The Computer Building Rave!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by NevermorePoe, Jun 9, 2016.

1. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Alright, now that i'm awake, let me explain. The cpu cooler blocks one of the pci slots from being used because I have to put the fan under it in my current build, the other one is under the graphics card, which has a backplate on it and wouldn't let air through it regardless because of that. There isn't much room in the current case, the new one might help alleviate that, or at least I might be able to move the graphics card down. I have pictures, but need to get them. I'll post them when i get them onto the computer.

2. PrinzVyper

PrinzVyper "Cum cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus."

Yes, pictures would help!

3. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

okay, here are the pictures!
    Here's the full system view, you can the the heat sink for the cpu cooler, the fan is behind that, and it pretty much blocks the pcie port from being used. I can't fit the fan on top because I wouldn't be able to close the case. That will be fixed with the new case, but I'll still run into the issue of the pcie slot being directly under the heat sink.
    computer big view.jpg
    And here's the second graphics card/pcie slot beneath it. I couldn't put the graphics card there because of the psu - which again the new case will probably fix. I'll have to wait and see how i can fit everything into the new case before I buy anything additional right now.
    computer pci.jpg

[Edit:] As for the wires, There is not enough space in the cable management area for them to fit, even though this case does have one.

4. PrinzVyper

A: Dust is an issue in your house, especially at 3 months. Do you have pets or more than 3 people in the house? Both cause dust to be a real problem.

Here is my rig in that Phantex case: IMG_20161110_041028.jpg

Is there any way to turn that cooler 90deg? You have the room in the new case, and probably the old one as well.

*For reference, my water pump, labeled "Arctic" sits right on top of my CPU.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  5. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

The cooler can't be turned 90 degrees, its stuck just as it is. I did have room to put the fan on top of the heat sink this time however- which means I can put things in the pci express slot under it. I finished the move! Here's a picture!
    compooter.jpg
    With bonus reflections!

I need to get some lights for the case.

6. PrinzVyper

• Informative x 1
  7. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I'm looking for something I can control via my computer I was looking at the nzxt hue+... but it got really poor reviews.
    The corsair option has pretty good reviews though.

[Edit:] And I like the lights too!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  8. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

Oh, hey @PrinzVyper do you have any recommendations for adding more fans to my computer? I'm all out of dedicated slots on my motherboard. I want to add at least two more, one 140 mm in the front, and one 120 mm on top. At some point i'd like to replace all my fans with light up ones, but that can be done over time fairly simply.

Also, thank you for all your advice!

9. PrinzVyper

For a cheap solution, any of these would work. These are a better solution, and I'm quite fond of this one, and used it in my last build. Remember when buying fans the bearing is the important factor, avoid sleeve bearings like the plague!

*and I'm always happy to help!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  10. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I added lights!
    [​IMG]

and a still picture.
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 1
  11. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

okay, so if I got This CPU cooler, I could just use any fan in place of the ones it comes with, right? Like, two of these?

I'm starting to look for a smaller, more discreet CPU cooler. And, that one has good reviews, and I could put the radiator up on the top, or at the front of the case. Which would let me see the motherboard easier, and make upgrades, checking on things, dusting, etc. Easier.

[Edit:] There was a chat on newegg to ask an EVGA expert. They said that it would work. I assumed it would, but wanted to be double sure.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  12. PrinzVyper

Depending on how long the screws that come with the cooler are I don't see why it would not work. Why did you pick that one btw? I chose the Arctic model because it has fans on both sides of the radiator, and thus has much better overall airflow.

13. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

It has good reviews, and is in my price line. Can I have a link to the Arctic?

14. PrinzVyper

15. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

My main reason was the ability to control it from my desktop, via the usb link. The rgb led's didn't hurt though. I could add fans to both sides. The software i'm using to control the lights has options to control the fans i'm getting as well. I think there might be a way to make it mirror the cpu cooler's fans, so i wouldn't need them to be connected to the unit itself.

16. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

17. PrinzVyper

So, I've finally spec'ed out my next rig, I'm calling this build "Sledge Hammer" as in "Something to kill gnats with." It's overkill, and way over-thee-top but here we go:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme
    CPU: AMD RYZEN Threadripper 1920 12 core/24 Thread, 3.5Ghz/4.0Ghz
    Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
    RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB)SDRAM DDR4 3200
    Video:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    SSD: SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB
    HDD: TOSHIBA 8TB Desktop Hard Drive 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M

Now to save up enough cash for this monster...

• Winner x 1
  18. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

I've been eyeing up asus rog's new intel board for a bit now. But I think i'll go with anothe Asrock board, as the one I currently have has been really nice. And the current one looks really good too.

19. PrinzVyper

Screw it... In for a penny, in for a pound... Gonna use the Ryzen 1950 16-core/32-Thread

20. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I just impulse-bought a SSD for my computer. Turns out it didn't have a SATA data cable or a 3.5'' mounting adapter in it.
    But it's okay, though, I just used the cable from the optical drive, since I never use it anyway. As for mounting it inside the case... Hey, it's a SSD. No moving part or vibration. I just duct taped it in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice