The Crafts: Wixes, Spells, and the Weaponized Placebo Effect

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by ADigitalMagician, Mar 10, 2015.

1. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

basically there's a blog thats saying "you cant just make stuff up and call it magic, spell jars dont do anything unless charged and the way tumblr treats sigils is Wrong", which sure whatever, but the whole thing smacks of bullying imo cuz they screenshot and @ posts that they think are fake magic or whatever
    its super dumb

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

That is very dumb.

• Agree x 3
  3. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Headology is headology, whether you're using rocks or markers. You're using what's there and what you can use, as all spellcrafters have done in the generations before us.

Magic comes from within and it doesn't care if people thinks its being done wrong.

• Agree x 4
  4. Aondeug

Like I have rather specific thoughts on how magic works and why my magic works, but I'm not going to be a bitch to someone from an entirely different practice. That's their business, not mine. My practice meanwhile is my business and I will get pissy if someone tries to tell me how or why my shit actually truly works or that I don't need a bit of it.

Just let people have their own shit. Fuck.

This is almost as stupid as the bullshit arguments Hellenics get into with others on theology. TUMBLR WHY.

• Agree x 3
  5. rats

it's honestly baffling, like who cares if people want to reblog emoji spells, "but but but emoji spells aren't ~real magic~ and there's so much misinformation on tumblr, what if someone who wants to learn ~real magic~ sees this ~fake magic~ :(" fuck off, if people want to learn ~real magic~ or whatever they're not gonna be on tumblr, they're gonna try to find covens IRL or read books or whatever, it's......it's tumblr........fucking chill

6. rats

idk, they have posted some links to some really interesting looking resources, but at the same time i really really dislike how they DIRECTLY call people out for doing "fake magic" or "woowoo shit", it's just like........can u not?? can u not. "we want to keep it open for discussion!" it's so rude

7. Aondeug

There is a lot of misinformation running around on tumblr, but frankly that is not even close to the actual problem. The actual problem is shit like the 'Flidais is a deer and woodland goddess' shit going around or people unironically reblogging 'Irish' or 'Celtic' zodiacs. It's not someone's fucking emoji spell, unless they are claiming said emoji spell is somehow an ancient Celtic tradition or some horseshit. Which generally they're not. The sort of things that are actually misinformation are very different.

• Agree x 4
  8. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

What ritual should I preform to bring power, grace, and success to Stormy Daniels, I tend to lean toward ceremonial magic so demons are open for discussion, suggestions welcome

Edit: amazing that I think I can direct the power of spirits when I cannot spell. I am a pre-history mystic bullshitter at heart.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    • Winner x 2
  9. Aondeug

I'd say write a sincere praise poem emphasizing her positive traits that really matter to the current situation. Make healthy mention of perhaps one of the sovereignty goddesses and perhaps even a comparison or two, but definitely a call for Justice and Truth. The poem must be true, both in terms of her positive traits, how those relate to the current situation, and the feel of her coming victory that you want to see happen. Like the last bit isn't fact yet like the positive traits are, but it is so true a story that it could become fact and by god we're gonna make it fact. Recite this poem aloud after composing it and after making an offering of probably milk to one of the poetry gods (Brighid, the Morrígan and Ogma all work and Lugh is skillful at all things). If you can get others to recite it as well.

But then I tend towards Irish recon type magic and not ceremonial, and the poem shit is the one thing I can really do do besides some simple stuff like saining.

• Like x 3
  10. rats

ive always associated hera with sex workers, idk if that's actually a Thing but if you do hellenistic stuff at all that could be an option

• Like x 1
  11. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

personally I'd probably like. make a jar of herbs/stones related to power/grace/success, and then put her picture on the top or in the center of the jar, in the idea that this will bring the things to her. or I'd burn some herbs related to power/grace/success while like....trying to Strongly Influence those things to Go To Her.
    but then I don't work a lot with gods and also tend to not cast much on others at the moment, so y'know, my suggestions are very basic.

• Like x 1
  12. leitstern

I have more personal relationships/comfort with Norse Gods. (In as far as anyone is comfortable in proximity to the Aesir.) I always invoke Sunna, and as the sun who sees all things she is appropriate. Luckily I also have a... weird... semi-personal... history with Tyr, who is a justice-war-victory Deity.

I don't see why Tyr wouldn't appreciate poetics. Odin is the poetry and inspiration guy, for sure, but Tyr listens to a good argument. They all do.

I'll have to compose this in alliterative verse, won't I. Shit

• Like x 2
  13. Aondeug

That might well work still, though I don't know much about Norse poetry magic. I do know that the Irish and the Vikings did have quite a bit of cultural exchange though and that the two polytheisms tend to work together better than a lot of other melds do. Coming from a recon standpoint, of course. Non-recon polytheism is another matter.

14. leitstern

Tyr especially, as a war-justice god, would be hopping fucking mad about an unlawful, lying COWARD being the ruler of a large, powerful country.

Seeing as the basis of Norse magic today, at least what we can recover, in Rune lore and the use of the runes, poetry can be incredibly powerful magic... but I might not personally be up for a whole poem if I delved deep into the runic angle on this one. I've barely composed a runic name. But your perception of things--expressed through your wording of them--is the basis for a lot of runic magic. You tell it what it is. Your perception/luck/fate/soul, your personal sphere of the Wyrd, is what you send out in spell casting; your perception, your name.

Hmmm. SD. Sowilo Dagaz. The sun, and dawn/daybreak. Sun's light, power, right path, and realization, spark, inspiration. That's one hell of a coincidence.

And yeah, I... don't... really... mess with a lot of non-recon Norse. It's the murkiest realm of neopaganism politically and becomes not-fun very fast. When I even find another Norse I get a bit riled up because I'm looking at a mystery box that could be absolutely fucking anything. Are you a dedicated Freyja devotee? A pagan polytheist? A deeply devoted Anglo-Saxon spiritualist whose practice is based on 3 poems and a gravestone? An Odhinnic mysticist? An Odhinnic fucking racist? Just a racist who thinks that pre-historical clan dynamics excuses your actions??? I don't fucking know!

• Agree x 3
  15. leitstern

If its not obvious my head is really not with me today, sorry if I'm posting nonsense. I took a break from wage work for my wedding and coming back to it has been STELLAR and somehow I'm just mad about political injustice right now

I need to finish the laundry.

• Witnessed x 1
  16. Aondeug

I tend to not trust most Heathens in general regardless of their slant until they've proven themselves trustworthy. Just as a safety measure. Recon's where I personally come at my religion from though so it tends to be what I look at other polytheisms I find interesting from. I just like to make sure that's clear though when I post advice like this or suggestions because I mean I come from an entirely different methodology than a lot of other people do.

17. leitstern

I am definitely not a reclaimer or an authentic anything. I like to research the actual history as thoroughly as I can but as someone who, fundamentally, hates Gods but wants to love them, acting like I am a true believer from a truly passed-down religion is.... fucking ridiculous. (That's that Fundamentalist Childhood Damage for you!)

Sometimes, something does seem like something I remember, or something really true. The fact that I was utterly convinced the Wyrd was the true map of life/the world the second I encountered it and only believed that more every time is a lot of where I'm coming in regards to settling in the Norselands despite... everything else about me. That's pretty weird for me, but I just fucking know in each of my major organs that the Wyrd is real and true. Even though I of course acknowledge it isn't true for other people. Same for the 'existence' of Yggdrassil; the makeup of the Norse Universe was just... something I knew. In before it ends up that I'm some kind of fire giant and that's why I know the Wyrd but am wary of most Aesir.

Generally you get better results from people who love the Vanir than people who love the Aesir, though there's almost requisite interlapping. People who maintain that they are devoted to just the Aesir and regard other races as their sworn enemies are obviously suspect, ASATRU.

18. Aondeug

And I'm just a fucking nerd. Research into the sorts of things that are involved in recon is like My Big Thing, so of course I'd naturally head towards a form of religion that involves this sort of study. I don't view it as some sort of reclaiming of a truly passed-down faith as the faith hasn't existed in years and we honestly don't know that much about it. I'm a scholar who is reconstructing an entirely new religion based on his own whimsies. If I'm not researching then what am I doing with my life? Not enjoying it.

• Agree x 1
  19. theprettiestboy

theprettiestboy wombatman

When in doubt I tend to default to either candle magic or tying knots around rocks. Candle magic could be a good way to send a little boost her way I think.

• Agree x 1
  20. Jove

Jove [ destination defenestration ]

I agree about the candle magic— all of the above are good, obviously! But my slant of magic lends itself to fire being a very strong form to use as well-wishing.

Edited to include more clarity: I’m a druid, hence my agreement about the candle magic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice