The Anecdata Thread

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by oph, Apr 16, 2016.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Dammit, @seebs , since you closed your askbox I can't anon you a pun about someone with the username "wendigo" and the phrase "eating our own."

• Witnessed x 3
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

that is beautiful

• Agree x 2
  3. anon person

anon person actually a cat

necros the thread again for these posts:

https://the-real-seebs.tumblr.com/p...0/i-remember-in-mlpfim-there-were-a-number-of

https://the-real-seebs.tumblr.com/p...sically-lurk-and-dont-post-so-i-guess-have-an

so my anecdata is secondhand because it was my mom who traumatized herself with horror novels (which her parents allowed her access to) as a child. she had horrible nightmares and ... kept reading the books...? because she enjoyed them...? until she was a teen and developed impulse control or something. as a result of her experiences she decided that she would not let her children read books they might hurt themselves with, so my books were carefully curated by her until i was around 13 (at which point i was allowed to check out library books she hadn't previously vetted. i also discovered fanfiction around then and to my memory she never tried to monitor that at all.)

seems reasonable to me and i don't feel like her policy had a negative effect on my life. i had tons of books to read (because she was a voracious reader) and they were all good (because she has good taste ... maybe i'm biased though.) i read the one horror book we had in the house, which i wasn't supposed to, when i was 10ish, and didn't like it much but also don't recall being terribly affected. as an adult i have close to zero interest in horror and such a high tolerance for the kind of slightly gory violence you see in some non-horror films that i forget about it until we're in the middle of the scene and the more squeamish viewers, to whom i recommended the film because i forgot about the violence, are cringing and averting their eyes.

i suspect, on thinking about it, that i would have hated the restrictions on what i could read a lot more if they'd been made to feel like rules i had to follow. (i did in fact not keep my hands off any of the books i was not supposed to read.) but because we had a lot of books in the house, and very few that i wasn't supposed to read, it didn't bother me. i don't remember ever being told to put a book back at the library but it might have happened. if it had happened a lot i think i would have been very annoyed by it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice