the gayest skating anime (Yuri!!! On ICE)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Astrodynamicist, Oct 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

And if it came across like my point was actually 'Yuri has actually done nothing wrong' that's not what I meant at all. He does need to be called on his abrasive behavior and he does need to learn to respect other people. But I think learning how to accept affection from others is important too.

2. Who what

what's an FFA

Also I misread you asking where Yurio's parents are as asking where JJ's parents are and I was like :psyduck: right there in the bleachers?? but then I relized you were talking about Yurio and I was like :psyduck::psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

3. devian

devian Well-Known Member

Fail Fandom Anon, it's a big anon meme on Dreamwidth where people talk about fandom stuff.

4. Peophin

Peophin Easily Distracted

^ yeah, that.

There's a lot of legit interesting discussion/ideas/recs in the YOI threads on there, but also a lot of cynicism and wank over the weirdest things. They fight over the canonicity of Yuuri/Victor, what the rings mean, whether or not Yuuri is a virgin, whether or not Victor and Chris ever had a fling... I could go on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like x 1
  5. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

@ZeroEsper

Oh, yeah when I say 'his grandpa and Otabek are the only people he is really gentle with' I mean... he becomes pliable when accepting affection from them too. He becomes softer around them. Which is nice, because even at the end of the show he's pretty defensive around Yuuri and Victor.

Honestly, I'd probably be more defensive of Yuri if I saw a lot of people comment on him negatively. My main experience has been Yuri fans calling my personal fav the Worst Ever for a joke but if I saw more people shittalking him I'd probably step up to the plate for him... him being a kid and all who's dealing with a lot. I wish we got more backstory on his home situation, but here's hoping for season 2.

My main issue with Yurio is that he gets away with being pretty physically intimidating and being like... pretty violent with people a lot. It's not like I want him punished but I do think it's something it would be nice for characters to be like.... 'what was that' about. Partially I'm not sure if the violence is meant to be comedic, or if that kind of thing is purely subjective to the audience. (Anyway I don't want Yuri to be punished in general - I just get upset when fandom doesn't have consistent morals despite the fact I don't care about enforcing morals on characters - just inconsistency is the issue)

Also, wondering because I didn't catch it... do we actually know that Yuri had to live away from his family? As in, do we know anything concrete about his family? I've been wondering if anything was confirmed aboutt his parents - if they left him, if they died, if it's just a matter of living apart because I've only seen his grandpa as his guardian. I'd wondered if that might be part of his issues, but I wasn't sure if we knew for sure. Either way, I find Yuri's relationship with his grandpa one of the most touching skater - support system relationships.

• Like x 3
  6. Oh. Okay.

7. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

@Charlie (sorry, for some reason the reply feature isn't working?)

Oh yeah no, the physical intimidation and violent tendencies need to stop. He probably almost gave poor Yuuri a heart attack at the beginning of the series. He needs to learn how to regulate his emotions better.

As for living apart from his family: when Otabek met him, they were at a summer camp, so I believe that he was staying there at the training place rather than at home, although it's possible he went home every night. I think whenever he started training with Yakov is whenever he left home, because Yakov lives in a different city from Yuri's Grandfather (as evidenced by the fact that him getting to see his Grandfather is treated as A Big Deal and not just 'Yuri, you saw him yesterday'). My understanding of professional sports is that if you want to work for a particular team or train under a particular coach, you go to where they are, not vice versa. So whenever he started competing competitively is probably when he stopped living with his Grandfather.

I definitely think Yuri fans have some problems with over-defending him. And in doing so, I think they tend to simplify him a lot? Like, a lot of the team I see the words 'teen angst' applied to Yuri. Yeah, that's definitely part of it, but I think the other part of it is that Yuri's idea of unconditional love comes from his Grandfather who he doesn't even get to see half the time and the kid doesn't know how to make friends. I think being friends with Otabek came easily to him because Otabek was totally transparent - he literally asked if Yuri wanted to be friends instead of just starting to act as if they were. I think understanding exactly where they stood was helpful to Yuri.

And Kubo actually confirmed that Yuri has been the breadwinner for his family since he was a rookie :)

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  8. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Hey, I feel like this Victor/Yuuri fanzine would be up the alley of some of the people who've posted in here! (NSFW through link.)

• Like x 1
  9. devian

devian Well-Known Member

aaaa I saw a picture of the cover on twitter but didn't know where you actually purchased the thing, thank

• Like x 1
  10. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

I can't... this sort of thing... I barely have any money... I can't spend anything on myself... sure I've been having a rough time but I....

...don't tell my girlfriend.

• Like x 3
  11. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

Moral dilemma solved: buying something stupid for her too. Don't tell anyone else.

• Like x 4
  12. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  13. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

Yuri who taught you that, go to your room and put a real shirt on.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Well someone's getting hitched.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  15. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

that is not a season 2 trailer

16. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

care to explain?

17. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

The text in the video doesn't mention season two, it's just an official merchandise announcement.

• Informative x 3
    • Useful x 1
  18. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

-deflated flop-

• Witnessed x 2
  19. Another Shy One

Another Shy One More books than clothes

I just checked the vid comments and yeah...its for the dvds... at least we got a preview of yuri's exhibition after worlds? Sorry i got everyones hopes up :( idk why it says season 2 trailer on it

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    • Informative x 1
  20. Still pretty good though, do not regret watching.

• Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice