The Expanse

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by kastilin, Sep 29, 2015.

1. kastilin

kastilin get in the fucking crayfish shinji

so, i just finished reading the most recent book in this series (nemesis games) & i was wondering if anyone else has read it (the series)?
    also, the upcoming tv series. i'm hyped! the guy playing miller looks like an amazing disaster in the trailer (perfect), and the woman playing naomi just looks amazing. apparently it drops in december!
    the trailer, for anyone who hasn't seen it:

also according to imdb there's a character in the show called "cpl dookie" i'm

• Like x 1
  2. Silvereye

Silvereye 89 White Paladin Traverses The Cosmos

I've read the first three. I did buy Cibola Burn, but haven't gotten around to reading it. The first three seemed to tell a decently self-contained story and I get suspicious about looong things. But if I remember correctly, Cibola Burn has Avasarala in it and I adore Avasarala (favourite character by a long shot), so maybe I should read it.

I will watch the series, but I'm pretty fickle. Let's hope I get excite enough to actually follow it all the way.

(if I may ask, your user title thing... is it "my heart is a fish, hiding in the water grass" reference?)

3. kastilin

if i'm honest, cibola burn was my favorite out of all the novels so far (this is mainly because of a certain character's involvement whose name i'm gonna avoid due to spoilers, but let's just say he's my favorite followed closely by bobbi and avasarala). if you do read it, i hope you enjoy! i do agree that the first 3 are very self contained, & you could probably stop reading there & be completely done with the story just fine. the other ones seem (to me at least) more like a second series, separate but still connected to the first 3, if that makes any sense at all.

i have high hopes for the series, but yeah, i hope it follows through.

(also heck yeah it is!)

4. kastilin

okay, so i'm bringing this back since the first episode is available on the syfy website & i'm so hyped for this! the opening credits are really nice, imo.
    i have a bunch of opinions.
    the beginning sequence with julie was just. amazing. the claustrophobia of the ship & the weirdness of the protomolecule stuff was captured really well.
    miller is a complete trainwreck in action with a stupid hat. my favorite part of this episode is when he almost throws the air filter cleaner out of an airlock & his speech after. "air is good" miller seriously.
    i'm going to quote pathopharmacology on tumblr & ask "who made havelock hot"
    naomi is great, i expected nothing less. i get the feeling more so in the show than in the books that she's literally the only thing holding the canterbury together currently.
    the switch between loving grandma avasarala & terrifying politician avasarala is amazing. it's also scary. do not irritate avasarala.
    i'm attached to shed. i know what happens, i'm setting myself up for sadness & pain. it's not stopping me though!
    amos is so casual about pulling some random junk off the wall when it could be a bomb.
    i feel like i should be saying more but my opinions are best distilled into short snark.
    also, i said this already but I AM SO HYPED

if you can't tell miller is my fave i'm so pleased with the actor playing him

5. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i am resurrecting this thread because over the past two weeks i've been reading this series (already seen the show) and oh my god last night i finished reading babylon's ashes and this series is so good

and there's a grand total of 112 fics for the books and/or show on ao3 and i'm just like, please, i need more than this

6. kastilin

I FEEL YOU ONE THE NEED FOR MORE FIC
    there isn't really anything on tumblr either in terms of fic or things & i'm Sad

i'm super hyped for season3 of the show, & the next book is coming out soon i think!

@ mr corey bring back miller pls

• Agree x 1
  7. garden

garden lucid dreamer

:c

i'm definitely going to nominate the expanse for yuletide this year tho

google wouldn't tell me when the next book was coming out beyond "2017" and i'm just like when

oh my god please, i loved miller in cibola burn so much, especially towards the end, please let him return

speaking of that spoilered character, this fic is quite good! :U

• Useful x 1
  8. kastilin

>necros thread to let erryone know s3 premiers april 11th and also that i'm still in love with bobbie draper

• Winner x 1
  9. garden

garden lucid dreamer

YEAH!! also i have acquired Persepolis Rising and i plan to read it on my long airplane flight tomorrow \o/

10. kastilin

S3 STARTS TOMORROW

[vibrates in excite]

• Agree x 1
  11. kastilin

[deep breath]
    SCREAM
    scream.PNG

(s3 of the show is good so far. i love bobby draper a lot)

• Agree x 1
  12. garden

garden lucid dreamer

i finally finished reading Persepolis Rising yesterday! & now i’m rereading Leviathan Wakes ^u^

s3 also has me excited! :D aaaahhh i can’t wait for
    clarissa mao
    to show up! (assuming they DO show up this season? i think it’s at least possible, if this season is going to get into book 3 (and i think it is))

13. kastilin

there's an actress on the imbd page for clarissa, tagged as being in several episodes of this season
    so i think she will show up soon!

however: miller's actor is only tagged for s1 & 2
    when does the alien trash detective show up
    GIVE ME PROTOMILLER

• Informative x 1
  14. garden

garden lucid dreamer

ahhhh it’s gonna be amazing when proto-miller shows up, he’s my fave *u* but yes, WHEN??

15. kastilin

speaking of, i'm rereading the best [character] book (cibola burn) & i reached this quote
    this book is a work of art that deserves every award

• Winner x 1
  16. kastilin

FINALLY WATCHING E2 & GUESS WHO SHOWED UP

ANNA
    I LOVE HER

E. & HER WIFE

e. in spoiler

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    • Winner x 1
  17. garden

garden lucid dreamer

@kastilin yeah!! :D

thriving on that good good representation

18. kastilin

NEW EP

semi-liveblog time

jebus i love drummer

fuk u errinwright

poor anna

the marines? need a hug & warm blankets & air

bobbi & avasarala are great. esp bobbi

I REVIZED MY OPINION OF THE MARINES
    hdt fuck up alex

avasarala is manipulative as fuck but i love her

also this version of holden is way more interesting than the book version. i appreciate it

OH MY GOD BOBBI? I LOVE HER

hahaha amos
    "shit did i miss the fight"

anna is a badass when angry

avasarala vs martian marine in a battle of intellect: we all know how this goes
    (hint: avasarala dominates all)

oh my god poor anna. her wife is a darling

EVEN MORE "OH MY GOD POOR ANNA"

alex ilu
    bobbi ilu
    idk how i'd feel about them smooching tho

i still don't fuckin ship naomi & james
    naomi/drummer is better
    or, for book ships: naomi/sam

(i present to you my list of expanse ships, divided by book & show)
    book:
    naomi/sam
    show:
    naomi/drummer
    alex/amos
    amos/miller

both:
    protomiller/being a creepy annoying fuckhead

HOLY SHIT THE PROTOMOLECULE SPEAKS
    WE'RE GETTING THE SHIT THAT WE GOT IN THE BOOKS THROUGH THE INVESTIGATOR'S PERSPECTIVE THROUGH A KID & IT IS EVEN MORE UNNERVING

clarissa still hasn't shown up but i am hyped for her
    & protomiller (my guess is the season will end with it doing its "we need to talk" shit)

e. you know what, i really feel is should give anyone that reads this a heads up: major gore warning for the end of this episode

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  19. garden

garden lucid dreamer

@kastilin

the opening scene with drummer was so good omg

and yesss anna getting the deets on errinwright!! (though hopefully she received at least some context for it...? tho i guess it’s incriminating enough without context)

i am HYPED for protomiller being ominous as the final scene for the season!

also hype for clarissa!!

and uh YEAH that final scene sure was something, holy shit

wrt ships;
    -i do semi-ship naomi/holden, though maybe a little less in the show than in the books (though the “i’m glad you’re okay” moment this episode was nice)

-i’ve begun to like amos/prax a lot... so much hurt/comfort potential (fic rec: The Slow Zone) (it’s not h/c but it is some nice long distance amos/prax)
    -protomiller/being a creepy fuckhead is, Great
    -i’ve never thought about amos/miller before, that’s interesting

-the relationship that probably interests me the most is holden & protomiller - not necessarily in a shippy way (though if so, that can be deliciously creepy) but just in general

speaking of spoiler character...
    i’m so excited for protomiller to show up on the screen! after i finished reading persepolis rising, i started rereading the series; i’ve been super enjoying abaddon’s gate so far, especially protomiller!

20. kastilin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice