The Finest Dumpster in Hell's Kitchen (MCU netflix thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by vegacoyote, May 1, 2016.

1. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

ahhh yes, ok, i see what is the refrance now:

IMG_0210.PNG
    DAREDEVIL'S NEW YORK: IT'S SO YELLOW Y'ALL

and yes, that's Jeph Loeb who you may recognize from the opening credits of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Defenders, aaaaaaaand pretty much every other superhero show in the past 10 years!

(this is a pretty good comic so far, but i. really do not care for the way they draw Matt. or Foggy. or anyone really.)

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. Tea and Rain

Tea and Rain angry squirrel

Two episodes into the defenders and I have so many Jessica jones het ships. I hope Claire, Patsy Walker, and misty knight get a chance to shine. Jessica Jones is one of the best portrayals of PTSD I have seen which is why her series is hard to watch for me.

• Agree x 3
  3. hyrax

so i've been alerted to a VERY IMPORTANT FACT by one of my friends who is much much much more knowledgable about comics than i am: that when Claire calls Matt "Mike" in i think episode 2 of Daredevil, it's a reference to the comics. not only that, but a reference to an AMAZING part of the comics:
    IMG_5166.PNG
    IMG_5167.PNG

so i looked it up and

[​IMG]

FUCKING HELL, comics, what even are you

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  4. hyrax

he even has a fedora as "Mike." im dying squirtle

• Witnessed x 1
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I think I read about that on a list of "stupidest superhero secret identities" on Cracked or something. (I forget if it was because Matt got revealed as Daredevil, faked his death, and/or some other reason.)

• Like x 1
  6. hyrax

apparently he got outed (by Spider-Man!) and decided to go "no no no that was my TWIN BROTHER, not me." because that makes sense, right. oh silver age comics.

[​IMG]

he must be an incredible lawyer.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    • Winner x 3
  7. dky

dky burnt toast

my little sib was talking to me about matt and said this and im laughing its so true

"matt is so extra, hes over here in his bdsm kink suit with referencing god as he backflips a guy into a choke hold with his overpriced baton"

• Agree x 5
    • Winner x 2
  8. dky

dky burnt toast

also me and my lil sib were talking about defenders and i wanted to share our thoughts!!! (theres a lot of iron fist discussion on my end bc i am trash lmao)

Me:
    danny is the softest. he's the easiest to defeat, and the weakest link. because he hides himself, and can never become 100% the iron fist. because he's hiding in his beliefs when in fact he's constantly doubting them. because under his mask, danny is a scared, helpless kid trying to figure out why he wasn't strong enough to save his mom.

and even the fact that they died is a shield

he brandishes their death like a weapon because then he has a purpose. he can seek his revenge, he can be the iron fist, he can do his duty. he doesn't have to think, because emotions aren't his job. he needs to save the world. and im just thinking that, now, after the hand is down - he's got nothing but his emotions. his mask has literally been broken. he can't hide anymore

and thats what scares him the most, because he doesn't know how to face these things because he was never taught how.

danny knows how to hide, he's been doing it all his life. danny knows how to fight to save someone. he doesn't know how to grieve for his family or himself. because he was taught not to

Ronnie:
    like jessica cares so much but she knows that caring doesnt get you everywhere and she will make the logical decision. not connected to morals or god forbid feelings. shes strong and spontaneous and will always come through in the end. she hurt but shes done hiding and she is trying.

luke, well hes the most mentally stable out of all of them. hes confronted his past, embraced it and moved on. hes the emotional rock of the team. hes stubborn but they all are. he the most morally upright as well.

matt, well hes the pinnacle of repressed emotions. hes the calmest out of all of them. the last to raise his voice but the first to disagree. he'll argue tell he dies but he will keep his voice level. he is the last to throw a punch until he has to. he doesnt want help, not because he thinks hes better then them but because he doesnt deserve help. like he didnt jump to "lets punch danny!!!" but he did not hesitate to reciprocate the moment danny hit him. and he stopped the moment jessica told him too. hes stubborn but he knows when to quit, unlike someone[glares at picture of danny in my head] and that brings me to danny.

the weakest of them all. emotionally. hes quick to anger and will almost never admit when hes wrong because hes the immortal iron fist, god damn it. he knows whats best because he knows hes destiny. he is always right until he isnt but he would never admit to that. he wants help but only if it listens to him

Me:
    and like...

ok so DONT TAKE THIS WRONG

but i think ur analasis of danny is a little one sided

yes, he does all of that, but i think its less of him being sure of himself and what he's supposed to do and more so being sure of and trusting in his teachers

he doesnt trust himself, he's made mistakes
    Because the iron fist doesnt
    Because the iron fist hasnt and never will
    but like

i relate to danny SO MUCH

i get where hes coming from especially when the team turns on him

because he's NOT angry

he's frustrated and upset because they all are so quick to betray him, because they don't stop and listen to him

Ronnie:
    so its less of 'im right' and more of 'my teachers where right'

Me:

ye!
    because he like, he BLEEDS insecurity and he's always running after someone to believe in him

he needs their validation because he's unsure of every move he makes

but at the same time he knows his teachers are right, because of course they are theyre his teachers duh, so he HAS to trust in that

so thats the ONLY thing he has

Ronnie:
    yeah and he hero worships the monks and everything they did so they can not be wrong no sir

Me:

so i think when he gets indignant and angry about people questioning or laughing at his story and what he can do, instead of taking it as "yo thats weird man" he takes it as "your teachers are foolish old crows"

YE

EXACTLY

• Like x 3
  9. hyrax

THREAD NECRO to say i'm 1/3 of the way through Daredevil s3 e1 and holy shit Foggy's business boy haircut is killing me, i can't even

• Informative x 2
  10. vegacoyote

vegacoyote dog metaphores and pedanticism

11. hyrax

just dropped today, yep!

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  12. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

are we allowed to talk about non-netflix still-mcu still-tv format stuff here? because if so cloak and dagger

i want cloak and dagger to have some kind of crossover event with defenders. especially because we KNOW that o'reilly worked with misty prior to moving down to new orleans.

• Like x 1
  13. vegacoyote

@KarrinBlue totally allowed. Talk away!

On ep. 2 of Daredevil S3.

I was thinking to myself, I wonder if they’re going to use the return of Wilson Fisk as any kind of commentary on the corruption going on in politics right now?

And then I was like. Wait. The hell am I thinking.

You wanna use Wilson Fisk to comment on Trump?

The only possible comment there is “Wilson Fisk for President.”

• Agree x 1
  14. KarrinBlue

i love cloak and dagger v much and i am not sure if any of the mcu tv shows have done anything more iconic than setting their finale climax moment to a cover of Come Sail Away as sung by their main girl character

• Like x 2
  15. KarrinBlue

also i think it would be kinda hilarious to mix the defender's levels of human disaster with cloak and dagger's levels of human disaster.

although. daredevil and C&D's collective catholic imagery might be too much for mortal minds to deal with. hmmmm.

• Like x 2
  16. vegacoyote

... where can watch this?

17. KarrinBlue

it's on hulu!

oh, by the way - there is some potentially triggery stuff in the show? i'll put a general list in spoiler 1 and then have nesting spoilers that go into more detail

• Police brutality/murder
    • In Episode 1, about ten minutes in, Tyrone's older brother is shot by a police officer, who then acts as one of the main antagonists for this arc.
    • Attempted sexual assault
    • Also in Episode 1, very close to the end, a guy Tandy had robbed earlier shows up with friends to take revenge. He assaults her, but she manages to stab him before he can get further than being way too handsy and forcing a kiss on her.
    • Physical abuse
    • In Episode 8, near the end, Tandy and Tyrone enter the mind of Tandy's mother and find out that her husband was physically abusive towards her, and that Tandy's mother hid this from her daughter to protect her idea of her father.
    • emotional abuse
    • This one's sort of subjective but Tandy and her mom do not have a good relationship for the first half of s1 and tend to snipe at each other in almost all conversations
    • Psychological problems, depression, PTSD, maybe these kids should have a therapist
    • Both Tandy and Tyrone have some pretty serious brain problems that they have dealt with almost not at all, mainly survivor's guilt, PTSD, and depression. In episode 4 both of them discuss feeling suicidal, as well, and at one point have an incredibly intense fight over, basically, privilege and racism that at one point has Ty telling Tandy that if she wants to die so bad she should just go and do it (i promise it makes sense in context. none of these kids is ok).
    • Attempted suicide
    • In episode 3, Tyrone and Tandy go on journeys into the others' minds. In Tyrone's visions, he persistently tries to kill someone, but always ends up dying himself, which is directly described by another character as repeated suicide by cop. Additionally, in episode 4, Tandy jumps off a pier with weights around her ankles, but cuts the weights free at the end - it's intentionally ambiguous whether this was an actual suicide attempt, or Tandy trying to force herself to get control of her powers by putting herself in danger. And, in the finale, Tyrone attempts to sacrifice himself to save the city.
    • Gore
    • in episode 8 a supporting character is straight up murdered and dismembered and shoved into another character's refrigerator.
    • Waterboarding
    • In episode 3, during Tyrone's journey into Tandy's mind, he sees her watching her father be murdered in various ways. One of these is basically waterboarding.
    • Drug use
    • Tandy has some problems with substance abuse - alcohol and drugs mostly, and mostly in episode 1 and the end of episode 4, I want to say? her mother is also an alcoholic, and at one point the sympathetic-police-character Brigid O'Reilly does cocaine with another cop character.
    • Lynching imagery
    • In episode 3, during Tandy's journey into Tyrone's mind, she sees him trying to kill the cop that killed his brother, and always being caught and dying himself. At one point we see him running from them, then a shot of a rope noose hanging from a tree. there isn't more than that but. yeah.
    oh wow there were more of these than i thought there'd be. tandy and ty have basically -3 coping mechanisms between them, though they do improve somewhat as time goes on? hopefully.

• Informative x 1
  18. KarrinBlue

basically cloak and dagger is the story of 2 disaster teens getting shanghaid by the universe into being disasters together.

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  19. KarrinBlue

it does have a lot of really cool stuff tho. the music is excellent, the visual imagery is not exactly SUBTLE but considering that the whole light/dark motif is built into the show from the beginning it's still very nicely done, the actors are great, there are some wonderful supporting cast members - tyrone's parents, another female character named Evita - and it did a ton of research into New Orleans culture (it's a minor plot point that Tyrone's dad is a member of a Mardi Gras Indian tribe, and the showrunners actually went to a real life tribe to ask for help with making sure they represented everything properly - in fact, all the background members for those scenes are actually Mardi Gras Indians in real life, and the memorabilia collection and house seen in the show are, in fact, that tribe's real life collection at their real life meeting place.)

and, not to mention, if you like fucked up teens talking about their problems* and also having those problems represented in weird hypersymbolic mindscapes, then you have come to the right show.

*not always talking about their problems well or in a totally healthy mindframe. but they are talking? so y'know.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice