Terrible original/published fiction?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by ChelG, Dec 20, 2016.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Intense hatred for the apparent plethora of urban fantasy books which spend more wordcount on the heroine's jean size and menstrual cycle than on the actual interesting parts.

• Witnessed x 1
  2. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

Is it just general period bitching because she has to be edgy and pms or like

Idk her werewolf bf sniffing the air like "we shouldn't fuck tonight, you're ovulating"

3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

General period bitching.

4. bornofthesea670

That's unfortunate.

5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Description of some of the reasoning behind excessive gratuitous sex and rape scenes in fiction:

6. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Oh my God, pretentious YA:
    PUT DOWN THE THESAURUS

• Agree x 3
  7. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

I have to admit that I'm prone to purple prose myself, but holy shit this reads like some kid who was never taught three-syllable words organically and now thinks they're a short route to sounding smart XD

• Agree x 3
  8. bornofthesea670

"Center of town" and "lonesome" are an odd choice.

• Agree x 2
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

As is "lonesome terraced house" - how is it lonesome if it's stuck to other houses? Good point, I was distracted by "civil parish of dwarf population". It took me about five minutes to figure out they weren't talking about a population of Tolkienesque dwarves, they were just too pretentious to say "village" or even "small population".

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I also thought they meant actual dwarves...

• Agree x 3
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you look up the wrong sense of a word in the thesaurus. See The Eye of Argon and the part where Grignr descends a staircase to its posterior.

• Agree x 2
  12. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Does anyone else get those weirdass ads on YouTube that are like for some God awful supernatural bodice ripper thing? They're all like 'my name is Luna half moon and I'm horribly abused as the bitch of my pack' and 'my fated mate thinks I'm garbage'?

Like I haven't given into morbid curiosity yet and clicked anything but the skip button, mostly because it all sounds so fucking depressing?? Why does YT seem to think I like DOMESTIC ABUSE in my werewuff novel, jesus tiddyfucking christ on a penny farthing. Also?? They're like in HS??

why

Just

Why.

• Witnessed x 3
  13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Ew. Yes, those cropped up on my phone games all the time for a while.

• Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Not on Youtube, but I do occasionally get them when playing mobile games. The weirdest part to me is that the ads are for whole platforms that allegedly host lots of stories, but the story they quote in the ad always seems to be miserable het femsub a/b/o. The ads for romance comic platforms have a much wider spread of story types, so like, what even?

• Agree x 2
  15. bornofthesea670

I downloaded one or two of them and while it isn't very good quality, it reminded me of the angsty-with-a-happy-ending stuff me and other people my age wrote on ff.net when i was younger. It was fun and nostalgic. I try not to take anything too seriously with regards to questionable content. I see it as one of those "let's make a character miserable and then make them happy" kind of situations. But i still have fond memories of my ancient cringy stories, lol.

• Informative x 2
  16. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I have no problems with the existence of miserable angst het femsub a/b/o, it's just extremely weird to me that it's what these platforms put in their ads every single time. As a person not privy to their ad data, what I would assume is that they need an excerpt that's extremely tropey to make the genre clear (popcorn romance/erotica) and has a big emotional hook to make people want to see what happens next. "My destined mate hates me! ;_;" does meet that qualification, but so do plenty of other story types, and yet I've never seen one of these ads that's even using, like, arranged marriage drama, or "I went to work for this hot rich guy but he has some sort of mysterious secret!" or even just het femsub a/b/o with the classic bodice ripper dynamic where the excerpt focuses on a male character being pushy-flirty and the female lead is going, "I was so scared and uncomfortable but it was also super sexy." It always seems to be "main character is abjectly miserable," and not an excerpt that gives any hint about whether this is the kind of story where that's going to stop or not. And of course there's a readership for that, but I feel like they might get more takers if there was some variation!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Aargh. Self-published thing with random misplaced commas. I hate those. Every one is like a tiny speed bump.

• Witnessed x 5
  18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Maybe this is a silly gripe, but stories set in America but written in extremely British idiom when none of the characters are British are aggravating. Just set it in England, FFS.

• Agree x 3
  19. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

The tradition of the britpicker/ whatever you call the other national equivalents really seems to have died out in both fandom and published fiction.

• Agree x 3
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

An old acquaintance's comment on one fanfic comes to mind: "The characters are the most American-sounding British people I've ever seen, except for the actual American character who is the most British-sounding American I've ever seen."

• Witnessed x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice