TFs: DARE TO BE STUPID

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by itsAlana, Aug 28, 2015.

1. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

I mean, looking at him.... it's not too much of a stretch.

[​IMG]

even with a retrieval cord

• Like x 5
  2. spockandawe

Thanks, but I should be good! I just need a series of sleazy politicians to blow through the plot, so it might not be something you want your ocs attached to :P Now that I've got the giant list o'names, I'm remixing pieces of them into totally new characters, they're super distinct and well-developed, honest :V (funny enough, the only one who's made it into the story thus far is skybreaker. i was stuck on 'star' names, but I kept getting stuck circling star....burst. star...........fire. star....................scream until I finally gave it up in frustration)

• Like x 4
  3. coldstars

coldstars get Jazzy on it

[​IMG]

• Like x 3
  4. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

(I feel like Moonshot would make a good name for a lunabot, what say you?)

• Like x 1
  5. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

• Like x 3
  6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Does canon tell us how transformers get their names in IDW? It doesn´t seem like they pick them (See Whirl and Rung) but how does?

7. Petra

Petra space case

Spock, all your meta is so good. I want to rub it on my face like something with a good texture. Sorry if that's a weird compliment.

• Like x 3
  8. spockandawe

It seems to be inborn! Megatron is the big example there, Chaos Theory has people trying to get his name wrong ('you said it was megaton, right?), but he's very definite that his name is Megatron. Since Megatronus was the name of one of the original Thirteen, but his name has been stricken from the record, this doesn't seem likely to occur via any deliberate input.

That being said, there's weird stuff about like, all the good names being taken. Which implies some degree of conscious choice, if it was totally random, you'd think there'd be more frequent overlap. And we see characters like Rodimus and not-that-Prowl changing their names at some point. But you've also got Genos/Brainstorm and Tumbler/Chromedome where they universally go by a nickname, but their name-name hasn't changed.

Mostly I think it's just rule of cool :P The inborn name-knowing thing is easiest to roll with, story-wise, with a pinch of handwaveium for how it works or why there's so rarely name overlap.

Not weird at all!! :D This is an excellent compliment, textures you want to rub on your face are the BEST kind of textures (I have literally been rubbing velvet on my face for the last few weeks, so this post made me smile extra big)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    • Like x 6
  9. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

maybe the sparks are all, like, subconsciously mentally synched up before they get bodies and that makes it so they know, subconsciously, what every other spark (or every other one from a particular batch or hotspot) is called and use that to make sure that each name - usually - isn't claimed by more than one person. with a small margin of error to account for when name overlap does happen in canon.

does that make any sense?

• Like x 2
  10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

As someone with an unusual first name I had to correct peoples spelling and pronunciation for endlessly, find the last part a much more likely tbh. by the time i got sick enough of my name to change it, i´d been through a lot of very firmly informing people of what my damn name was.

I wonder if the Not-That-Prowl might be from there being common and less common names kinda like altmodes? Possibly names a part of programming that is predetermine like and altmode, and also not entirely unique like one, so you get several Prowls (until That Prowl becomes known and they change it anyway.)

• Like x 3
  11. coldstars

On names - I headcanon that forged bots get more of an opportunity to develop/have an innate sense of what name they want. Cold constructed, on the other hand, don't get to figure out their own names; they tend to get shoved into a frame and have a designation slapped on them as fast as possible while they get rushed through the education process, and maybe some of them sense the ill fit of a generic name but they rarely get the chance to change it

And then, eventually, you reach the point where MTOs are shoved into the battlefield with nothing in their head but orders. They don't get names - or if they do, it's something generic, or a serial number, and maybe no one bothers to tell them their own name before they get pushed into the war to die. So it comes full circle - Getaway develops his own name, all on his own, based on his own sense of himself and his identity, because no one could be bothered to name cannon fodder

• Like x 9
  12. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I love that but also how dare you make me sad about Getaway now? I have too many robots I am sad about.

• Like x 3
  13. Petra

Petra space case

Rung and Megatron unexpectedly bonding over name frustrations y/n

• Like x 6
  14. KarrinBlue

Man I'm loving the transformers fusions spooky prime is doing

(Random bits I remember from the streams: Soundwave/Shockwave fusion is like the Soundwave/Starscream fusion except all the mean things he says about you are completely right.

Also, windblade and starscream fusion would be frighteningly effective at getting shit done... when they are not in endless back and forth YOUR IDEOLOGY IS FLAWED AND YOUR METHODS ARE INEFFECTIVE AND YOU'RE WRONG AND ONE DAY YOU WILL DIE AND I WILL LAUGH until someone provides a target they can mutually focus on.

And as it turns out when you combine Rodimus and mags you get 1 functional adult.)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Like x 8
  15. coldstars

They're all so good! The Cywhirl one and anyone fused with TFP Soundwave are so pretty 8) I asked for Starscream/Windblade and I'm like...they're gonna murder someone but like. Diplomatically, and with extreme beauty

16. KarrinBlue

Oh man I asked for windblade and starscream too! And godd the Cywhirl one. I love the Cywhirl fusion.

• Like x 1
  17. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

link pls "_"

• Like x 1
  18. spockandawe

Eyyyyy, it's Pharma being not-entirely-horrible! (sfw, functionist universe) (I really enjoyed writing this one)

ps, Calamity is my new TF baby, I have no idea who he even is yet, but I'm too much in love with the name to let it slip away.

pps, regina spektor's samson is giving me cdprowl feelings

You are my sweetest downfall
    I loved you first, I loved you first
    Beneath the sheets of paper lies my truth
    I have to go, I have to go
    Your hair was long when we first met

Samson went back to bed
    Not much hair left on his head
    He ate a slice of wonder bread and went right back to bed
    And history books forgot about us and the bible didn't mention us
    And the bible didn't mention us, not even once

I loved you first, I loved you first
    Beneath the stars came fallin' on our heads
    But they're just old light, they're just old light
    Your hair was long when we first met

Samson came to my bed
    Told me that my hair was red
    Told me I was beautiful and came into my bed
    Oh I cut his hair myself one night
    A pair of dull scissors in the yellow light
    And he told me that I'd done alright
    And kissed me 'til the mornin' light, the mornin' light
    And he kissed me 'til the mornin' light

Samson went back to bed
    Not much hair left on his head
    Ate a slice of wonderbread and went right back to bed
    Oh, we couldn't bring the columns down
    Yeah we couldn't destroy a single one
    And history books forgot about us
    And the bible didn't mention us, not even once

I loved you first
    And the stuff about cutting his hair gives me feelings about the heist arc and prowl intervening between chromedome and orion pax and how chromedome pins that as the start of things changing between them.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Like x 5
  19. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

I got through about 90% of an Anode and Lug drawing, went to reference the comic...
    anodeluginkswip.png
    and only just then realised that Anode hasn't got wheels how did i manage to miss that

• Like x 10
  20. Petra

Petra space case

Maybe she just sliced open some tires and slid them on for the fashion. That's why Lug is looking at her so dubiously.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice