witnessed x 1
  18. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

My local library doesnt have that series and I have some amazon gift cards left....unless someone knows a safe place to read it for free, because I am kind of macabrely interested in reading at least the first book XD

19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Okay, reading Kippurbird's sporking and most of it so far is fairly standard terrible fantasy, but then we run into the way the sorceresses keep their slaves under control...

20. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

Lol I remember that bit. Almost forgot, what with all the other stuff. That book is so weird. I tried getting it through my library but they didn't have it, so I bought it. Hopefully the author has simmered down in the 15 or so years it's been since he published those books.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice