The Crafts: Wixes, Spells, and the Weaponized Placebo Effect

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by ADigitalMagician, Mar 10, 2015.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Ahh, I miss the PPC! :( :( :(

I find it easier to think of characters fitting multiple archetypes as having influence from multiple gods than actually BEING those gods. Maybe being the favoured ones or the direct co-creations of them. I don't really think of my faves as gods, though, more like guardian angels.

• Like x 4
  2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Huh. I dont do much woth the archetype thing. Closest I get is several Buddhist deities being aspects of one deity. So Yama and Manjusri are the same dude but also different ones. Just different aspects of them. Guanyin has a lot too though the only ones I remember off the top of my head are Guanyin, Avalokitesvara, and Hayagriva.

I guess this isbas good a tine as any to describe how I thibk the Morrígan works again. Ok. So aj Morrígan is a series of five sisters who are all distinct people. But she is also just one person. All of them are individuals but also an Morrígan. They are also a triplicate as na Morrígna. So five are five but also one who is actually three.

• Like x 1
  3. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Full rambling here courtesy of late night phone plurking, but TLDR: My secret santa sent me the earthbound oracle and it seems to have come with something attached. Specifically something talkative, kind of snarky, and VERY deep-earth feeling.

• Like x 2
  4. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter literally Eevee

dang.
    ....also what deck is this can you link me?

5. Starcrossedsky

It's the Earthbound Oracle by skullgarden! They... seem to be sold out of it right now but here is their etsy page; they also have a tarot and a lenormand.

• Like x 1
  6. chaoticArbiter

I favorited the shop! I hope the Earthbound Oracle deck will be back at some point; I've never tried using an oracle deck before and it looks cool. and the one you have kinda....resonates with me?
    though I hope mine won't come with a spirit attached

• Like x 1
  7. Starcrossedsky

It's one of only two oracle decks I'm into myself, so I feel that! Skullgarden has a definite aesthetic and while it's not perfectly in line with my own, it's definitely something I like.

• Like x 1
  8. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Sorry about the late reply, took some time to word my thoughts, and real life happened.

For me, spellwork is about focusing my mind, giving a shape to my grievances and wishes. It has a huge element of "know what you want", which gets expressed through the flow and wording of the poetry. I have to know what I want to achieve to weave it into the words, and it's a focus, channeling my own feelings (helplessness, rage, love, worry...) into a coherent form. The spellwork is thus affected by my own focus and attention, and will fade once my attention fades.
    There is a distinct feeling to spellwork, of tumultous energy being shaped and aimed, and it also helps me deal with stuff on an emotional level, by examining my feelings and what led to them.

I hope that makes sense?

• Like x 2
  9. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

I totally called this XD
    Dad got me a Radiant Rider-Waite. they are very brightly colored, and also larger than I was expecting. I have baby hands and was spoiled by a small first deck, I think these are the typical size. a little unsure about the tiny booklet that came with it, its interpretations aren't what I'm used to. and all of the people in the art are white (though maybe I missed one, haven't gone through card by card? one could only hope), which generally I've learned is a thing in tarot, but it's really disappointing and annoying

I haven't interviewed them yet, but I did fuss with them a bit. probably want to do some sort of cleansing to make them seem less...weird? foreign? not sure what, though, can't put them on the windowsill to get moonlight because our windows sometimes freeze on the inside during winter, and leave puddles in the morning

kind of linefacing about the whole thing, but hopefully I can get some practice out of them.

10. Starcrossedsky

As for me, I ordered myself that square tarot deck I linked a while back. Merr Critmiss.

• Like x 1
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Awesome :)

I feel like I should find some PCP stuff to do with Cake Wrecks. Dunno what.

12. Starcrossedsky

Well, if nothing else, my earthbound oracle is very insistent on being shuffled the same way as my tarot decks. I tried shuffling it a different way and immediately drew FAILURE.

• Like x 1
  13. pinnedbutterfly

pinnedbutterfly *sparkles*

....so I found this jewelry tree on Amazon that I want to use for my charm tree. I am Excited to start making charms!!! I have decided that I am probably going to make most if not all of my core charms (I.e. the ones for people I'm closest to) January first to symbolize new beginnings, and sort of hope that my hope for a better year and the energy of the new year will be infused in the charms, and they'll protect those most important to me all year.

I'm suddenly kind of glad that I never got around to making charms, bc now I can start a new tradition on New Years! :>

• Like x 3
  14. Starcrossedsky

As a creature of New Year's I heartily approve of this.

(Perhaps that's why I constantly start things and never finish them. I am an incarnation of the psirit of failed New Year's Resolutions.)

• Like x 1
  15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I want to do some kind of cleansing ritual involving burning my 2016 calendar, but it has photos of cute baby animals in it. I feel like burning it would be wishing harm on the baby animals. Is there some sort of "release the connection to the subject" ritual that can be done with photos?

• Like x 2
  16. chaoticArbiter

....okay this is really flipping good idea. I wanna do this kind of thing too.

• Like x 1
  17. paintcat

paintcat Let the voice of love take you higher

Unfortunately nothing leaps to mind that doesn't amount to littering.
    I wonder if there isn't some way to turn the burning into a symbol of rebirth or redemption? Like, use the fire for something positive? The fire pit in my mom's backyard is used as a family gathering place, and we're usually burning brush and garbage... unwanted/defunct things go in, warm atmosphere + light + smores come out.

• Like x 2
  18. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Yeah fire doesn't have to be destructive- if you have a fireplace maybe you could do some old-school connection to hearth and home? Or like @paintcat said, make a gathering of it. Bonfires are closely tied to celebration, after all. Also fire is definitely a symbol of rebirth as well- some old things must be destroyed to make way for the new. There are some trees where their cones have a tiny chance of opening naturally and letting out their seeds, so most of the time there are hardly any new saplings. But that's because they grow in super-dense forests where the saplings aren't likely to grow anyway. But when there's a fire the forest floor gets cleared of brush and a lot of plants die, and the heat actually makes the cones open and let out the seeds. So the trees actually use the destruction to populate.

I wouldn't worry about wishing harm on cute baby animals unless that was the intent you put into it. To me, magic is intent + belief, with a side of ritual to make them clear. The fact you're trying to avoid harm already means you won't do any. I do believe that every act is a magical act and try to live carefully because of it, but that's because I'm not always a nice person and my intent isn't always pure; it reminds me to examine and sometimes restrain myself. But you're pretty clear on your intent here.

• Like x 3
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there's anything useful I can do with burning a calendar. I can't burn it indoors because my fire alarm will go off, and I can't cook food on the flames because the ink's probably toxic. My parents have a fireplace, but they also have two rambunctious dogs who we don't want around naked flames.

20. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Like I said I wouldn't worry about it too much. You have no intent to harm the baby animals.

Maybe take some scissors to the calendar? Depending on how the calendar's set up. The main thing you'd want to burn is the actual calendar part anyway, yeah?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice