That's Unusual!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by jacktrash, May 21, 2015.

1. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i was like YES JUST YES because that sounds like the most amazing modern fantasy novel ever :D :D :D

i would love to hear about the rain of worms. rains of weird stuff is more meteorological than supernatural imo, but it sure is interesting!

as for the weird noises in bc, i hear that noise ALL THE DAMN TIME. it is freight trains at the cereal factory. braking, maybe, or maybe the wheels slip on the rails a bit when they start up fully laden? i just know it's so common i hardly pay attention to it anymore. and yeah, sometimes when the wind is just right and everything else is pretty quiet, it can be damn near deafening, even though i'm a mile away from the factory.

it's very large pieces of metal rubbing on each other under a lot of pressure. there's a lot of things that could cause it. iirc one time it was identified as the city sharpening snowplow blades? demolishing old ships or train cars could also do it, or construction cranes lifting a heavy load.

• Like x 2
  3. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Idk, i grew up with water restrictions every summer. It kinda stops being fun for me when you start fucking with peoples access to drinking water.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  4. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

FASCINATING. The mermaids in the picture in that article don't look that terrifying, but maybe they're all sweetness and light until you start messing with their water.

5. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

WORMS FROM THE SKIEESS
    Okay this one is fairly short so I'm gonna be a mild masochist and just type it out for you...
    Credit to Paul Sieveking.

• Like x 1
  6. jacktrash

so cool! i'm frustrated, though, that apparently no one thought to analyze the worms' stomach contents and find out where they came from.

• Like x 2
  7. Petra

Petra space case

Once I was home alone, reading a book in my room. I heard a sound in the next room of people talking, but so faint and muffled that it was like they were on the TV turned on quiet. I think there was even a muffled laughtrack, but I might not be right about that. I absentmindedly listened along for half an hour before I remembered there was nobody home! I looked out my door, and the instant I did, the sound stopped. The TV was off and there were no radios on in the house. I checked.

The skeptic in me figures that was a one-off time of auditory hallucination, but that's not actually very reassuring? Normally hallucinations are pretty bad things. I kind of prefer the 'ghost prank' explanation.

• Like x 2
  8. jacktrash

was there a source of white noise? rain, air conditioner, distant traffic? my brain frequently turns white noise into faint conversational noised, especially when i'm tired. i actually find it sort of pleasant. i think it's not the sign-of-something-wrong type of hallucination, just your brain playing pattern recognition games.

• Like x 1
  9. Petra

Petra space case

I don't think there was. I don't remember the atmospheric conditions very well, but we live on a quiet street and the vents are really quiet in my house. In fact, iirc, the sound of voices and laughter stuck out to me so much because everything else was so quiet that day.

10. jacktrash

ooh neat :mystery:

god DAMN we need more smileys

• Like x 2
  11. Petra

Petra space case

My other guess is that maybe it was so quiet that my brain was MAKING some white noise for me. I don't know if that's possible, but it's not the weirdest thing that I've heard of.

Oh! I also once saw a disappearing bicyclist. I think I was around 10, and playing around with sticks in my front yard. I saw a bicyclist riding up from a street, and he was temporarily obscured by the big old pine tree in my yard - and never 'came back out'. There weren't any other roads he could have gone down that were hidden by the tree, or driveways, for that matter.

FINALLY, when I was a kid I was utterly convinced a friendly gnome lived under my bed. I had this whole convoluted headcanon. But the reason I thought that is because almost every night, I would feel a hard lump moving under my mattress, but I'd look under my bed and nothing would be there. It wasn't rats or pets, and there was nothing IN the mattress, but I'd keep feeling it.

• Like x 2
  12. jacktrash

ok, THAT creeps me out. D:

• Like x 1
  13. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

that sounds completely terrifying D:

• Like x 1
  14. Petra

Petra space case

That's the funny thing! I never was scared. I thought it was something friendly or neutral.

• Like x 1
  15. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

So, when my dad was a tiny, he lived in a big creepy farmhouse with his mom and his five or six sisters (most of whom were much older than him, and one of which ran away to join the rodeo.) His dad was a harbor pilot, and not around a lot. He had a shotgun, which was left at the house with strict instructions not to touch unless there was a burgler or something in the house.
    So one day, everyone but my dad is out of the house. He's hanging out, doing kid things, when he hears a noise. A noise that becomes a voice. And then another voice. My dad hears two people arguing loudly upstairs. He panics and grabs his dad's shotgun, and heads upstairs.
    He sneaks silently to the room where he thinks the arguing is coming from. And there is no one there. No living soul is in the house but him (well, and his many cats.)
    He leaves the room. And that is the point when every goddamn door in the house starts opening and slamming. He runs downstairs, doors crashing behind him and finds his mom, who had just gotten back.
    And that's how my dad found out his childhood home was haunted.
    (Side note: that room was given to my aunt who is hard of hearing. yes, my grandparents decided to deal with the ghosts by putting the deaf girl in their room.)

• Like x 7
  16. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Your grandparents and also aunt are hardcore. O.O

• Like x 1
  17. emythos

Fuck yeah.
    My grandpa also once saw a sea monster, got knocked off his boat, and climbed back up.

• Like x 2
  18. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

19. emythos

Yeeeeeeep.
    My dad also ended up living in yet another haunted house over in Hong Kong. Along with once preventing a fight between monks and gang members by playing soccer.

• Like x 2
  20. jacktrash

well now you definitely have to tell that story!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice