the gayest skating anime (Yuri!!! On ICE)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Astrodynamicist, Oct 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

WAIT THOUGH

WAIT

Apparently there's going to be a feature length film of YOI

Deets

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
  2. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

me, immediately: i wonder if jj will be in it

• Like x 3
  3. chthonicfatigue

look who turned up unannounced at my door this morning

IMG_1058.JPG
    HE'S SO FUCKING CUTE I CAN'T

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 3
  4. oooh! where did you preorder from? I haven't heard a thing from CrunchyRoll, but they said September on the website.

5. chthonicfatigue

I pre-ordered through PlayAsia! I've always found them really good - it's where I ordered all my Gyakuten Saiban games when you couldn't source them in the UK.

6. I just used an emulator. >.>

7. Birdy

Birdy so long

OKAY SO LIKE

I just finished the series and I have a prediction for season 2/this movie/whatever comes next. it's a terrible prediction because i like terrible things

Yurio's gonna get hurt. Probably badly.

it never really ends up going anywhere, but all through the series it's said that he pushes himself too hard, takes too many risks, he's too young and his body can't take it

(I'm thinking specifically of how he practically collapses after his free skate in I think episode 9. yuuri even notes how utterly spent he is, but sort of scarily, he's the only one)

it's also noted that he's not going to be a delicate ice fairy for very much longer, and he can't possibly keep that ridiculous flexibility as he grows. I think the next logical step for his character is for him to crash hard into puberty, and either: discover, painfully, that he can't manage something he used to be able to do OR since he has problems with not being viewed as tough or masculine enough (as others in the thread have noted, yes I read the whole thing), get too eager to show off strength he hasn't really grown into yet, push too hard, and pay for it, painfully

(if this were to happen you could set up parallels with the fact that victor is coming to the end of his career, and maybe yurio would be forced to find some common ground with him and maybe even learn to tolerate people being nice to him? who knows)

If he does get injured it probably won't be career-ending because that would be really really terrible especially for someone so young, and as emotional as the show got it never dwelt too deeply on angst and all. the world of Yuri on Ice is one where Things Work Out and I honestly hope that will continue to be the case

pretty much though, I want this because Yurio is still an terrible child even after everything and i want him to cry the bitterest tears. Follow in the footsteps of Other Yuri, and earn your character development through PAIN!

-

also because I don't want to just talk about my terrible terrible theories having just finished the series, allow me to note that victor and yuuri are wonderful, my heart is full of stars, and I'm crying with joy forever

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  8. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

*EYEZOOMS*
    y'know what would this would also open Yuratchka up to?
    help from and training with Otabek 'Not A Ballet Dancer' Altin. Everyone else having endless floods of tips and advice and like none of them work out because Yuratchka is not Other People (tm) and can't approach the problme like they all did out of a combination of brattyness and genuinely not getting how that kinda stuff is supposed to work because he just always did things this way why should he change that and do shit like being careful??? No????
    In comes Otabek, going 'So you cannot do the flexible shit anymore and you don't know how to do the strength based stuff yet. Well how about you drop the ice fairy thing and also people's tips and expectations and just get a feeling for how your body is now, instead of how it will be at the end of all this. Do what feels natural. Leave other people's opinions at the door and just conquer the rink as your own.'
    and then they kiss

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  9. Birdy

Birdy so long

shit you're so right that would be awesome

it's like it's already all there

(I would like to see him be a little nicer/more graceful towards some non-Otabek people as well! because as he grows up, additionally, the brat thing is gonna stop being cute really fast. but hey, kid's gotta start somewhere)

• Agree x 1
  10. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Yeah definitely and I think the fact that Otabek is very direct and no-nonsense about communicating probably would help ground Yuratchka a little so his first response to people trying to help isn't 'verbally go for the throat' quite so much. Plus Otabek is already a friend and the only one who straight up asked him "Hey wanna be friends?" so I think Yuratchka is much more likely to even accept help from him than from anyone else :P

• Agree x 2
  11. Speaking of Season 2, I can see Victor coaching Yuuri while competing against him going bad in so many fucking ways.

(Also I wanna see that fic yall)

• Agree x 4
  12. Birdy

Birdy so long

I almost don't want it to ._. pls let them be happy, they've earned it. healthy rivalries and pushing each other to do better is sweet too. But if there was no drama there would be no story!

• Agree x 3
  13. Birdy

Birdy so long

Alright, y'know, fuck it. I want to write more. Self-indulgent fanfiction is as good a place to start as any

inspired by:
    i was gonna have it be quoted directly but it didn't seem quite in character? though I really can't be sure of characterization idk. Yuri ended up way nastier than I originally intended him to be.

I didn't do any research or anything, and I didn't edit very closely, so you're forewarned.

feat. Victor being condescending and Yuri saying fuck every other sentence, because that's how I spoke when I was 15

He likes practicing in the middle of the day, when the sunlight comes in high and bright through the windows and everyone else is taking a break to eat lunch or whatever.

He stays out on the ice, because he's not everyone else, he's Yuri Plisetsky, Grand Prix gold medalist at fifteen, and dammit if he didn't do everything it took to get there and more. So it's really obnoxious how much his feet are starting to hurt. He's been skating since early morning, but he's tougher than this, his body shouldn't be complaining at him with the day not even half-over.

Eventually, he fumbles what should be an easy step sequence, and the pain and stiffness is really too much to ignore. He tells himself that the ice is too chewed up to bother working for much longer anyway, and goes to assess the damages.

It's annoying that he can't stop from hissing in pain as he works his skates off in the locker room. His feet are a rainbow of bruises and pressure sores, and the cold air from the open rink door makes it feel worse, not better. He feels a faint thrill of panic - if he doesn't ice his feet, they're gonna swell, he might not be able to get his skates back on later, and then what is he gonna do? -but he ignores it and starts wiping off his blades. It's all just equipment, and his skates need seeing to before his feet, anyway.

"Yurio?" Victor's soft voice, from the rink door. He must be back from eating.

Yuri doesn't look up. "You know my name isn't Yurio. Fuck do you want?"

Victor wanders over to lean against the lockers, and Yuri still doesn't look up. He's wiping out the insides of his boots. Victor can pull a Phichit and take a goddamn picture if it fascinates him so much.

"You should ice your feet," Victor says, and that gets Yuri to look up.

"You think I'm fucking stupid?" he snaps. "I'm going to." Victor only makes a little moue at him, and Yuri wishes he still had his skates on, so he could kick Victor in the shins.

"You were coming down pretty hard on your jumps earlier," Victor says. "You could-"

"Shut up and stop pretending that you're not complete garbage as a coach," Yuri growls. He's wiggling his toes, trying to get feeling back into them, and he's not looking at Victor anymore.

"You've grown," says Victor after a moment, as if he's had some kind of revelation, as if it's not obvious. "Your center of gravity is changing and you're not fully compensating for it yet."

Yuri looks up just so he can fix Victor with the most withering gaze possible. "What, you think I'm getting fat, like your pig boy lover? Piss off, I don't need to hear about ice and jumps and fucking centers of gravity from you"

Victor doesn't seem impressed with Yuri's dagger eyes. After a couple seconds pass, Yuri thinks he's just going to wander away, but he realizes Victor's looking down at his battered feet. Stung, Yuri pulls them under the bench and hunches defensively, and Victor, as is only fucking typical, seems to come to some unknown, unfathomable decison.

He sighs, very quietly. "Yuri...Yurachka," and Yuri bridles at the diminutive, something vicious already on the tip of his tongue, "You're at a point of transition in your career. Your body is changing, and I know you know how important it is not to put too much stress on your joints and bones as they develop. One injury could be the end." Victor's looking down at him, so the hair falls in his eyes. His tone is even, paternal, and serious - exactly as you'd expect a coach to sound. Yuri wants to kill him.

He scrambles to his feet. Pain zings all the way up to his knees, but he doesn't stumble or sit back down. "You worthless bastard, you're gonna stand here and treat me like I don't already fucking know?"

He lunges forward, standing on tiptoe - his ankles scream - so that he can shout directly in Victor's face. "So fucking what I'm growing? I know! It's my own goddamn body! But I'm never going to be able to surpass it and keep skating at a high level if people treat me like...like a six year old girl!"

In his mind's eye, he sees Yuuko's triplets, their mother herding them off the ice because they're just too young, and his head swims with rage. He's not a child, he's not weak, and his throat doesn't close for a moment with terror at how much is at stake, with how much pain he's in, has been in, and he sees himself dropping to hands and knees on the ice at Rostelecom, retching and gasping, one injury could be the end.

Victor, unfazed, looks down at him. He's wearing one of those stupid Nikiforov expressions that could mean literally anything, annoyance or disappointment or sadness or forebearance or hatred or something. He reaches up and pushes the hair out of his eyes.

"Yuri. I hate to see you skate with such reckless disregard for your limits, especially when it's only in practice." His expression shifts, minutely, fondness or wistfulness or worry. "You're too good of a skater - too much skill, and far too much artistry - to burn yourself out so soon."

Yuri's breathing like he does after skating, ragged and hard, every inch of his body feels hot, and - this happens more and more these days - he can't explain why this fills him with absolute blind fury.

"WHY? SO I CAN BECOME LIKE YOU?" He snarls, and feels a stab of cruel gladness to see Victor's eyes widen. "So that I can have a long career? So that I can stop giving my whole self to skating because I'm BORED? So that I can fade into the background and be a shitty coach for some skater who could be great if he wasn't so fucking WEAK? So that I can be around long enough to see everything I worked for FUCKING SHOWN UP, and just stand there and pretend to be HAPPY about it? So that I can skate one last shitty season even though I know it's fucking OVER? SO THAT I CAN BE FORGOTTEN LIKE YOU'LL BE, NIKIFOROV?!?"

Yuri has to drop back onto his flat feet. He can't see straight, his skin is on fire, and his feet and ankles are pounding. He drops down to sit on the bench, not really on purpose. His chest heaves. He watches Victor.

He's let his hair fall back in his face. His expression is more opaque than ever.

"I have practicing to do. Ice your feet," he says, in that soft tone, like nothing at all happened.

He turns away, and says over his shoulder, "Be careful, Yurachka."

Yuri is left screaming the most horrible thing he can think of at Victor's back as he disappears deeper into the locker room to put on his skates.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    • Like x 5
    • Winner x 1
  14. Birdy

Birdy so long

man i'm crowding the thread but if you read that thing above, you've got any #HotTakes, and you're so inclined, DM me? i want to know what people think

15. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

so they played history maker at the actual grand prix final

• Winner x 14
    • Agree x 1
  16. chthonicfatigue

I missed the preorder for Yurio but found a source (Charming Sushi, thank you!) and he arrived today and lOOK at his cross little face and kitty ears

IMG_1289.JPG

My cat won't leave him alone. I think it's the ears.

Also got a cute little YOI charm in the parcel as a surprise.

• Winner x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice