The Black Tapes & TANIS

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by blue, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

Latest episode liveblogging:

wow nick that was not the question I was thinking of when you were talking about having MK over xD. I didn't realize that I might actually ship them until the last episode. For a sec I totally thought they banged.

Whenever nick does hypnosis my suspension of disbelief gets a liiiitle stretched.

Ugh. Why do you keep talking to Cameron??? He's such a shady bastard. Though tbh I trust Geoff the least. Either he's crushing hard on nick, or he's got his own motives.

Ahhhhh. Polaris is the North Star. Sirius is the brightest star in the northern sky. That seems like a pretty big mistake ://

Fuuuuuuck don't call Geoff. Don't do that. Don't do that. Nick no. Bad nick. Why do you trust him. Why are you doing this. Don't go with him. Nick you fucking moron.

Ugh I love the legends of the Fisher King.

THE ACTUAL FUCK WITH THE SQUIRREL.

• Like x 3
  2. Spooky Mulder

Spooky Mulder Quiet places are good places

Why does it end with, "What the hell, Mike (or perhaps mic)"?

• Like x 3
  3. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Have we met a Mike? I don't remember.. is it the rock guy?

4. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

Not that I remember? Also was that nick's voice at the end? I couldn't tell.

5. blue

I think the voice saying "Mike, what the hell?" was Nic's, yeah.

6. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

reddit says mike is the geologist!! im not a huge reddit fan but i always check /r/pnws for new episode analysis for tbt and tanis, its good stuff

• Like x 1
  7. Spooky Mulder

Spooky Mulder Quiet places are good places

Didn't Mike go insane?

8. blue

aha! the rock guy. yeah, I think he clawed his eyes out or something??

9. blue

hey guys i found a picture of tanis

[​IMG]

10. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

Okay so thing:
    I was listening to TANIS and enjoying it a lot-- hell it was getting to the point where I was half believing it and it was really great
    And then
    The episode with the then recently dead celebrity and fucking Kurt Cobain as being in on it/killed by the conspiracy completely pulled me out of my suspension of disbelief.
    Does it... Does it stay like that? Like all "oh the JFK assassination was caused by aliens"-y?

11. blue

@peripheral i also found it frustrating; the best i can say is that the element of nic finding random shit and saying it's connected to The Conspiracy gets less foregrounded as the seasons go on and the plot picks up.

personally it helps me to be like, well, even if i existed in the TANIS universe i would think this was kind of a reach, and chalk it up to nic being overexcited rather than the fiction trying to seriously convince me of that stuff.... but TANIS and the black tapes both routinely try to convince you of absurd stuff anyway, so ymmv.

12. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

That's good. It was frustrating because it... Broke the atmosphere?
    Take limetown: disconnected from the real world almost entirely, making it somehow more real.

The black tapes is really cool from what I heard but it's very
    Ooky Spooky Skelytongs? Does that continue?

13. blue

i can't take either of them seriously bc they're both so over the top, so i'm not the person to ask :P

• Like x 1
  14. Jemmy

Jemmy Don't Do A Hit

Yeah, that definitely broke my immersion as well, but thinking back on those episodes they do strike me more as "grasping at straws" era of nic, and when shit starts getting real and also real he stops focusing as much on those kinds of threads

i mean, nic never STOPS grasping at straws, but about other things

• Like x 1
  15. blue

1) nic still infuriates me with his utter lack of common sense of genre savvy
    2) despite this i still listen to tanis
    3) I'M LISTENING TO RABBITS EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT VERY GOOD?*

*the hints of possible alternate universe shenanigans did actually catch my interest, FINE

• Like x 1
  16. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

1. yes
    2. yes
    3. y e s

• Like x 1
  17. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

remember when tanis used to be good*

*i too still listen even though i just get annoyed

• Like x 2
  18. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

After a point I was listening mostly because I just like how his voice sounds.

• Like x 1
  19. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Are there transcripts somewhere? I've started listening to the Black Tapes since I think it's first, chronologically? Then I was going to move to s1 of TANIS at the end of the season, then back, then back to TANIS, then maybe Rabbits if I'm not sick of them. Unless someone suggests a better listening order.

I think the Black Tapes are decent right now, but I'm only a few episodes in. They're good for listening to when I'm not fully awake yet or need to kill time while I wait, but if I try to do literally anything that involves words while listening I stop being able to parse and it all becomes wordlike noise. So transcripts would be v. useful.

20. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

http://theblacktapestranscripts.weebly.com/

http://tanistranscripts.weebly.com/

• Like x 2
    • Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice