The Crafts: Wixes, Spells, and the Weaponized Placebo Effect

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by ADigitalMagician, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

And now that I am not sick...Oh yes. The things answering you through divination methods get pissy if you ask stupid questions. Things like "Does this work" and "What is this" get snappy responses or entirely useless ones in my experience. Hell, not being specific enough can get you shit. They get lots of questions and they got lots of shit to be doing. Don't waste their time.

• Like x 3
  2. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Note that I did get a "Yes" for "Does this work?", but it was my first ever question. I just asked again For Science, and it said "no". :P

• Like x 1
  3. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

For science I would definitely go with many people asking the same question via a same divination method, for example. Heck and try to make it double blind. Maybe have different people read the cards pulled out by several people on the same question.

• Like x 4
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Difficult to arrange, but would be interesting.

• Like x 2
  5. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

As someone who does not believe that divination has any objective reality, I use tarot cards for "what should I do" questions, not for "what is going to happen" questions. This is because tarot cards have a large and accepted symbolic base and, as such, I can use them as input for a sort of simulated annealing. The Wikipedia page for simulated annealing has a lot of math on it, but the gist of what I actually do is drop a few cards to suggest approaches I should take in thinking about a problem, center on the ones that seem most relevant, and then refine my thoughts myself from there.

• Like x 5
  6. Aondeug

Huh. That's kind of similar to how I used to use them? Though it was more my gut feelings. Just kind of look and go eh these are some interesting ways of looking at or dealing with this. Whoo. After some time though I realized that I could use them as a way to talk with my gods. The way that they use birds and such. And thus they became a phone basically.

7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

@Vacuum Energy Okay, that I can do with no problem. The oils and herbs thing feels okay because there are practical uses for them, too. I just got in a tizz about "this won't help, magic isn't real and if gods are they don't like you, why bother?"

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  8. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

• Like x 1
  9. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

• Like x 1
  10. Starcrossedsky

IT'S A DRAGON DECK THAT ISN'T PASTEL FANTASY HELL OR WEIRD RW AESTHETIC

AND IT'S SO MY AESTHETIC

GOD.

• Like x 3
  11. Starcrossedsky

like I had actually been vaguely planning a similarly aesthetic bold-colors-on-black deck for a while because it's my Thing but holy shit???

I'm gonna fuck it.

• Like x 3
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, I'm not a tarot person but I want.

• Like x 1
  13. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

The square cards are a bit confusing but want

14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Thing which confuses me; as a child, my mother forbade me from dabbling in the occult, yet she doesn't believe in it. On one hand I can get it because she had a friend have a panic attack when playing with a ouija board which didn't even do anything. Still I wonder, does she fear it might be realer than she thinks or was she trying to protect me from disappointment more than danger?

15. Aondeug

My first guess is the former. Not that she does really believe but more a sort of...superstitious worry? Like a yeahI think this is bullshit but what fucking if. Especially if she knows someone who had a panic attack during something like that.

But then I don't know her and I'm just guessing based off my own patterns. I don't believe in God and demons and such but you won't see me disrespecting Al Qur'an. It does not even touch the floor or dirty hands because of worry.

• Like x 1
  16. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

17. Starcrossedsky

Living dead does good stuff, A+ would advise.

• Like x 1
  18. pinnedbutterfly

pinnedbutterfly *sparkles*

i might be setting up an altar-type thing on my dresser after the holidays bc the counter space currently housing my electric candle is too small and i want to put a Bunch of Things on there, including something that's inspired by those wish-type trees i've seen in other traditions but isn't quite the same thing. i'm wondering if that's too appropriative? it's not a replica of what other faiths do--i'm hanging them on a tree mostly bc i just want to be able to see the charms that i'm making for people (other than ones i'm giving to people, of which i'll make doubles). i'm an eclectic witch anyway--the current plan is to study some chaos stuff and some nordic stuff, as i've mentioned before, and do other little things that just feel right.

really i'm not sure i can even call it an altar, as it's mostly just a space dedicated to my craft rather than a deity (well. right now anyway). i will also probably put my jewelry there bc i like pretty shiny things and i get the feeling that whatever might be watching over me won't mind.

19. Aondeug

All sorts of people hang shit on trees. Hang shit on trees. I can think of like five different ones from Asia, Europe, and America off the top of my head. This is like blessing things with water. It's so hideously common that it can't be appropriative unless you're like...directly stealing a replica of, say, Thai water blessings for your sexy wicca or something.

• Like x 2
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I tried to set up an altar, used one of my nice scarves as an altar cloth. When I tried to light my burner, the match broke in half and burned a hole in the scarf. I liked that scarf :( Sign I shouldn't do this or what?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice