Terrible original/published fiction?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by ChelG, Dec 20, 2016.

1. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

Yeah, I knew the 'three years to get from LEO to the moon' was super weird (how do you even do that?!), and was also thinking that shattering the moon wouldn't make it fall, so much as turn it into a ring system.

• Agree x 2
  2. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Well, shattering the moon would presumably cause some fragments to fall down to the Earth and cause pretty similar effects to what's described, but then yeah, you'd end up with rings, and eventually a new moon. Though maybe not on the time scale of the book?

• Agree x 1
  3. palindromordnilap

... So, the whole text basically reads like a thesaurus achieved near-sapience, but this is the first sentence and... I have no idea what "parallax" is supposed to mean here.

• Agree x 3
  4. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

latest.png
    ?

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. LadyNighteyes

(More seriously, apparently besides the astronomical use that I was vaguely familiar with and the giant yellow space bug from Green Lantern, it more generally means "something looking like it's in a different place because it's being observed from a different angle." So I guess using it there is an incredibly pretentious way of saying "subject to differences in interpretation"?)

• Informative x 2
  6. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I’m thinking of parallax in video games where it’s pretty much parallel but separately moving planes at different depths.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Now I'm thinking of Dragons: Lexicon Triumvirate.

• Witnessed x 5
  8. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

* Meenah disgust face *

• Agree x 5
  9. LadyNighteyes

That's barely a step up from the Eye of Argon.

10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Try Barbara Walker's Amazon:
    Can we at least have a standard of using the correct unnecessarily Urple word? "Omphalos" means navel.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    • Witnessed x 7
  11. LadyNighteyes

Hey, don't kinkshame her belly button fetish!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

This is kinda making me wanna do a meta fanfic where someone (the Amporae spring to mind) writes a fanfic/friendfic, to use a quote from an Eye of Argon review, "with a new thesaurus and no dictionary".

• Like x 4
  13. palindromordnilap

Well, technically, an omphalos is also a stone object symbolizing the center, or "navel", of the world.

• Informative x 1
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Still, not much of a simile for a clit.

15. palindromordnilap

... Wow, I had somehow completely failed to parse that. My brain kinda fails hard when given too urple input.

16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I can see why, I think that was the most pretentious way she possibly could have said it.

• Agree x 3
  17. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

I thought it was a weird simile for "urn" until she started going on about goddess pillars. Not that calling her character's genitals an urn would make much more sense or be any less pretentious.

• Agree x 2
  18. LadyNighteyes

1) I feel like this conversation should probably go under NSFW cuts at some point, and
    2)
    Technically there's nothing in that quote that indicates it's not a sacred dildo she carries around just in case she needs it. :::PPP

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Context indicated it wasn't supposed to be, but yep, that's a point. How NSFW is something if nobody can tell what the hell is going on in it?

• Agree x 2
  20. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

oooh baby jam it in my amphora

(that autocorrected to 'armpits', jsyk)

• Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice