that one really weird thing on your mind that is making you laugh your ass off

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Fucker, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

upload_2019-6-27_16-30-26.png

VERY IMPORTANT RESEARCH COMING OUT OF THE CHICAGO AREA

• Winner x 10
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Please supply Details!

(My guess based on what i know about kosher rules would be that since avian dinosaurs are allowed, so would non-avian ones be?)

• Agree x 5
  3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

jurassic pork

Also, as far as AI names, I am definitely ASS FEDERATION. I like how it’s in all caps. c:

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  4. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

How far back in the evolution of pigs do you have to go for it not to be considered pork?

• Agree x 1
  5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Source: https://evolution-outreach.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12052-015-0047-2 (First author is from a Chicago university)

Let's see... They don't specifically give many species that they've decided would be kosher (or could be kosher); it's more about the methods of trying to determine something like that using the information available
    • If a species of fish is considered kosher now, they make the choice to call its ancestral relatives kosher as well, but also suggest using fossil evidence to see if a fish demonstrates the right physical characteristics (correct scales and fins). They believe the earliest kosher fish probably came about sometime in the Jurassic.
    • Mammals: leg fossils are used to decide if an extinct animal had cloven hooves or not (there are signature skeletal structures that indicate cloven-ness), but cud-chewing is harder, so the best course of action is to use our extant creatures and identify traits that specifically indicate that an organism is part of the group, and therefore should have the phenotypic characteristics of kosher organisms.
    • Birds are tough for a lot of reasons! They suggest that for a number of reasons (carnivory, size, body structures used to determine kosher-ness in birds) lots of early bird relatives would not be kosher. Also, they believe that basically all of the rest of Dinosauria is not kosher, for one reason or another.
    • Basically any non-mammal, non-fish (lol), non-insect, non-dinosauria animal that we have fossil records of would not be kosher.
    • A few insects might be okay; there are some very well preserved insect fossils that suggest locust- and grasshopper-like insects from as far back as Carboniferous
    Definitely give the paper a peruse if you're interested, there's a lot I left out because of time and it not being my area of expertise, in multiple ways.

• Informative x 12
  6. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

7ACF7856-8173-4A37-859D-41162B000AA1.jpeg
    tag yourself, i’m soup rat

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 2
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I'm spooky creatures, llc

• Winner x 2
  8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

bloons tower defense 5

• Winner x 3
  9. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

• Winner x 5
  10. Anomal(eee)

Anomal(eee) Grumblepunk Gremlin

The buge experience

• Winner x 2
  11. afarewelltokings

afarewelltokings the internet's #1 Julia Child fan

C7BC4592-E8F8-4101-B0BC-A93C216CC63D.jpeg An actual date my dad went on at one point

Him, a humble (at the time) dental student

• Winner x 9
  12. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

it's the 'for a living' part that gets me. like there's money in it.

• Agree x 11
  13. afarewelltokings

afarewelltokings the internet's #1 Julia Child fan

You meet some weird people in Maine/New Hampshire *shrug*

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

... is that not normal? I'd never do it personally (it seems wrong to be forcing religions on people to me) but I grew up with lotsa people wanting to do that as part of a missions thing. It was just a thing, and missionaries were the folks coming over and getting a plate passed around

It's... Kinda horrible now that I've written it out

• Witnessed x 3
    • Informative x 1
  15. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

It's a distressingly normal thing for middle america to force their religion on others as part of their own "personal journey" and "religious growth." You're not wrong and you're not alone in thinking it's kind of gross. Colonialism is alive and well in certain circles

• Agree x 6
    • Informative x 2
  16. WolffyLuna

WolffyLuna Active Member

• Winner x 2
  17. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

This thread about bees (?)

(I showed this to my mom, who's spent decades working in corporate America, and was briefly worried she would die laughing.)

• Winner x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

This was from a news article about a man whose recent passing made headlines because of his good works. The tragedy combined with the grammar is giving me such inappropriate hysterics. They didn’t go in for the traditional “he is survived by”. Oh no. They went for this:

936937DB-B9CE-4E65-9863-DB90D1CAEB92.jpeg

• Witnessed x 6
    • Informative x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

20. keltena

keltena putting the fun in executive dysfunction

Today my brother and I discovered Bic For Him™:

20190702_142219.jpg

• Witnessed x 6
    • Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice