TFs: DARE TO BE STUPID

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by itsAlana, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Lacuna of Devisiun

Lacuna of Devisiun the quiet one (18+)

[​IMG]

• Like x 5
  2. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Spockandawe's sparktype is: isomeric-negative
    Spock's sparktype is: isomeric-positive

...I'm getting mixed messages here

(but ooh, Allison [middle name] and Allison [last name] both make me a point one percenter!)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    • Like x 4
  3. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

isomeric-vascillating?

• Like x 5
  4. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

So has anyone else gotten very confused Optimus hating anons in their inboxes?
    [​IMG]
    My response.

• Like x 7
  5. Allenna

Fun fact Isomeric-Negative is the what Tailgate and Cyclonus have! Unknown Shared Type is Fort Max and First Aid!

• Like x 3
  6. spockandawe

Eugh :excalibur:

I haven't gotten anything like this recently, but this sounds an awful lot like the person who left an obnoxious comment on my Optimus/Prowl fic a few weeks back

• Like x 1
  7. Allenna

I think they were reacting to some au version of this little snippet I wrote:
    I think they've also commented on a Optimus/Megatron fic of me and @meowtini on the rocks

• Like x 5
  8. mizushimo

mizushimo the greatest hits

@PRelations I really dig the idea that there are vast but subtle differences between those born before and during the war. Society was so different, they went from no death unless you stepped out of line, to generations of bots built to be canon fodder. I can almost guarantee that the bots who were built for specific battles were expected to die during them. I think getaway even said as much at one point.

The warborn would have had to be quick thinking, self centered and impulsive just to make it out of their birth battle alive. For some, their first experiences as a sentient being were having to fight for their lives in a war zone, that kind of thing leaves a mark on a newborn psyche.

• Like x 7
  9. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Do you think any of the NAILs might still harbor Functionist tendencies? They left to avoid the war, but neither the Decepticons nor the Autobots really stood for Functionism at the time of the exodus.

• Like x 3
  10. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I assume it's probable that at least SOME of them continue to be Functionists because it's just... more likely than that none of them do? Conservative Bigots crop up in a lot of groups, it wouldn't be a surprise to see hardliner functionalists among the NAILs is what I'm saying

• Like x 3
  11. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I thiiiink? That in the exRID/Windblade canon, NAILs are specifically Cybertronian and colonists are just called colonists (or, notably, 'aliens') so I imagine all NAILs are going to have some degree of Functionalist rhetoric absorbed. I don't think we ever really see it crop up in canon, but I wouldn't be surprised if a great deal of the hostility is a mix of "you guys broke our planet" and "what do you mean I'm not better than this guy under the new government have you SEEN his alt-form?"

That said, I imagine it's harder to be a hardline functionist when you're on a crew of 200 of a bunch of different mechs with different alt-modes. Given 4 millions years, you'd end up softening on some of the rhetoric just by virtue of rubbing elbows with the lesser folks.

• Like x 3
  12. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Loq: Point One Percenter
    [real name]: Unknown Shared type
    Congessi: Ferrum-positive
    Requiem: Ferrum-positive
    Silverburst: Point One Percenter
    Cogwheels: Isomeric-Positive
    Venorox: Unknown Shared type

• Like x 2
  13. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

Mirrors 's sparktype is: Vitreous-Positive
    [real name redacted] 's sparktype is: Isomeric-Negative
    Jetski 's sparktype is: Ferrum-Negative
    Pollux 's sparktype is: Vitreous-Negative

• Like x 2
  14. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

keeps this here for posterity should it turn out to be relevant

• Like x 3
  15. mizushimo

The nails just spent 4 million years outside of cybertron's society, I think they've returned with all kinds of religious/philosophical beliefs that were picked up over that huge span of time. They could have developed their own distinct culture of a bunch of them settled in the same area.

The only example I can really think of on earth where an entire culture was banished from their homeland, then returned generations later was the Jewish exodus to Israel after world War 2. That time period is actually a decent parallel for the shenanigans on Cybertron (lets hope things don't devolve into another nasty civil war.

The expats are going to want to revive their culture. There's going to be people with very strong ideas of how Cybertron should be restored, and likeminded robots will gather around them. I'm not clear on the difference between the Senate and the functionalists, I thought they were on charge of the old senate? Right now, there's no clear doctrine to follow, that's why things are so rocky and uncertain. There's definitely going to be CybertronIan's who want to go back to the old caste system. Even though it was oppressive, it was a nice and simple way to organize society. Everybody knew where they belonged and what they were supposed to do, as opposed to the chaos and confusion of life during the war.

• Like x 2
  16. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

The old Senate was pretty Functionist in practice, even if there were a number of senators who were not Functionist as individuals. The big names in the Senate, Proteus, Sentinel, were definitely Functionist in outlook. I am not sure if Nominus was Functionist, but as a post-Nova Prime he probably was.
    The Functionist Council was a behind-the-scenes group, powerful but not overt. They steered a lot of what the Senate did.

Timeline-wise, recall that Functionism was losing support when Orion Pax was in Alyon, even before the Decepticon movement took off.

• Like x 4
  17. mizushimo

Do we know what the society was like before the functionalists took over? I'm guessing that it was leaning in that direction anyway, it's hard to get away from the idea that the hand of Primus literally made each one of them to serve a specific purpose. I know that both the Autobots and the Decepticons wanted the functionists out of power, but I don't know what they were going to replace it with (idk, did Megatron just want to replace the whole government with himself?).

On an unrelated note: Cyclonus, please tell us more about your religious beliefs. It's nice that we know about the functionalists, but I want more. *grabby hands*

• Like x 3
  18. coldstars

coldstars get Jazzy on it

I'd imagine you're more likely to come across a hardcore oldschool Functionist-minded dude leftover among the NAILs than on either side of the war at this point - some snobby old guy who used to have a lot of power and political connections leaving to wait out the war in comfort as a neutral, only to return and find everything's gone entirely to shit, everyone's altmode is part gun, his money means nothing and the points don't matter, so he decides to conquer the world/blow it up to fix it better until he gets his way in an epic tantrum

Judging by the fact that in the alt timeline Functionism absolutely explodes into such an incredibly toxic system without Megatron to inspire the Decepticons and kick off the civil war, I'd guess the Functionist council would have responded to that dwindling support in the populace with massive crackdowns while they still had the Senatorial weight to pull it off, leading to the bad end offshoot where everything is Terribawful and you can hate Functionism as much as you want - you'll just lose your face for saying it. Or thinking it too loud. Or -

• Like x 5
  19. applechime

applechime "well, you know, a very — a very crunchy person."

@spockandawe i keep re-reading your impactor/springer thing and.

i forgot what i was going to say as i wrote this post, because i got distracted and read the thing again and i feel like that communicates my point better than anything else i could come up with

anyway

you're the best

• Like x 3
  20. spockandawe

Ahhhh, I'm so glad you like it!! My favorite thing is characters who come in slantwise at their self-destructive self-flagellation, and it slipped so perfectly into Springer's character that the fic came out just how I was hoping, and was super easy to work on, despite my awful writing block. I'm really pleased with that story, so it's great to hear you enjoy it too!!! :DDD

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice